Near mute kitty

emmygoat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After over a year of owning Toothless, he finally made a noise that one would call a meow. Normally, the only sounds he ever makes is this weird chirp. And not the kind that everyone calls a chirp when they talk to birds. He doesn't even do that. No, his chirp (it's the only way I know how to describe it) is like a very high pitched mew that's only half a second long and very choppy. Like he never learned how to meow. And he only does it when he's hungry or when I have something he wants. And other than that, and the one small meow he did this morning, he doesn't make a sound.

Anyone else have strangely mute kitties?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Yes! Chula and Paul are brother and sister and rarely meow. When they purr, the only way I can tell is by touching their throats. They've been with me for 10 months and I don't think I've heard either one meow more than three times. When they do, it's very soft.

Having always had talkers in the past, it took me awhile to get used to the silence!

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Elfie meows every so often. Only when she's really hungry after a heavy play session, and she sees me preparing it. As if to say 'hurry, human!'. But honestly that's maybe once every few days. Normally she just stares at me, silently. She is, however, more expressive with her eyes than other cats that I've expierenced, but that could just be in my head lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emmygoat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Elfie meows every so often. Only when she's really hungry after a heavy play session, and she sees me preparing it. As if to say 'hurry, human!'. But honestly that's maybe once every few days. Normally she just stares at me, silently. She is, however, more expressive with her eyes than other cats that I've expierenced, but that could just be in my head lol.
I know what you mean when it comes to expressive eyes. Toothless is the same. He has such an expressive face and I can always tell what he wants by looking at his face.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
My kitty Zoe was like that when she was younger.   I got her when she was 3 months old, and I wondered if there was something wrong with her, as I'd never heard of a cat that didn't meow!  When she did make a noise, it was such a tiny little squeak.  

Now she's 6 and even though her meow is still just that little squeak, she is a lot more vocal than she used to be.  It's funny to see a full grown cat making such a tiny noise.