Naughty Sully, flooding the house!

colleenh1212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have a very naughty Bengal mix named Sully. One of her favorite things to do is play in her water bowl. Normally I don't mind, but lately she's been emptying out her water dishes completely, including the second one we have at our other kitty station. It wouldn't be such a big deal except I have hard wood throughout my apartment and I rent. Does any one have any suggestions to stop/ contain the water. We leave the tub dripping for her but I think she thinks making a mess is funny. Help!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Put a tray under the water bowls to catch the spills. Most pet stores sell trays for food and water bowls. You may be able to find something similar at a dollar store or home goods type store. Or sneak home a tray from the local mall's food court
You can also line the tray with a water absorbent mat. Pet stores sell these, too.

Try using very heavy bowls for the water or even one that suctions to the floor.

Try a water fountain. Some cats like to see moving water.

Some breeds of cats just like playing in water. I think Bengals are one of them. Your cat isn't naughty. She's just playing even though the spilled water is annoying to you.

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
@colleenh1212
Your Bengal is not naughty. Think she's fascinated by water.
Is there someone home all the time? If yes, you don't have to leave the water bowl out. Just give water to her as and when. Are you feeding wet or dry? If it's wet, you don't have to worry so much that she is not getting enough water. But dry, yes, you have to leave her water bowl out.
My boy is also fascinated by the sound of flowing water. Every time we wash in the sink, he'll jump in :lol3: and also he'll go to the tap and lick the drops of water from the tap. When we fill his water bowl, he'll drink for awhile and the next moment, his paw is in it :lol3:
Yes, maybe a tray would help as what @LTS3 suggests. But if your kitty likes playing with water, the tray is no use too because she'll be in the tray too. The absorbent mat seems like a better idea and hopefully he is not a paper ripper and pull it off from under the water bowl and that will also be a mess.
It's just her playful character.