Natures Variety

jblackman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have included Natures Variety raw as part of my rotation feeding for my 2 young adult cats. I am currently feeding the diets for dogs. There has been some back and forth about the lack of Taurine in the new dog formulas. I feed at most 1- 2 meals per week of raw the rest is quality canned foods for cats. My cats are feed 2 meals daily.

Is this lack of Taurine supplementation detrimental?

Does organ meat naturally provide Taurine?

How can we add  Taurine to this food at safe levels?

Dog versions are cheaper.

Jamie

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is this lack of Taurine supplementation detrimental?

- YES. Cats cannot generate it themselves.
Does organ meat naturally provide Taurine?

- IIRC Hearts are the best, however it has been mentioned that Taurine degrades over time, hence the need for supplementation. Without supplementation the manufacturer cannot guarantee the amount in their food. This doesn't mean that there isn't ANY in the food.

How can we add Taurine to this food at safe levels?

-Run to a health food store (GNC, Vitaminshoppe, ect) and buy the capsules (500 mg) and mix in with their raw. 1 capsule per day will be fine.

http://feline-nutrition.org/answers/answers-how-much-taurine-should-i-add

-Dog versions are cheaper.

Yep. I have 3 cats and until the formula change they would get NV canned and NV raw daily. I would buy the lamb in patties, as it was cheaper per oz than the smaller quantities. Now I mix NV dry with their canned and they get 1-2 raw patties per week (Duck).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jblackman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the information it helps greatly. I also left out that I have a newly adopted 4 month old and have not included NV raw in his diet due to the lack of taurine. With your recommendations I might try an occasional meal of raw until he get's older as a treat. My two older cats really enjoy their raw meals.
Thanks again.lo

wallycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My only comment about dog food for cats, and this is purely my thinking...dogs are omnivores; cats are obligate carnivores.  The reason dog food is cheaper is because it can include a lot of ingredients that are not meat, thereby making it cheaper in comparison to cat food (at least well made cat food).

Taurine is essential for cats.  Without it they will not thrive.

If you like NV brand, why not buy the cat food.  It is one of the few foods my cats will eat...dry but still not the canned.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Many vets have said, you should never feed a cat dog food but it's ok to feed a dog cat food. They have different nutritional needs!

I looked into NV raw for my cats, too many fruits & veggies for me. The carb content was too high if I remember. I feed them the NV Instinct canned, it's a GREAT food plus there are lots of varieties so kitty doesn't get bored with eating the same thing day in & day out.

joleca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

If you like NV brand, why not buy the cat food.
The problem is with the "changed" formula and the "cat only" versions, they now only come in very small 1.25 lb bags (and only in 3 proteins) at a cost of 2 to 3 times the price of the "dog only" versions.

The previous version which was cat/dog was available in 4lb and larger bags and at a reasonable price.   For most of us, the cost of the new cat only version is prohibitive.  For my babies, it would run me over $400 a month.   That's the reason why people are looking into the "dog" version if it can be made nutritionally complete by supplementing the missing Taurine.

jblackman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I purchased the NV raw from Persmart, sample bags were on sale. That's when I noticed the change, also reading some of the posts here alerted me. Had several bags did want to use. This weekend went to GNC bought Taurine supplement tabs crushed and added. Went over well was eaten.
Is there a complete raw frozen prepared that is on market currently ?

joleca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there a complete raw frozen prepared that is on market currently ?
I found a very small boutique dog food store in my area that carries a brand called "Nature's Logic" which states on the bags that it is nutritionally complete for both dogs & cats (and has pictures of both on the label).    They don't carry in the "bites" form, only 3 1/2 oz & 8 oz patties.   I bought some to try for my 3 and they have eaten it, but doesn't seem like they like it as much as the Nature's Variety.

You can go online to their website and see if there's a store in your area that does carry it (I've only found the 1 store in my area).   I think the price is comparable to Nature's Variety (they have 3 and 6 lb bags in chicken, rabbit, beef, venison..   not sure if anything else, that's what this store carries),  might even be a little bit cheaper.

jblackman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks will look into it. I have been feeding Natures Logic dry products to my allergic golden retriever, great product.
Thanks

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My only comment about dog food for cats, and this is purely my thinking...dogs are omnivores; cats are obligate carnivores.  The reason dog food is cheaper is because it can include a lot of ingredients that are not meat, thereby making it cheaper in comparison to cat food (at least well made cat food).

Taurine is essential for cats.  Without it they will not thrive.

If you like NV brand, why not buy the cat food.  It is one of the few foods my cats will eat...dry but still not the canned.
When it comes to NV RAW aside from taurine the ingredients of their raw dog and cat food are identicial.

Until recently this included the large patty size which was great for multiple cats because it was slightly cheaper per oz than the smaller bites bag.

The ingredients of the NV Instinct canned food is the same (dogs and cats), and for multiple cats buying the dog food (13 oz) can is cheaper.

Strangely enough I was speaking with a person who does dog rescue and he had said that some breeds would benefit with added taurine. go figure.