Nature's Variety Instinct canned food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I am still up---about to go to bed now.

Artie started eating the NV pork at around 7pm, a half hour after I gave him his pepcid. He took the pepcid very well. He ate a half a small can of food. Just now he went over to eat the rest of it.He is so fussy, he will starve himself before he will eat something he does not want........

stubborn cat....giving me more grey hair.

I know there are a lot of thoughts on raw feeding... it it just not for me....I do not think it will ever be...

I do not mind the NV food to be high in calories.. Artie is a very lean cat, and he is always running around the house. We play a lot of chase,  peek 'a boo, and hide and seek....

I will leave some more food out tonight for him. 

Good night everyone...thank you so much for your advice....and listening to my whinings and stories....

Last edited:

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Our cats do very well on about half raw food (morning and evening) and half canned food (mid-day and night)... and they get canned foods with a broad range of fat calories. I was just looking at the food chart on catinfo.org: I hadn't realized until you mentioned it how heavy in fat calories the Instinct foods are. I wonder if that's why the consistency is so heavy? Our cats just never took to those foods.
I looked at the chart as well.  Tiki Cat has a lot of protein & no carbs.  That's why I thought it was good stuff for my first cat.  Want to stay away from fish this time.  If Fancy Feast did not have so many carbs some of there flavors might be better than Instinct.  I was reading on that U Stew link that cats should only have 20% fat. Now I am more confused.  Gave my girl a little raw lean ground beef tonight.  She ate it but not with the speed of her canned food.  If giving her raw will means she can have more food  & better for her, I think I will try it.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
HI Riley, I've been warned that ground beef from the grocery store is probably one of the most dangerous foods on the planet as far as bacteria.  Just FYI.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As far as the raw, I had a bunch of freeze dried Stella and Chewy's in the fridge for 3 months because I bought it on impulse and then was afraid to start feeding it.

Then I read about using it as a topper and I tried it.  They all love it!  The freeze dried is so easy to store and prepare and no worry about bacteria. 

The problem is it's about $2.00 per meal.  If I ever win the lottery I will (along with my chauffer) purchase Stella and Chewy's exclusively. For now, we'll just have to find a way to economize.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

HI Riley, I've been warned that ground beef from the grocery store is probably one of the most dangerous foods on the planet as far as bacteria.  Just FYI.
Thanks, but where does one get fresh meat if not the grocery store?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I looked at the chart as well.  Tiki Cat has a lot of protein & no carbs.  That's why I thought it was good stuff for my first cat.  Want to stay away from fish this time.  If Fancy Feast did not have so many carbs some of there flavors might be better than Instinct.  I was reading on that U Stew link that cats should only have 20% fat. Now I am more confused.  Gave my girl a little raw lean ground beef tonight.  She ate it but not with the speed of her canned food.  If giving her raw will means she can have more food  & better for her, I think I will try it.
Yes, Tiki Cat is very good food: I think about half the canned foods we feed our cats are Tiki. They particularly love the Gourmet Carnivore foods. The only fish I give them is the luau chicken/salmon food.

As for the raw foods questions, I feed all commercial raw foods, partly because that's how I feel most comfortable with the bacteria question. I also feed commercial foods because they're already balanced with nutrients. Plus freeze-dried foods are ridiculously convenient and the cats love them. If you want to ask about raw feeding, you might want to start a thread in the raw and home-cooked forum: there are lots of people there who can offer ideas on where and how to buy raw meat and make it into cat food!

The problem is it's about $2.00 per meal.  If I ever win the lottery I will (along with my chauffer) purchase Stella and Chewy's exclusively. For now, we'll just have to find a way to economize.
I get a great mental picture of a limo driving up to a pet food store!
S&C is definitely not cheap and I know I'm lucky to get pretty reasonable prices for most of the foods I feed... oddly, when I do the calculations, even Rad Cat comes out around the same price as, say Wellness Core, on a per-serving basis. And raw foods seem to fill the cats up better than canned. But, again, I know I'm lucky with a lot of the pricing where I live. The downside is the time I spend shopping for the stuff, though the people in our local stores are so helpful I'm happy to support them.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's not that it's meat, it's that it's ground meat. 

When the beef is ground at the store my understanding is the pathogens get mixed into and/or colonize within the meat. 

With your steak it's a different story as it's a solid piece of beef and the bacteria can't penetrate the surface very easily.  That's why you can order your steak rare, but try and do that with your hamburger.  That's also why you see people who make raw cat food using grinders instead of buying ground beef.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks, I really do not know what is best....but you do make sense.. I just thought changing it up would be good for him. I mean, I always rotated flavors on his FF...and he waited for the variety and really liked it....

I will keep it to one.....

The Vet did not mention anything about switching it up, as I am doing.. The office is closed today. I will see how does tonight with the pork...and tomorrow with more pork...

Any suggestions are worthwhile to me.

I am open to all...

sigh..

sometimes I need a good kick in the butt.....

I am overtired right now...got to bed late, did not sleep well and Artie woke me up early... I was out most of the day....whining now....I gotta go....thanks..
Not at all did I think you were being snarky, I took it as you are clueless with all this IBD stuff, as it's all new to you, but the vet should have been more clear about the food since your kitty's comfort and well being is counting on it now.

How I figured out what to feed my girl is, what has her diet been mostly made up of when she started with the IBD.

Chicken. Occasionally fish.

So chicken is out. Then look at what's available in limited ingredient, single novel protein source that is NOT chicken, that hopefully she will eat, canned and dry.

My vet had recommended Blue Buffalo Basics limited ingredient dry and canned.

Well fine, got her on dry easy enough, but big issue with the canned, she won't touch that food in canned. 

I tried several brands of turkey, and ended up settling on fancy feast classics, turkey. She eats it fine, but does get bored too, and after a month or so, she stopped being interested in the canned. I'd give her an occasional fish variety, and discovered that fish makes her eyes have discharge. Interesting! So that was out.

So recently I was digging around on what other fancy feast flavors are out there in turkey, and did find some! Had to read the ingredients too since chicken and fish might be added, and before I realized it, she was reacting to these newly added varieties again.

That's when I went through every turkey flavor they have and found that a couple I started feeding did have chicken, but there are many that only had turkey, and now she is getting her variety and all's good again.

They are not all the classics unfortunately, but they don't have any carageenan either, which is another trigger ingredient for lots of cats.

Krissy immediately reacts if I have tried feeding her more than one protein, which is why I thought to ask you about your vet's advice and whether she specified single or not, as I don't know of any cats with IBD who get several proteins in their diet, switched daily or often.

Eventually they can be on a rotation, but it's over weeks or months, gradual too. 

I know the minute I give Krissy anything other than turkey, by the next day she vomits and feels awful.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I really do not know what to think anymore. I am literally spinning...

I get really apprehensive and anxious at times. I tried very hard to find a good Vet. I really like this one, so I hope she is giving me the correct info. Artie really likes her too. The staff all know both of us...I feel as if I can really ask her questions and she explains.She is new and up to date with things. ..It was suggested by the humane society that I go to a different Vet, who is less expensive, but their on line reviews are iffy...good and bad. I know you can find that anywhere. Yes, money is a question, but i will give up things so that Artie is well taken cared of.  A couple reviews say that the office stank! and the staff was horrible. They kept cats in their carriers and not in cages for hours, when arriving for surgery...

When Artie's heart murmur was diagnosed, by one of the Vets at my Vet's office; I called the humane society and told them. It was a very strong murmur. They told me that they could take him to their own Vet for confirmation of it...and then they would authorize an echo. He would have to wait all day in his carrier. I said no way...I took him to an echo which my own Vet arranged. Turns out he has a functional murmur. It is much stronger when under stress...You can barely hear it now...He is much calmer with my Vet.

He had to have a couple teeth taken care of and the Vet was afraid of putting him under anesthesia...that is why the echo. It was all found on his first Vet Visit after adoption. By then I feel in love with this boy...he took a place in my heart.

I have had to take Artie twice to an e-Vet.  I did not care for them at all. Very cold, and talk about expensive, But they are very good for extreme emergencies. Issue was, Artie was so petrified and they worked him up so much...

I guess I do not trust my judgement about Vets. I worked in the medical field my entire life, having seen a lot of bad things which can happen to people who get inferior medical care. I am afraid of that happening to Artie. I do not know many people who have cats. My cousins do, but their Vets are no where close to me. I cannot keep Artie that long in the car..he freaks out...

I am not trying to second guess anyone. I am just so confused right now. I cannot deal with anything bad happening to Artie right now...I know he is starting to get up there, 11 years old...too much has happened in my life recently. 

I apologize for going on and on....

Ok--on to him and food. Last night he ate 1.5 small cans of pork...I ran out of my supply. Today I used the lamb which I have a lot on hand. He refused to eat anything. I was really worried about him not eating and getting hepatic acidosis...and getting his tummy worse. 

I gave him his liquid pepcid. He took the fish flavor really well, but did vomit up about a tablespoon of liquid. I noticed a couple small strands of fur it it...

He is refusing his food. I gave him a couple of dry GI prescription kibble which I was using as treats to see if he would eat it. He ate just a few....

Now he is not eating anything. He is under his tent. 

I have not felt well myself today.....

Artie slept with me all night. This morning, he was waking me up...as I went to lie back down a while later, He was alert and wanting attention. Did not seem sick at all..but after  having the pepcid and vomiting, he is now somewhat subdued. 

I am afraid that I may be making him sick. I hope not. That is why I was asking for advice. 

Artie was eating Fancy Feast, but then he got tired of all of it and decided not to eat much; then he started vomiting everyday. He would eat, then walk up to me, meow and upchuck what he just ate. The he would try to eat his vomit...right after I cleaned things up, he was right back over to his food! He did this for a couple of weeks, that is when the Vet suggested the novel proteins...

His January blood work came back good. He has early kidney issues. But it is stable..not kidney disease full blown yet, just very early stages. He had a senior screen done.

I have always had problems with him eating. The Vet I go to has been with me thru this entire ordeal with him...3 years. 

When he is in the hospital, he eats really well. It is when he is home, he has me as his slave and he knows he can get away with being fussy.

so I do not know when he is being fussy or he is really sick....or making himself sick by being so stubborn.....

sigh

I sound so pathetic....

I guess I just have too much time on my hands and I read too much.....

I am just hoping that I can get this episode under control. I mean I do want to feed him good food, and/or something he will eat and not get sick from...He does vomit a lot and his blood tests are always ok. He had an ultrasound of his belly over a year ago and it was fine....that was during his last episode of fussy/vomiting.....

He is really a quandary to me...

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Believe me, you are no worse than any of us here when our furbabies aren't doing so good.

I turn in to an anxious mess..........

In my honest opinion here, I think it's a big part of the problem for Artie getting different protein food like he is.

Do yourself a favor, just go on google and type in IBD and what/how to feed, etc. You will see SO many links on this, and most, if not all say single novel protein foods.

I'd be happy to post links here but now have to run an errand for a short time, but can later if that helps :)

IBD people, chime in about this please? The key is a single novel protein correct? 

Would you agree with Artie not settling down is likely due to the variety of proteins?

We need to try to help Artie's mom out :)

Last edited:

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Artie's Mom.  My vets, who I am sure are not incompetent, were not responsible for my IBD kitty getting better.  The people on here were.

Plus you strike me as so resourceful. 

Sorry for repeating if that's the case, but mine had such bloody D. they thought he might have cancer and he's almost completely symptom free now.  As far as food, we tried lamb, then the duck and finally he decided he could eat the turkey (even though it still is sprinkle, sprinkle fortiflora, fluff, fluff with a fork) he'll eat it. 

It took a few weeks, but he continually improved since he's been on one protein.   Now I'm just hoping that most of the time he'll be OK and we'll require some tweaking along the way.  But I would never be here if he was still on Purina veterinary diets and prednisone and I forget what else they prescribed. 

This site is about Feline Kidney Disease, but I found a lot of the information helpful:

http://www.felinecrf.org/index.htm

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Rebs, I have been a member of that website for a couple of years now... it is so helpful!

teeveecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Artiemom my two cats love venison, though it does depend on the brand how much they like/love it.
mickNsnicks2mom,Funny you would suggest venison! I picked up a couple of cans yesterday!  I opened one this morning
What brand of venison are you both feeding your cat? If it's Nature's Variety, what's the expiration date on the bottom of the can? After you reply, I'll explain why I asked.

I ordered about a 3 month supply of Instinct from Chewy's so I guess I will use it. 
If anyone is thinking of ordering Nature's Variety canned Instinct formula, I suggest you order from Petco.com for one major reason - they almost always ship the latest production cycle of the cans. Make sure you order when they offer their top coupon codes and that your order is over $49 for free shipping (There was recently a $15 off $75 offer code or 20%) Their prices are higher than Chewys (my 2nd go to online store for NV) but with the coupon codes and Petco rewards, it's lower. I've gotten NV Instinct large cans for under $2 per can at times from Petco. Chewy also is about 1 or 2 best by date cycles behind Petco.com most of the time. You can also return cans ordered from Petco.com to the stores for refunds.

I've been feeding my cat only Nature's Variety Instinct canned for close to a decade (and practically only the rabbit formula) due to some severe allergic skin problems she had with other brands. Their Instinct rabbit practically saved her from a life of being on and off various treatments and corticosteroids for her skin. That's not to say I haven't had problems with some of their production batches, but they've been very responsive when I correspond, which is frequently.

I've stopped ordering anything that's edible from Amazon including OTC meds. They're great for electronics and supplies, but perishables have been sitting on their shelves for too long. For OTC meds, I only use DrsFostersmith.com (who is now owned by Petco).

Another interesting thing I've found after years of feeding my cat only Nature's Variety is that the color of the food in the small cans is somewhat different than that of the large 5.5 oz. cans, at least for the rabbit. The 3 oz. cans of rabbit contains food that's several shades lighter than in the large 5.5 oz. cans. My cat never will finish anything from the small cans of rabbit, but will always finish the large can, even when the food has been refrigerated for most of the day (I let the can sit for 10-15 minutes after removing from the refrigerator for her other feedings). For that reason, I haven't bought the 3 oz. cans in years.

Last edited:

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is great when the food makes such a difference isn't it! 

I just checked the expiration date on my can from Chewy and it's "Best by January 13, 2018".  Would be surprised if Petco is much different - I'll have to notice that next time I go in.

I've noticed the prices at Chewy aren't quite as good as the used to be, but with the sales tax/autoship discount it's always cheaper by at least $1.00 at Chewy..  Now I use the NV Turkey so not sure if that is true for the other NV flavors.

Last edited:

teeveecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is great when the food makes such a difference isn't it! 

I just checked the expiration date on my can from Chewy and it's "Best by January 13, 2018".  Would be surprised if Petco is much different - I'll have to notice that next time I go in.
Is the January 13, 2018 the best by date you referred to for the NV Instinct Venison or the NV Instinct Rabbit? All formulas have different production cycles. My latest case for the venison is November 12, 2017. I have a case of rabbit from Petco that I ordered several weeks ago that has a best by date of Jan. 13. 2018. The most recent one of NV Instinct rabbit they're shipping is Feb. 9, 2018, which I just received. If you have the Venison formula, please reply ASAP with the expiration date.

In the past few months, Nature's Variety has changed their expiration date policy for their canned Instinct line. They used to have a two year expiration date policy from date of production but extended it to three years. As per that theory, the April, 2018 best by production dates should be in the stores pretty soon.

Are you ordering the small cans or the large cans? I only order the larger 5.5 oz. cans.

Last edited:

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi There!  I only order the turkey.  It's every two weeks from Chewy so I got those cans about a week ago.

Those are the large cans.  I noticed the difference between the large and small as well.  When we were experimenting he would eat the large and not the small.  I think one was fattier than the other.  Never tried the venison. 

teeveecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi There!  I only order the turkey.  It's every two weeks from Chewy so I got those cans about a week ago.

Those are the large cans.  I noticed the difference between the large and small as well.  When we were experimenting he would eat the large and not the small.  I think one was fattier than the other.  Never tried the venison. 
Thanks. I was hoping for a date for the venison. If you received cans with the Jan. 13, 2018 best by dates, that's pretty close to the latest production cycle that's in the stores, although I should think March, 2018 should be there by now.. As previously stated, Chewy is generally about one or two cycles behind Petco, but sometimes they ship the same best by date. I used to order from Petfooddirect but for some reason they would never carry the larger cans of NV Rabbit. Since Petfooddirect has recently been sold to Petsmart, they seem to be carrying the larger cans. I'd be interested to know what best by dates they're shipping these days.

As I've said, I wouldn't order food from Amazon. Wag.com which is owned by Amazon ships very quickly and usually the food arrives by the next day. I've ordered from them in the past, but I would first email them and try to find out what best by dates they have in stock before ordering.

Funny you would suggest venison! I picked up a couple of cans yesterday! I opened one this morning
:heart4:
Artiemom, how's Artie? It's been over a week since you last posted. Would you happen to know the best by expiration date of the NV Venison you purchased? Was it the 3 oz. of the 5.5 oz can? My cat wouldn't eat the 3 oz. can but finishes the 5.5 oz cans.

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. I thought you would be tired of me....

Artie has had his ups and downs.

Artie, as his 'fussy cat' name suggests; suddenly decided to stop eating all the novel protein sources. He decided to starve himself! so he did! All I could do was give him a tiny bit of baby food. He loved his prescription dry. I decided not to give him any more dry...He was holding out for his Fancy Feast!!

He was eating just barely enough to survive. After 2 days of this, I kind of gave up. He also lost a pound!!! I was freaking out!!!!

I gave him a can of FF beef and one of FF chopped grill. 

He devoured them.

I also joined the IBD forum on Yahoo. They also suggested one novel protein, but fancy feast was not bad. 

I decided to stick with Hound and Gatos Lamb. I mix it up with some FF (beef or chopped grill)--no poultry for him and mix in some Forti-Flora. 

It has been about a week now.

He is eating this mix.....

Today is a fussy day...refused to eat this morning, but just now ate his food...good...

He vomited quite a bit, early Sunday morning. But he was also a "Mountain Lion"~~~~~~being that for the first time, ever, decided to jump and perch ON TOP of my kitchen Cabinets, which I cannot even read with a step stool...who knows what kind of junk he found up there!! and he eats everything....

He did throw up a lot, in 3 different locations (at one time) after that. I saw a small fur ball in it....He was fine afterward.

He is eating, but he keeps jumping on top of the cabinets....

He really wants different food, but I am staying stubborn.. He is also in his constipation mode now, so he will not eat much....

It seems that lately he has vomited once a week....hoping to make it to a 2 week stretch....

I will post a copy of the "mountain Lion" Artie story in another thread....

He is just driving me crazy.

Yes, I did order the Hound and Gatos Lamb from Amazon. I will use it up before the expiration date. I do not have an issue with that. I ordered from them because it was faster and easier. I was not able to get to the specialty pet store....

Thanks for the info.. I will certainly check the dates and take your advice...

another day, another Artie story!! LOL!

Last edited:

teeveecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I did order the Hound and Gatos Lamb from Amazon. I will use it up before the expiration date. I do not have an issue with that. I ordered from them because it was faster and easier. I was not able to get to the specialty pet store....Thanks for the info.. I will certainly check the dates and take your advice...another day, another Artie story!! LOL!
Hi Artiesmom. The first thing I would suggest is to order food from sites other than Amazon. Petfooddirect is now owned by Petsmart and I recall Petfooddirect's customer service as being pretty good.
As I've written, I like Petco.com for Nature's Variety with Chewy.com as another go to site.

What's happening with the Nature's Variety? When you fed Artie Nature's Variety Instinct canned Rabbit, was it the large 5.5 oz. can? The small cans (3 oz.) have a distinctly different color than the large cans and must have a different taste as my cat will never finish the small cans. I haven't bought any small cans in years. In order to get a cat off of Fancy Feast, you have to feed the natural canned foods when they're really hungry and have been off of a dry food diet for awhile.

I haven't had much experience with IBD, but Cornell Veterinary College of Medicine has some decent information here:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_resources/brochure_ibd.cfm

Dietary Management
Because dietary allergens may play a role in inflammatory bowel disease, a food trial using hypoallergenic diets may be recommended by your veterinarian. In using a hypoallergenic diet, the key is to use a protein and carbohydrate source that the cat has never eaten before. Rabbit, duck, or venison-based diets are often tried initially.

If the symptoms of IBD are not improved with a hypoallergenic diet, other diets may be tried. Diets high in fiber, low in fat, and easily digestible can be beneficial and are generally better tolerated in cats with IBD. It is important to note that it may take several weeks or longer for cats to improve after a diet change, and during a food trial, all other food sources (including table food, flavored medications, and treats) must be eliminated from the diet.
My vet said to stay away from raw rabbit as most comes from China.
The only canned rabbit that I can think of that was sourced from China was Nature's Variety until they stated they switched to France last year. As their canned Instinct rabbit was the only thing my cat seemed to be able to eat without an allergic skin reaction, I had no choice but to continue feeding her their China sourced rabbit protein for several years. The company assured me that they did sufficient testing and I never had a problem, although I feel safer now that they're sourcing the protein from France. Perhaps your vet made that suggestion as NV may be the only vendor that sells raw rabbit? I'm going to check again with them soon to ensure that France is still where they're obtaining the food.

. i'm wondering if you've tried serving artie venison. my two cats love venison, though it does depend on the brand how much they like/love it.
Are you serving your cats the Nature's Variety Venison, and if so, what's the expiration date and is it the 5.5 oz. can?

Last edited: