Nature Cats

crazycatmom2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 4 kittens who LOVE to be outside, my problem is I live on a very very busy street (no fence) and unfortunately buried too many cats. I was thinking of getting them all a harnest and possibly tying them up to a tree with about 10-15 roaming feet. They get the outside experience without being harmed. Just wondering what your thoughts are and if anyone has tried this before.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tying to a tree is problematic. Kittens and cats love climbing... they are likely to climb something, get tangled in the leash, and be trapped or even choked. Or they may wrestle with each other or chase a bug and be tangled up that way. Having to extricate a panicked cat from a tangled leash is probably not a nice thing, and that's the best of the possible accidents. I guess it works with dogs, who stay on their feet or lie down, but cats... cats are like little furry gymnasts.

But the harness itself is definitely an option. Getting them used to it from a very young age will let you take them on excursions outside, with you on one end of the leash and them on the other. it's not like walking a dog--cats don't have that follow-the-leader instinct. It is more like exploring the world together. If you like, you could loop the leash around your wrist, sit in a lawn chair and read, keeping one eye on the cat. You really do have to be there with the cat if the cat is in a harness and leash.

A more expensive option that requires less supervision is an outdoor enclosure or run, sturdily built and enclosed on all four sides and top. If you can enclose some plants and a small tree or two that would be good. Your cats could spend nice days outside in that enclosure.

I understand your fear about the traffic. Traffic accidents are some of the most common causes of death for outdoor cats, so much so that outdoor cats on average live less than half as long as indoor cats. When cats evolved, there were no roads, cars, or poisons, or humans with BB guns. Now that there are, the outdoors isn't friendly anymore. Just like humans, cats have become an indoor species, whether in barns or on sofas, and going outside is an adventure that has to be planned for.

Last edited:

paws4life

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you build an enclosure make sure to research cat safe plants.