Natural Sleep Aids

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Linda, I can't believe you said that!

Lisalee, if you've been using sleep medicine for a long time, you may be having a rebound effect -- maybe you just need time for your body to adjust to not having those drugs anymore. Meanwhile...

Some things that have helped me get to sleep:

1. Do some hard physical work earlier in the day -- it wears you out so thoroughly that your mind can't keep you awake.

2. Read in bed with dim light -- it makes both your eyes and your mind tired.

3. Keep a fan or white-noise machine running through the night -- it smoothes over all the little nighttime noises.

4. a. Be sure to eat dinner at least three or four hours before bedtime -- so you won't get heartburn or be disturbed by too much digestive activity, but also...

4. b. Have a tiny bit of something just before lying down -- a couple of crackers with a little cheddar cheese works for me.

5. Sometimes cuddling a hot-water bottle wrapped in something soft can be very soothing -- or better yet, cuddle a kitty!

And finally, my favorite:

6. When your mind just runs away with you and you can't control your train of thought (and I surely do know how that is), close your eyes and mentally tell yourself a story. You can envision it happening, like a movie in your head... but even more effective (for me) is mentally typing it, writing it like a novel, watching the words appear on the page. This is hard mental work, and it wears your mind out very quickly. I've never gotten beyond a couple of paragraphs!
Thank you for all the tips! I do always have backround noise, either my air-purifier or a fan, otherwise I would never get any sleep with Will's snoring! That's another thing that keeps me up and drives me crazy. So, some nights I go out and lay on the sofa for a while or I make him go out there because when ever I try to lay out in the living room I wake up to Sash screaming at the bedroom door!
Luckily, Will leaves for work very early so I still get a few more hours to sleep in peace and quiet.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

6. When your mind just runs away with you and you can't control your train of thought (and I surely do know how that is), close your eyes and mentally tell yourself a story. You can envision it happening, like a movie in your head... but even more effective (for me) is mentally typing it, writing it like a novel, watching the words appear on the page. This is hard mental work, and it wears your mind out very quickly. I've never gotten beyond a couple of paragraphs!
I have the same problem, and sometimes it works if I start thinking about different songs, trying to remember the lyrics.

The best thing that puts me to sleep is when DH puts a tv show like The Universe, where it's just basically someone talking. Puts me right out.