Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
mani mani Thanks. He ate the dry food this morning. This evening I gave him a bit of wet with some Forti Flora sprinkled over it. He did eat it. His poop in the litter box this morning looked like a log. So that is an improvement. I called Natural Balance today and asked if they had any change in this food, recall, etc. They said no and said maybe he will get over this. They are sending me some coupons for wet food in the mail to make up for the cans I opened that Snoop wouldn't eat. I do love it when companies give wonderful customer service.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
That is excellent service and very wise as looking after customers is the way to keep them.
:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: that Snoop is on the mend. Log poo is a very good sign. :lol:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This morning he ate his dry meal. He immediately vomited about a third of it in the floor. His poop is still like a log, so the Forti Flora is keeping that okay.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
The vomiting is not so good, but at least he's keeping most of it down.

Excellent poop news. :thumbsup:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Snoop is still not wanting to eat his wet food. He will only eat it when I give it to him with the Forti Flora over the top.
I am going to take back the cans I have to the pet store and see if they can give me a store credit. I want to get him on a different wet food, but I am at a loss for what to try here. He clearly is sending me a message he doesn't like the food anymore.

Has anyone else had a cat who suddenly decides not to eat wet food they previously loved.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Has anyone else had a cat who suddenly decides not to eat wet food they previously loved.
blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946 I'm laughing as that is what Sundar and Nilah do to me all the time.
I have given up thinking I've found 'the food' and stocking up on it, only to find that after a while they just turn up their noses. :lol:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't want to get back to where he is having the diarrhea problem again. I am really nervous about trying any different food

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946 I'm laughing as that is what Sundar and Nilah do to me all the time.
I have given up thinking I've found 'the food' and stocking up on it, only to find that after a while they just turn up their noses. :lol:
Yes, cats do this all the time. And yes, it can cause some real problems when they have food sensitivities.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet told me that 12 pounds would be a good target weight for Snoop. He said feed him around 220 calories per day. I have been doing that measuring the kibble in a 1/4 cup dry measure cup. The recommended amount on the back was 2/3 to 3/4 cup, which was just way too much. That is why he kept gaining weight.

Today, I decided to try him again on the Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck wet food as I had several cans of that left from earlier this year when he was eating it. He has eaten one full can of that, which is 190 calories. I am thinking he can have a few pieces of kibble for a snack before bedtime now. I know he can eat this food without it affecting his stomach. My main goal is to get him stabilized with what he is eating so he doesn't keep gaining weight. I think we are there now. Hopefully his stomach will shrink with eating a lesser amount of calories.
I feel you are on the right track for losing weight and optimal health for a male cat feeding him wet food. Some boys tend to block on dry food and that surgery is very costly to correct and most cats gain weight on dry, like people eating all carbs.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I took back ten cans of the Green Pea and Duck food yesterday. I still had my receipt so they refunded the money. I looked for a food with rabbit or venison. They didn't have one. So I am going to do some online research to determine which one has less calories since he has had stomach issues. The store said they could order whichever I wanted in the Natural Balance brand. I would love to get him completely on wet food, but it might not be possible. He was doing well with one meal dry in the morning and then wet in the evening. He was maintaining his weight loss too.
Part of the problem is I don't know if it was the chicken or the grain and fillers in the dry food the pet store had him eating that caused his severe diarrhea. I remember that Mattie ate Fancy Feast canned and loved it. They had one with beef, but I don't know if their food is grain free. Suggestions welcome here.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Pride by Instict has two types of canned, grain-free rabbit.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AbbysMom AbbysMom Thank you. I just looked at it on Chewy website. What I found was Pride by Instinct, flaked, grain free. There is also pork and pork liver as well as rabbit. Then there are several vegetables. Still, this might work for Snoop. It is far less calories than the Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck wet. That was 190 per 5.5 oz. can and this one by Instinct is 154. It is not a LID food, but I think it might work. Where do you buy it? I buy my food at an independent pet store because they sell it less than the chain pet store does. They said they would try to get some of whatever I decided and let me buy a few cans to try. They were talking about the Natural Balance, but they might be able to get this. I will be going by Pet Smart soon and might can find it there. I think whatever I get I can try just a spoon of it in his dry food which is still the Green Pea and Duck.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I have been getting it from Chewy or Amazon online, but I also have a local pet shop and Petco that carries it. There is a minced version instead of the flaked and Abby prefers that.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you. I know it would be cheaper to buy online, but I don't want to have to buy a case. I am going to look local and see if I can find it. I could be a few cans of the minced and flaked mixed to see which he seems to like better. I think it would be worth a try. I was paying about a dollar and a half per can for the duck. How does it compare pricewise to this.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the Minced and the Flaked Pride rabbit are basically the same recipe, just a difference of 'food style'. The Minced might have a bit more 'gravy' or goop on it. I use the Rabbit (and Duck) Flaked. The only thing I personally watch out for is not giving too much fiber to my cat in her foods, and the label for these usually has the GA for "Crude Fiber (max)" at 3%. So, I just make the Pride foods a meal for once a day, and I don't feed it for every meal.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my cat is allergic to chicken too (she is not the overweight one tho)...They are on Oven Baked Tradition duck recipe atm (dry food) and everything is good. For wet food, If you are trying rabbit, you could try "I and love and you, rabbit". My cats love it. About the dry food and weight, Oven baked trad. is a big 475 cal/cup. My overweight cat did loose on it ...i always measure the amount given and remove her bowl after 30 min even if she didnt eat her full 1/8 cup, so she cant snack on it between meals.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I finally had chance to check all three local pet stores for food. Yesterday I found small cans of Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Green Pea and Venison made Natural Balance. It has less calories than the Green Pea and Duck wet food that he was eating. I bought home two small cans to try. I thought that would be enough to tell if he would like it and if it would be easy on his stomach. This morning I mixed just a little of it with some of the dry Green Pea and Duck kibble that he eats. So far, so good. I am going to keep him on the porch so I can know for sure if he vomits or has a diarrhea problem from the food. He never hesitated or smelled, etc. He just ate it like he was used to it. We will see.

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you want to stick with a limited ingredient food, Nature's Variety Instinct is available in limited ingredient varieties, including duck, and is usually easy to find at common pet stores. It helps to rotate a few different kinds of wet food so that the cat won't get tired of having one flavor all the time, so it would be good to try and find 2 or 3 different types that he likes and digests well.