Naming your cat :)

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jasmine was nameless for a week before I finally settled. I originally was going to name her Sashimi or Nabisco (This was 16 years ago, don't judge lol) and then I realized she was a little princess! So she became Jasmine :p

A friend of ours had a litter of kittens and all were claimed except a black and white kitten. I chose Lydia because of the girl from Beetlejuice. Well, when we arrived to get her, someone had changed their mind and left behind the tortie and took "our" cat, which ended up being perfect as I always wanted a calico or tortie,  and we had already fallen in love with the name so we kept it :)

kirochka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our family was living in Belgrade, in then-Yugoslavia, in 1974 when I was 12 and someone left a tabby kitten in our driveway. My father was a journalist posted there, and my mother was studying Serbian at the US Embassy, and called the kitten "Mačka," which is Serbian for... "cat." She ended up with lots of names, of course, as all cats seem to do. She was The Face, Čeva (long story...), Fang (my father is a dog person), probably a lot of others that I'm now not remembering. We had her with us for 16 years, and I still miss her.

When I met my two kittens in December, I met the boy first, and was calling him "Buddy" because that's my default animal name. It turned out that that was actually his name. The girl's was "Gumbo." In the week between when I met them and when I brought them home, I pondered names - I'm obsessed with the musical Hamilton, so I was vaguely wondering about names from that. I put out a request for suggestions on Facebook, and in the meantime realized I wanted the girl to be Katniss, after, of course, the Hunger Games character. A friend suggested "Derrick or Joakim," after my two favorite basketball players (Rose and Noah). Joakim! I knew it was perfect the minute I read her comment. So Katniss and Joakim it is.

So far they're also the Wee Mongrels (from the "wee motherless mongrel" line in Love, Actually), the Marauders, Little Boy and Little Girl, and Katniss gets called "Miss Thing" a bunch. I've only had them a couple of months, though, so there's still time for more. They'll probably never know their names, because I've never been able to call cats by just their actual names...

yogakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we rescued Simon, his name was Beau at the rescue. We didn't like that at all. He doesn't look or act like a "Beau."

He's a bit of a smart ass, but also the cutest little monster we could imagine. So...it was between Simon (we pictured a nerdy guy with glasses...no offense to any human Simons! lol), Pumpkin...which we thought was just too cutesie for him, and Moose...which I still really like..:D

But...Simon it was........IS...!

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
@yogakitty  Moose could be Simon's nickname.  All my cats over the years have had multiple nicknames alongside their formal name.  Dudley, for example, gets called, Puffin (cos he's a fluffy muffin) and Scampi Fries (cos he's a wee scamp pouncing at my feet from behind).  Neither of these two nicknames were my idea really, they're just the way it is.  

goldleaf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Our black cat Shadow got his name because he stuck to my husband like a shadow from the moment we entered his enclosure at the shelter[emoji]9786[/emoji]

As for Simba... just look at that majestic gaze [emoji]128514[/emoji] But seriously, he gets into trouble just like Simba did[emoji]128578[/emoji]

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine were from a tabletop RPG (think of something similar to Dungeons & Dragons).  In a way.  Not really.

The first cat made herself at home and at first had no name because we didn't know if we were going to keep her or not.  After a month I think we made the decision to keep her and she had shown an amazing ability to vanish.  You would look at her, look away just for a few seconds, look back and she was gone.  Her initial nickname was Ninja Kitty and from that we got Shadow.

Well a friend pointed out that Shadow was also a name of a character in the RPG we all played.  So the next two were named after characters in that same RPG.  In a way.  Not really.  Midway definitely was, but the inspiration for the character name for Montressor was directly from Edger Allan Poe's story, so indirectly Montressor is a misspelling of the name of the character in The Cask of Amontillado.  (What the heck did Fortunato do?  Sleep with Montresor's mistress or daughter?  I've always wondered.)

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of our cats have retained the names they came from the shelter with.  Not to say we haven't had nicknames for them
   Since I volunteer at the shelter now, and get to know the cats by their shelter names, I always feel a little sad when the adopter changes the name.  Especially when I really liked the name they had.

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I went to pick up my kitten two weeks ago I would never have expected to have adopted a new furkid with such an amazing little personality. He is so sweet to cuddle with and so much fun every day!

The name Kaleb came to me in an inspirational way on a walk the day I was deciding on names. I had a million girl cat names but not really any boys, and it came out of the blue. At the shelter his card said "Sal" after the artist Salvatore Dali. He has a mustache which is the reason behind that name. I decided on keeping it as a middle/nickname because it is one of my fiance's favorite artists, plus it has character. I do only call him by Kaleb, but Kaleb Salvatore it is.

engine4154

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bugs was the smallest of her litter and the people I got her from had already named her so I let her keep that name.

Clyde, who adopted me, was named after the Orangutan from the Clint Eastwood movie 'Every Which way But Loose' that I watched around the time he showed up. "Right turn, Clyde."

Bonnie got her name because she moved in with Clyde. lol 

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I adopted this sweet boy from the shelter where they'd named him Stan. I didn't like that name at all and had been tossing around the name Gizmo ever since rewatching the movie Gremlins. The final decision to name him Gizmo came when the lady at the shelter told me I couldn't get him wet for 10 days as he'd just been neutered. Well, as you know, one of the rules of having a mogwai is to not get them wet or else they'll turn into a gremlin! Hence, Gizmo was the perfect name.

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boy has a funny name story. He is a boy named Maddie. When we got him we were told he was a girl, after he matured we realized he was a boy, but we were too stubborn to change the name!

My younger sister named him Maddie after Madeline Fitzpatrick from the suite life of Zach and Cody.

Girls name or not he's still my handsome man!

miez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Miez is called Miez because of South Park lol

In german Eric Cartman calls his cat Miez. It was the first thang comin to my mind and i thought it sounds very cute and funny lol

Gesendet von meinem SM-G903F mit Tapatalk

hypatia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat's named Hypatia, or Hypy for short. I picked out a list of names before I went to the shelter and I'm kind of a nerd and the names I picked reflected that. Hypatia of Alexandria was a Greek mathematician, astronomer, philosopher and teacher, who lived in the last 4th century and the early 5th century. She's one of my idols. The other name I chose was Schrody, if it was a boy, after Schrodinger's Cat, of course.

The shelter told us Hypy was a girl so he got named Hypy and after almost 2 months I found out he was he when I checked and the name stuck.

But he might not respond to Hypy. He does respond to 'Hypulu', 'Hypudu', 'Hypu-nanna', and 'Hypu-kanna'.

'Nanna', 'Kanna', are sort of terms of endearment in Telugu language, my mother tongue. I guess, the closest it comes in English is calling someone 'Sonny boy'? Basically he is the baby of the family and the way we call him reflects that.

ETA: I also call him 'Nannalu' and 'Kannalu'. I guess it's kinda like calling him baby boy. My mom sometimes calls him 'Kampudu', which basically means 'smelly' but in a very affectionate way. This is because he was gassy when he first came to us. My father sometimes calls him 'Bandavadu', which means big boy (?) because he is a big cat.

Last edited:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Kitty was originally called Nayla at the shelter, which reminded me of Nala from the lion king. So, she became Nala. We tried calling her that for a few weeks, but everyone, including me, naturally started calling her Kitty. Shes been Kitty ever since. lol Sometimes i think cats choose their own name, and we need to figure out what it is. Poor Kitty has had 3 names, not counting nicknames that i still use. Her name matches her very well, shes a very spoiled Kitty even though shes all grown up. Shes still my baby. She still knows how to make me do what she wants by just using a cute meow.

My mom adopted this outdoor cat, she wanted me to name her. So, i choose Elsa, since frozen was popular at the time. Her white fur reminded me of snow, and her darker spots made me think of Elsas dark side. The part of her that holds all her fear, and resentment. Which oddly enough matches Elsa really well. Shes such a sweet cat, and really coming around. But she used to only be friendly to my mom, and terrified of everyone else. She used to be bullied by other street cats, she was so thin, i had never seen such a thin cat. It took a year for her to stop running at random noises, and to let me voluntarily pet her. Which is a good thing, considering she only has me now as her mom. 

claireandrags

Professional Cat lady
Kitten
Purraise
I always get asked why I called my cat Rags! It's such a perfect name for her but has a story seeped in teenage musical obsession!

We got two kittens, one ginger and one little tortie and named them Acey (the ginger) and Rags (the tortie/Persian). My sister and I came up with the names and our parents loved them, little did they know they were the names of two members of a band we were OBSESSED with at the time; Acey Slade and Roger 'Rags' Segal from a band called Trashlight Vision

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our little red long haired boy looks like a lion with his yellow round eyes and big ruff, he was a twin, his brother was indistinguishable from him. They were neighbor cats who often came to visit when they were young. We named them Tom and Jerry. Sadly distemper ran through the neighborhood, they both contracted it and Jerry died. We did end up saving Tommy who became 'Yammy' because of his dark orange almost red coloring.He also became our cat and got neutered and vaccinated. His name also is tied to the strangest meow we have ever heard from a cat, he sounds just like a yamaha motorcycle revving up! NYET,NYET,NYET, NYET!!!(with much emphasis on the end!)

Last edited: