Naming or renaming your cat - Ukrainian style?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im reusing a post I send I moment earlier:

If you are undecided name as yet, so perhaps some ukrainian as its very contemporary now.

So, for example, Amelia (after the little singer from the shelter). Or Olga, after Olga Semidyanova, martyr; combat medic and mother of 12...
or Sonja [american spelling probably Sonya], the little dog keeping company in the Azovstal katakombs. Or Katerine, soldier and singer, in the same Azovstal..
Or even Elena, after Elena Osipova, a senior citizen from Leningrad, whom bravely did protested against the invasion of Ukraine...

There are surely more ideas.

Ps. There are also good male names, after both martyrs and living worthy persons... I will return with some suggestions.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, some male names.
The name nearest to mind, Volodymir Zelenskij - Im not sure its appopriate... For us animal lovers its fine, our cats and doga are our beloved babies. But not everyone will feel so. Naming your human child; fine. :)

The bomb search dog, Patron; which both means a piece of ammo / bullet, and also patron as in saint.

Ron Vogelaar, a 55 year old Dutch volonteer (possibly combat medic, although on the pic I found he is having a big rifle with him) - killed in action.

Denys Prokopenko; the commander of Azovstal... I know the Azov regiment isnt everyone favorite liqeur, but commanding succesfully these soldiers and protecting civilians in these awful desperate conditions, more than two months, is admirable...

This is just a few exampels, there are lotsa of true admirable persons there.
Especielly as Ukrainians are very animal friendly... We see it in almost every clip. Including from Azovstal...

Thus there are also a number of pet and animal rescuers... Many of them fully worthy to be held as saints; if you are religiously minded.
Everyone may be inspired by them...