Name That Kitten...

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there, i'm wondering what my kitten is...mom is a black cat, I don't know who the father is. Is this a tabby and calico coloring? Also, this is a male kitten so I'm wondering if he is a male calico?? Also curious about thoughts on breed. He has a black sibling and a tabby colored sibling. Thanks!!

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is probably just a tabby and white, in a harlequine pattern. Tabby pattern probably classic tabby. How is the sibling tabby? what pattern?

The coloring and pattern layout is somewhat unusual, that is why you get the impression of creme coloring..

But yeah, he has quite unusual looks. Very nice!

Dear daddy was probably a tabby - with white... does momma has any white spots? As he has quite a much white, I would suspect he got the white spotting gene from both parents.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mama has the tiniest bit of white on her chest and belly, this is her napping beside me right now, and this is also the sibling that I think looks tabby... correct me if I'm wrong, of course! He also has an auntie in the house who is a completely solid black with no white at all...

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed, your kitten is brown classic tabby and white. The sibling is brown mackerel tabby and white. The father must have been some sort of tabby and white (since both tabby and white spotting are dominant). Very cute!

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Aww! What a cutie! I would describe him as a brown classic tabby and white Domestic Shorthair.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That black kitten does it has any white markings?

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you everybody! StefanZ yes, the black kitten has those same tiny white patches that mom does, he is completely her twin!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you everybody! StefanZ yes, the black kitten has those same tiny white patches that mom does, he is completely her twin!
OK, so here we do probably have two fathers. "blackies" father was some "non descriptive" male. So he got his black color and these small white patches from momma.

The other father, was a mackerel tabby with white.
Ok, you ask, but one kitten is mackerel, and the other seems to be a classic tabby?

This riddle isnt difficult. Both these tabby patterns are dominant, but mackerel dominates classic.
So this dear daddy was himself mackerel, but does also carry classic tabby in this pair of genes.

The childs got one each.

He is prob homozygot on white spot gene, and his child got too one each.

If the tabbies were both of the same pattern, it could be enough with one father.
But this is one of the few occasions where we can practically prove two different fathers.

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is so interesting, thank you for your insight!! I do think it's interesting how each one has their own distinctive look!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, so here we do probably have two fathers.
No, it is not at all necessary to have two fathers for this litter! The simplest explanation would have just one father... Remember that solid colored cats always have a tabby pattern too, but it is not expressed (except as a ghost pattern when they are growing up).

Here are two possibilities for the parents (could be more complicated too, but this is the simplest):

Father: brown mackerel tabby with white, carrying solid and classic.
Mother: solid black, with classic tabby pattern (hidden by her solid black color).

Father: brown classic tabby with white, carrying solid.
Mother: solid black, with mackerel pattern (hidden), carrying classic.

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, it is not at all necessary to have two fathers for this litter! The simplest explanation would have just one father... Remember that solid colored cats always have a tabby pattern too, but it is not expressed (except as a ghost pattern when they are growing up).

Here are two possibilities for the parents (could be more complicated too, but this is the simplest):

Father: brown mackerel tabby with white, carrying solid and classic.
Mother: solid black, with classic tabby pattern (hidden by her solid black color).

Father: brown classic tabby with white, carrying solid.
Mother: solid black, with mackerel pattern (hidden), carrying classic.
I feel like I'm learning so much about cat genetics!!