Name that breed!

kungpaokitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted some thoughts on what breed you think my kitten is. I am leaning towards a Balinese because of his seemingly long hair and color.
View media item 354489

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kungpaokitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am guessing Rufus is a Balinese but I am not quite sure. His eyes are enchanting blue, his snout is longer than the other cats, and he is hyper active and vocal. He also looks like he will have medium length if not long hair. We adopted him from the animal shelter. His mom was feral so they couldn't catch her. His other siblings seemed to have shorter hair but the same markings and color. He's very well socialized, sweet from the moment we got him, and not at all showing signs of being raised with a feral mother. Super cuddly too!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah, the pic to do is either look alike of a balinese or a ragdoll.  It weights toward balinese.

As the other kittens are points too, it means at least one of the parents is not just a carrier, but must have been a point.  Perhaps even both.d

As the littermates are shorthaired - both parets were carriers of the longhair gene, but none of them is longhair nor mediumhair.

(the both genes - point and longhair - behaves similiarly - both are recessive as they say)

Do you know the looks of the mom?

kungpaokitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't know the mother. All I have of the one sibling is this photo from when we adopted Rufus. Now that I am looking back at the photos, the siblings seem as though they have long hair as well. Perhaps because the two siblings were much smaller than Rufus, I couldn't tell. When we had gotten him, he was said to be about 6-7weeks. 

The top photo with the ladies holding the same color kitten is the other male siblings. The bottom photo with the bearded stud is my bf Matt holding Rufus.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Because he doesn't have papers or anything like that he is technically a moggie (mixed breed cat). Pointed coloration is common amount mixed cats and it just takes both parents to have the gene, even if neither of the parents are pointed themselves. His fur may shorten as he gets older and he might be a short haired cat, it's hard to tell when they're babies because of the kitten fuzz. A way to tell if he will be long haired is if he has tufts of hair poking through the bottom of his toes. As for look alike, yes he does favor a modern style Balinese right now, as he gets older he may favor a totally different head shape and be short haired. (Also if you didn't already know, a Balinese is a long haired Siamese, they're literally the same cat just the Balinese was bred from a long haired mutation found in Siamese cats[emoji]128522[/emoji]) he's really a handsome little thing, keep us updated!

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also he's seal point in coloration, here's a picture of my Balinese girl. (She was sold to me as a Himalayan with false papers and it wasn't until DNA testing that I found out she was Balinese) She's about 5 weeks old in the first picture and 5 months in the second, just to show you how much they change.
View media item 354735

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is totally precious. He might be a mix of  Siamese. He looks like a seal point. You will have to post more pics as he grows, so someone might know exactly what he is. As for now enjoy him he is gorgeous.

kungpaokitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is totally precious. He might be a mix of  Siamese. He looks like a seal point. You will have to post more pics as he grows, so someone might know exactly what he is. As for now enjoy him he is gorgeous.
Awwwww thanks! He certainly is vocal and hyper like a Siamese! When we first got him he was so lethargic and sickly he slept all the time. Now he is climbing all the way to the top of the cat tree and bouncing off the walls. It's entertaining watching him learn and evolve into this perky personality.

mattkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does he go limp when you pick him up? I think that's what Ragdolls do.

kungpaokitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He
Does he go limp when you pick him up? I think that's what Ragdolls do.
He kind of does! We are kit sure. He has qualities of both Balinese and rag doll. His mouth- how it is in a constant frown is what pushes us to believe he may have rag doll in him though.

kungpaokitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also he's seal point in coloration, here's a picture of my Balinese girl. (She was sold to me as a Himalayan with false papers and it wasn't until DNA testing that I found out she was Balinese) She's about 5 weeks old in the first picture and 5 months in the second, just to show you how much they change.
View media item 354735

Soooooo adorable!!!!

kungpaokitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thought you guys may enjoy this! RUFUS @6 months! He is most definitely a ragdoll. He is the sweetest, most cuddly, loudest meowing, playful little cat canine I have ever met! We absolutely love him!