Name my kitten!

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

All they gave me to give him was lysine (an amino-acid) to supposedly help fight against or recover from a URI (I can't remember which).

I didn't think it would be enough and now he's on an antibiotic.
You could probably keep giving him lysine too, for a while, build up his little immune system.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, sorry - I should have said that. He is still on the lysine. He will be on it until I use up the little bag of it the humane society gave me.

Should Ally be on it too? I've been reading online that the herpes virus that most commonly causes URIs is in almost every cat and that L-Lysine helps the immune system suppress it. There are even sites that recommend life-long lysine supplementation.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh yeah, sorry - I should have said that. He is still on the lysine. He will be on it until I use up the little bag of it the humane society gave me.

Should Ally be on it too? I've been reading online that the herpes virus that most commonly causes URIs is in almost every cat and that L-Lysine helps the immune system suppress it. There are even sites that recommend life-long lysine supplementation.
I give Cammy lysine since the outside kitties are sick. It wouldn't hurt to have Ally on it, especially since Ollie is sick.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Any idea where I can buy more of it? Is it vet only, or do they sell it at Petsmart, Petco, or Pet Supermarket?

It's not a controlled substance, but then again neither is Feliway and that seems to be vet only.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Any idea where I can buy more of it? Is it vet only, or do they sell it at Petsmart, Petco, or Pet Supermarket?

It's not a controlled substance, but then again neither is Feliway and that seems to be vet only.
Petco might have lysine treats, if not you could order some online. You can also get pills from Walmart, Target, Walgreens, any pharmacy place. (They're for humans too, BTW, if you ever get a canker sore, they're supposed to help) But they come in 500 or 1000 miligrams. Kittens only need about 250 milligrams. When I give them to my cats I crush them up with a rolling pin and mix it in soft food. I hear they come in capsule form too, which would be easier but I couldn't find any. Too much lysine give them diarrhea I think.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

actually, Petsmart sells Feliway, as does Amazon.
i buy lysine capsules @ Drug Emporium.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've spending lots of time trying to coax him to eat. I found today that he seems to prefer eating wet food off of my finger than out of the bowl. So I guess I'll just sit with him and feed him until he feels comfortable to eat out of a bowl or off of a plate.
That's awesome that you have so much patience with 'Ollie'! So sweet!

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
actually, Petsmart sells Feliway
Really?! I must get some there then. I looked but must have missed it while there.

I will explore the above mentioned options for my little girl.