Just wondering how often one should trim the Kittens nails?  What

is the best way to get them used to being handled so one can

trim without being clawed to bits.  

Kind Regards.

lucentstreak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I check and trim once weekly. I usually just trim the sharp ends and not too much. The second questions is a tricky one. I never trim all at a go and usually when the kitty is drowsy in my lap and/ or suckling - do get him used to you massaging his paw pads first.

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It depends on how much you cut off at a time.   Obviously, if you trim more off then you can wait longer between clippings.   Having said that, I agree with @lucentstreak  that if you are new or uncomfortable with trimming nails then just clip the very tips and increase the frequency accordingly.   

I am not sure there is a way of getting cats used to it.   Massaging their pads frequently may get them used to the idea.   In my experience, it just seems to be a personality trait - some cats don`t mind and others will raise hell.   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nayeli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks heaps for your kind assistance.  I really appreciate it heaps.

:)

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just for the sake of saying it for others who may be reading....  NEVER cut the cats nails back too far into the part which carries blood.   Its kinda hard to explain where that is.   If you are not sure look it up and err on the side of caution.

nayeli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand what your talking about.  Thanks heaps

hoshimi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
... do get him used to you massaging his paw pads first.
Completely agree, it is important, play with their paws and expose their claws when they are relaxed and happy, get them used to being handled like that before you try trimming. I had one who didn't like that too much, and she had to get used to it slowly, so I used to feed her treats while touching her paws, she settled in to not minding after a while, though to begin with i usually only ended up only clipping a nail or two... if your cat resists in any way, its best to stop, and then just try again later or the next day.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The frequency really depends on the cat. My first two cats are sisters, and when they were kittens I had to trim Shareena's claws every 5 days and Miss Patchwillow's about every 10 days. They've slowed down as they've gotten older, but Shareena's claws still grow faster. I also trim claws at the shelter where I volunteer, usually about every two weeks. Some cats don't actually need it that often, and some could use it every week.

nayeli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your kind replies.   I appreciate them.

:)