Nail clipping catastrophe.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a major issue with their stubborn attitudes with this is their comfort in their home. When Maia was at the vets, she didn't move, flinch, tense up, nothing when he did it! She was out of her safety zone and completely distracted so didn't care that her nails were being trimmed........Some people use a harness, some kitties go comatose body when they have a harness on. In the spring/summer I put Maia's harness and leash on and take her out back on our roof top sitting area and trim her nails. Such an angel then!!!!!

auchick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mother's cat doesn't like her nails trimmed either. She's almost 2 and I think we've maybe clipped them twice her whole life. She has never liked having a manicure and pedicure. She doesn't like anybody to mess with her period. She's really a force to be reckoned with. The times that we have trimmed her nails was because she really really needed it done. Like, she was getting herself stuck to things they were so long. We have to wrap her up in a blanket and leave just the one paw exposed because otherwise she would claw and bite our eyes out. I know that must be even scarier for her but she won't cooperate otherwise.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to wrap Jake in a towel to clip his nails. It worked well. But honestly, I think it's a bad idea to try to do it when there are 2 non resident cats visiting. Even if they do appear to get along, it's a high stress time. Stress is not always bad stress. Just think of a kid who has 2 playmates over and then trying to get her to sit still while you comb her long, tangled hair or while you clip her nails. They are all excited for having company over and in a bit of hyper mode. Not a good time to try something like that! (IMO)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, the only reason I'd thought it would be okay with the two "visitor" cats there was because a couple of weeks before, they had stayed at our house with us for three whole weeks while their owner was back home in Hawaii. Stratus got along very well with these two, then, and still does, for the most part, though he may think twice about Lily, the one who slapped him up. =3

Good news, though. He let me clip all his nails for a bath today, with only two incidences of pulling away, but no biting or yelling. The bath, however, was a COMPLETELY, more painful, story, as you will see if you should read my "Bath Catastophe" thread in the Grooming section. =/