Mystery Shoppers?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

It sounds a touch fishy ... due to saying they pay you first and then they have a payment deduction system if something is missing...
I have mystery shopped for many companies .... I usually wait an ave of a month to six weeks to be paid or reibursed depending on type of shop....
Originally Posted by jean-ji

You certainly won't get rich, but it's a nice way to add extra income. Be smart and careful about the companies you do business with. I'm sure there are scams, but there are legitimate ones also.
~Rhonda
We've done it before. DH used to get all his oil changes for free by being a mystery shopper. Except the people figured it out pretty quick, so he wasn't a "mystery".

Interesting to hear about the scams. It would definitely raise a red flag for me if they wanted to pay you first. Who does that?! We always got paid after, usually a month afterwards.

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What do they usually pay the mystery shoppers?

Are you given several assignments by the company you work for?

Is it steady work?

How long does it take to complete an assignment?

Do you need to belong to several companies as a mystery shopper to make any kind of money at it?

I'm asking because when I was checking out the want ads in my local paper I saw an add looking for mystery shoppers but was very sceptical about it.

I did some research on the internate about mystery shopping and was put off by what I read because it always said to be VERY careful about who you worked for. I mean, how is one to know what is legit or not?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What do they usually pay the mystery shoppers?
Pay varies...I did a fast food chain that was local to where I lived ... they paid you $5 to cover your meal.... Others pay 18-30$ and dont cover a purchase ... yet other s are $5 -10 for an item and 5-20 for your time... some are strait reimburse
Are you given several assignments by the company you work for?
You choose or try to get the assignments

Is it steady work?
Where I live it is "pocket money"... I live near one city that is mid size and my town is "podunk" so I ave only one to five shops a month... This is due to me not wanting to go over an hour from home

How long does it take to complete an assignment?
10 minutes ( drive thru) to several hours ( my dept store multiple purchases )

Do you need to belong to several companies as a mystery shopper to make any kind of money at it?
If you live in a big city ( ie Phoenix Seattle ) yes full time income is possible

I'm asking because when I was checking out the want ads in my local paper I saw an add looking for mystery shoppers but was very sceptical about it.

I did some research on the internate about mystery shopping and was put off by what I read because it always said to be VERY careful about who you worked for. I mean, how is one to know what is legit or not?
If it sounds to good to be true RUN ... If they want you to pay them RUN ...

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow.

That news report link named Corp-evaluation specifically in a scam.

I checked their web page out of curiousity.
I am amazed they are still up and running.
It is also looks soooo legit.

OP - I hope you did nothave to supply your SSN.
In the last year, the shopper sites have been requiring it due to (US) tax regs. That is what made me not sign up with new companies.

OP - I hope you return to this thread and read about this scam before it is too late.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! I hope you're not going to get scammed!!!

I've been very curious about mystery shopping too. I used to work at Godiva Chocolatier when in college and all of us could spot the mystery shopper (mainly because our boss posted the evaluations so we knew what the mystery shopper was suppose to ask us
)

Anyway, it does sound like fun and definitely get in contact with a legit company to do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CDubbie

Wow.

That news report link named Corp-evaluation specifically in a scam.

I checked their web page out of curiousity.
I am amazed they are still up and running.
It is also looks soooo legit.

OP - I hope you did nothave to supply your SSN.
In the last year, the shopper sites have been requiring it due to (US) tax regs. That is what made me not sign up with new companies.

OP - I hope you return to this thread and read about this scam before it is too late.

thanks for the concern!!!

no i havent given any personal information. I still have all the paperwork sitting here with me, including the check. i havent done anything cause i emailed a watchdog group for mystery shoppers, and am awaiting their response. i am sooooo NOT going to do this one,lol. i will find a REAL one, and work for them,lol.