Mysterious illness

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Main note for everyone before they read this and give out ideas these cats have been to a vet who is dumbfounded by what happened and couldn't help save them.

These past few months have two sudden cat deaths which fast acting unknown illnesses and this morning I have been fighting to save my third cat.

Crowley was first to have this. He was a three year old pure breed apple head Himalayan. He was healthy, running around and playing one minute and the next day lethargic and unwilling to eat. We tried to syringe feed but within four days he had lost almost all his bodyweight and passed away. We couldn't afford a necropsy and the vet wasn't sure what had happened.

Second was Dakota. She was a seven week old domestic shorthair. She was fine and happy until she suddenly started acting the same as Crowley. Soon with the exact same symptoms she passed away as well. Again the vet was baffled.

This morning I wake up to Simon, a one year old domestic shorthair who has begun the same symptoms. We took him to the emergency vet who has no idea what's going on. As of right now he was giving a breathing treatment, pain meds and antibiotics. We were able to get some fortified kitten milk into him but his jaw is locked into place. His breathing is bad with a raspy sound and we're not sure he'll make it through the night.

If anyone has come across something that could be similar to this and could give any suggestions for us we would be so grateful. We still have two more cats and I don't want this taking them out as well.

Notes are:
We use mean green cleaner on our stove and bars.
We use SaniDate as spot cleaner.
We use Radiance wet mop cloths on the floors twice a week.
The cats are not allowed in the closed laundry room.
We do not use any bug sprays but the neighbors have been using it on their yard but all the cats are inside only.

Edit: My husband wants me to add that since it's gotten cooler out we've had the windows open. He believes that maybe the neighbors sprayed something at the cats as they dislike our black and white cat who's pretty vocal and it makes their dog bark a lot.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What kind of food are they on? Flea treatment? Covid? So sorry for your loss.
We had Covid in January of this year but thankfully no one else has tested positive since then. They use Capstar which we get from their vet. They also eat a mix of temptations cat food with the treats in it and Meow mix.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry that this has happened to you. The vet did not even venture a guess as to what happened? The ER vet did not either?This is an unpleasant discussion to have and you may not feel like answering or reading now. This all happened over a few months and in less than one year, from what I understand? Is there any minute difference in symptoms or presentation which would indicate that one cat might have suffered from a different illness or event than the other two? They were not related?

The odds of losing three cats to the same medical condition within such a short period of time would seem to be almost impossible. When I say medical condition, I mean that they all had something like a heart condition. It also seems unlikely that they all got into the same thing in your house if all cleaning supplies are locked up and the cats are kept away from them.

If the neighbors sprayed anything, at what range would they be able to access your cats?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry this is going on with your cats and you. I won't venture to guess what might be going on/have gone on, since the vets don't seem to know either.

But, if you are up to it, please ask the vet if there is any way they would offer you a payment plan so you can afford a necropsy. I'd also consider asking them if it is possible to get a specialty group or vet university involved since the vets you have dealt with have no ideas. Given three cats have been impacted, I would hope they would work with you to try to get to the bottom of this. You can also start a GoFundMe account to help raise money for it as well.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry this is going on with your cats and you. I won't venture to guess what might be going on/have gone on, since the vets don't seem to know either.

But, if you are up to it, please ask the vet if there is any way they would offer you a payment plan so you can afford a necropsy. I'd also consider asking them if it is possible to get a specialty group or vet university involved since the vets you have dealt with have no ideas. Given three cats have been impacted, I would hope they would work with you to try to get to the bottom of this. You can also start a GoFundMe account to help raise money for it as well.
I agree with getting the vet university involved. If this is some strange virus, they will want to know about it.
kamijo kamijo I am so sorry for your losses. This is heartbreaking.
Adding: Could you limit keeping your windows open to when you're around and install a camera near the windows closest to your neighbors? If you see them messing around by your house, you'll have a potential answer and IMO should be able to press criminal charges.

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: We lost him. He passed away and I'm just angry and sad. I don't understand what's happening.
So sorry to hear this. I would be suspicious of some type of poisoning, inhaled or ingested that was causing organ failure. With 3 cats passing away unexplained in a short span of time I would think that the vet would do a necropsy for free in order to learn what happened to further their understanding. Do you still have the food that you were feeding them, could there have been something tainted in the food?

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for not posting but it's just been so hard.

To answer some questions asked above:
This happened over 5 months.
The neighbors can come into our backyard as there's no fencing. We're going to put some up and are keeping the windows on that side closed from now on. We also have a catio which we've shut off access to so to make sure it wasn't the neighbors.
The symptoms have all be the same only with Simon the vet thinks he had some kind of lung infection but he was unsure what so we got medicine for pneumonia.
We allowed the vet to take Simon's body and they'll be sending it to a bigger town to do a necropsy but it's more of them being scared of some unknown issues.
We've had our last remaining cats checked which they did at a cut cost and so far they're showing no symptoms and are very healthy.

This is all I know for now. I'm just broken by all this and if anything comes from letting them keep his body I will post an update in the future.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are very kind to have taken time to let us know what is happening. While it is of no consolation, I am glad that a necropsy has been arranged for Simon.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Firstly I cannot in any way fathom how painful and hard losing all of them like this, in such a short period of time, is for you.

My heart goes out to you.

Do you know what the neighbours were spraying? Was there water / food in the catio that might have gotten contaminated by whatever they were spraying?

EDIT to add: Even toys that could have gotten contaminated on the Catio if the neighbours sprayed something?

Do you use any water additives?

Any construction around the area that had to do with water pipes?

I ask this in case it's of help to you with any of your other cats.

Again I am so sorry for you losses. Deeply and truly.

I hope they can provide you with some answers to bring you some peace. Again, I am so, so sorry for your losses.

XOXOXOXOX

-------------

Last edited:

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted to finally update everyone on what was found in Simon's necropsy.

They found paint chips and drywall leading them to believe it was toxicity from the amount that killed him and caused all the symptoms.

We spent days combing the yard and house moving all the furniture and checking all the walls until we finally came to under the bed in the guest room. Most of the wall had been stripped of paint and chucks of drywall removed with clear claw and teeth marks. We're not sure when it started or which cat started it. We've closed up the room and have called in for a contractor to repair it. So far no other cat has begun shows symptoms and we've put bells on their collars which we didn't have before to try and hear them as well as some inside cameras to watch them while at work.

Thank you all for reading and sharing in my grief. Please check all your walls because our babies were well fed and spoiled but they still ended up doing the unthinkable.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry for the losses of your cats.

I am glad that you found the reason for Simon's death and that you were able to find where the cats were ingesting the paint chips and drywall and are working to get the repaired.

I wonder if this was just an extreme case of pica or if the cats were trying to get to something inside the wall.

Again my condolences on your losses.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry to hear this story, kamijo kamijo . My condolences to you for the loss of your cats and all that you've been through. I can't even imagine how difficult this must be for you.

Thank you for posting about the vet's findings. I'm glad you've been able to close off that room so your cats are safe.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are more than kind to have updated the thread again and, once more, I am so sorry for the loss of your three cats.
I wonder if this was just an extreme case of pica or if the cats were trying to get to something inside the wall.
Or both. Pica and/or cats intent enough on digging into a wall are so isolated that I, personally, would never have jumped to either conclusion and neither did your vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for being so kind to update us given all you have been through.

Please make sure someone checks what is going on behind that wall - mice or other critters that could have prompted your cats' response to that area?

Again, so sorry for your sweet cats and you, but so grateful you thought of us to let us know. Let everyone else be safe and sound.