Mysterious balding eyes??

unrulyoracle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 10 years old. She is in good health and spirit all-around. A while ago she started losing a little of the hair around her eyes (mostly at the under-eye) in tiny patches. She is flea-treated and wormed and stuff so it isn't a parasitical reaction. The vet wasn't able to determine exactly what it was but prescribed a cream (i believe an antibiotic) that seemed to make a slight difference, but it didn't go away. She never scratches it or acts in any way like it bothers her... but today I noticed that she was 'winking' one of her eyes a lot and it was watering very slightly. So maybe it is sore and she's just been good at hiding it? I'm just wondering if anyone else had this with their cat

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does kind of sound like allergies or an allergic reaction, it could be from a cold. I would recommend L-Lysine which builds up the immune system. I give them to my cats when their eyes get runny, I got the treat kind on Amazon. In any case it wouldn't hurt! Was your 'cream' supposed to be put around the eyes, or IN the eyes? The reason I ask is that I was given some salve by the vet that was put IN the eyes to cure an eye infection. You just ran a bead along the inside of the lower eyelid. You might want to call your vet and ask. All the luck and I hope she gets over it soon!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

My cat is 10 years old. She is in good health and spirit all-around. A while ago she started losing a little of the hair around her eyes (mostly at the under-eye) in tiny patches. She is flea-treated and wormed and stuff so it isn't a parasitical reaction. The vet wasn't able to determine exactly what it was but prescribed a cream (i believe an antibiotic) that seemed to make a slight difference, but it didn't go away. She never scratches it or acts in any way like it bothers her... but today I noticed that she was 'winking' one of her eyes a lot and it was watering very slightly. So maybe it is sore and she's just been good at hiding it? I'm just wondering if anyone else had this with their cat
Welcome to TCS! 

I think you should call your vet and let them know about the new symptoms. It could be related to the balding or it could be something entirely separate that just happens to manifest in the eyes.