Myself and "the pets"

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to be honest, I'm not a super cat lover... But I do care for any animal as they deserve. My life has been hard, and continues to be so... And despite having very little, I still try to do whatever I need to do. I used to breed Betta fish (and once my water isn't horrible, and my life isn't a mess... We'll see), used to rescue a lot of different animals. This included skinny pigs, guinea pigs, reptiles, amphibians, cats, dogs, etc etc :) Short of a goat and a giraffe, I had a zoo.

Most recent rescues: The kitten in the picture was a wild-born. Her mama is a large manx, who is a complete feral. Got to spot her from a far distance or through a window before she would dart off. My brother accidentally scared the mama away when he came over, then decided to handle the kitten... Mama wouldn't return for her, so we ended up taking her in before the winter's night took her! Got her up to weight, had our cat become accustomed to her antics, and found her a loving home with a lady who had lost her cat earlier last year.

The larger cat is our house-cat, who definitely did not agree with any of the new arrivals :p She was 3 weeks old when we got her from a lady claiming she was 6 weeks. She offered to take her back due to complications we were having with her health, and we said no... She didn't care to keep her with her "purebred ragdoll mother" until she was weaned, I didn't feel she would care for the kitten if she got her back.

This one is an old one... He was named "Gurgi", taken away from an abusive home where the young boy would toss him around, kick him, hit him, torture him with squeaky toys... When I got him he had the anxiety habit of pacing back and forth, through the kitchen and back to the balcony doors, waiting for whoever had left. Was terrified of children, squeaky toys, your hands, your feet, loud sounds... Everything... Got him door-trained, leash trained, crate trained, and calmed him down quite a bit before he went to live with a young gentleman who to this day still loves the fluffy dog with all his heart. 

These may be familiar to some people in the US (I'm in Canada). When my friend had a reptile rescue, I helped out. We were brought two "geckos", which obviously, weren't geckos. Very still, refusing to eat... We had to find out what they were. Turns out they were the interesting "nevercatchems" aka Desert Iguanas. We did all we could to get them onto the proper diet (instead of the mealworm diet they were on), and when the rescue went to the city it went under because of physical and verbal threats directed towards him and the animals. That was 2011. Just last year I saw an ad up for "desert iguanas" and it turned out to be the same pair!! The guy got them from his friend, who found them in someone's garage, their tank stacked with other junk as if they were trash. The guy didn't want them, so gave them to her... she gave them to her friend, who then gave them to me. My friend has one, and I have the other. This is because two males in one enclosure is NOT a good idea, and the former "alpha" was so weak from Metabolic Bone Disorder that the smaller one was taking advantage of it. BOTH are doing great.

This sweet face was lucky to come across our house. Obviously abandoned for a couple years, she was so unsure of us. But she took refuge on a blanket someone left outside... Food overcomes fear, when she was offered something to eat. I was attacked when I tried to gently pick her up, so I left it at that for contact... ONLY touch the head! A few days passed and the weather got worse. I rigged a reptile heat lamp with a clamp on a chair, pointed towards her "sleeping spot". My brother was able to pick her up, and noticed her enlarged tummy... Worried that she could possibly be pregnant, and knowing fully we couldn't take her in with already having our cat, plus another abandoned cat indoors.... I contacted a cat sanctuary. Everywhere here is so full for cats, that most places will turn you down or tell you to euthanise/release. (The SPCA refuses to take cats, local bylaw only deals with dogs...). The sanctuary willingly took her, despite having over 300 cats to care for between two people. The vet checkup was first before she was brought to the sanctuary and what they found out, was a lot worse than "more kittens". She had a handful of tumors in her uterus, and went under immediate surgery to have her uterus removed. Thankfully, it wasn't cancerous and was contained to the uterus.

This cute face belongs to an abandoned cat. We did not recognize him from the colony cats (last year their number reached over 25, this year there were less than 10), and no one came forth to claim him. He still lives with us, much to the disgust of our cat! He's a true cuddlebug... Reminds me of a scottish fold, but with straight ears. Currently he has some behavioral issues due to a mean little girl, who needs to learn the value of life. He had some frostbite on his ears after being on our porch for 10 or so hours.... As seen in the picture. But that has since then healed, and he is on the list to be neutered!!

Another oldie! This is "Scottie". Blind german shepherd pup who we got at 3.5 months old. Before he was 5 months, he died. I had noticed he wasn't really blind, but had an issue focusing on anything distant. His head shook to counteract his eyes shaking. He could play the "touch palm" game, which backed up my belief that there was something wrong with him other than just his eyes. The breeder was debating on euthanising him or giving him away... honestly if she bred properly, ALL the pups would have had a REAL vet checkup, and she would have found out about the tumor on his brain. THAT killed him. Killed him before he could be rushed to the vet. Two seizures, one call, too late. (A bit of a rant because it left me devastated to lose such a smart and loving companion... I don't really feel I'll ever find a "Scottie" again). I'm not against breeders.... But I am sure against bad breeders. 

rustypocket

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You sure seems like a cat lover, no matter what you say. I believe taking in a street animal is the most wonderful thing a care-provider can give. I personally am currently taking care of a semi-feral, so I understand you. Hope all of you do great. The queen that has tumors looks like a cat-food commercial star :).

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks :) Well hopefully she gets to be someone's star ;) It explained why she was grumpy... She was probably in lots of pain! 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You've got some lovely pets Sena, thank you for all that you're doing for them.

I read your other threads, just wanted to say I hope you get your home back to yourself soon and the pets recover from their ordeal.

Nice to have you on The Cat Site.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
What wonderful photographs and introductions to your fur family past and present.  Each and every one sounds very special and I believe they have been lucky to find you and your home.  I love the photographs of your tabby girl, especially the one of her stretching up and looking out of the window, she looks very beautiful there.

I am sad that you did not have much time with Scottie who looks very cute: one of my cats went blind due to brain tumours though she was 18 and had a good life before she lost her sight and was lucky never to have seizures.  

Like Norachan I have read your other thread and hope that your home will be back to being yours very soon and returns to being peaceful and calm.  Also that your young white and ginger boy is not physically hurt as well as the emotional distress he must be experiencing at the moment, and that he heels soon.

Welcome to TCS.  I look forward to hearing more about your feline and reptile family members, and as many photographs as you care to share with us.  
    I don't know if you have found the Cats and Other Animals  forum in the Lounge?  There are many others there who love their reptile and canine family members as well as their cats, and love to show off photographs and share ideas and questions there about their experiences.

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish you all the luck! You will surely be blessed for your compassionate heart, these beautiful creatures were so lucky to have found you!

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well when I can get pictures up... our escapee cat (found a hole in our bathroom floor...) had her kittens. 6 of them!

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness!!! The first cat looks just like my cat, Kitty! I am so stunned. I have seen similar calico cats, but I feel like i am looking at Kitty when I look at that first picture. The main difference i see is the color on the legs. Kitty also hates new arrivals. XD Whenever a new pet comes, she will hiss at them. But shes sweet hearted, she eventually ends up loving whatever animals come here. She just thinks shes the boss of the house.

Beautiful animals, all of them. =)

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cute! I think the "boss of the house " attitude has to be a calico thing... most calico I know are like that!! ;)

So, our cat is excellent at finding holes in our floor. As seen here, the results of her escape! First there were three that she was nursing... by the morning there were six! One calico, one black with calico eyebrows (heh heh), black and white one, black one, white one, and an orange one.

Despite me being upset about the fact she got out (and ended up pregnant!!) They are pretty darn cute. The orange one is determined to explore without his/her senses....

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Despite me being upset about the fact she got out (and ended up pregnant!!) They are pretty darn cute. The orange one is determined to explore without his/her senses....
I didnt know that about calico cats. lol

By the way, thats a beautiful picture.
Kitty is spayed, and I've never seen a litter of kittens, as all the cats ive had were spayed. So thanks for posting the image, made me smile
. All their different colors looks so adorable.

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha she was supposed to be spayed!! I don't like the idea of an unfixed cat... But a good portion of that comes from the abandoned tabby, who (guessing on a whim) was probably abandoned for her 'tude... which came from tumors in her uterus. Can't get ovarian or uterus cancer/tumors if the equipment isn't there! (And her agony... :( ) but the kittens are too cute for me to be upset about her escape ;)

Oh, another thing that escaped me... Myself and a friend are starting an online store (shipping in Canada only, for now). It's for upcycled, recycled and safe pet-friendly supplies :) this includes our pretty felines! It's exciting to know that in July we'll get to encourage and educate others with their furries (or scaleys, finned, furless and feathered lol).

Last edited:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha she was supposed to be spayed!! I don't like the idea of an unfixed cat... But a good portion of that comes from the abandoned tabby, who (guessing on a whim) was probably abandoned for her 'tude... which came from tumors in her uterus. Can't get ovarian or uterus cancer/tumors if the equipment isn't there! (And her agony...
) but the kittens are too cute for me to be upset about her escape

Oh, another thing that escaped me... Myself and a friend are starting an online store (shipping in Canada only, for now). It's for upcycled, recycled and safe pet-friendly supplies
this includes our pretty felines! It's exciting to know that in July we'll get to encourage and educate others with their furries (or scaleys, finned, furless and feathered lol).
How sad, i dont know how people just abandon their pets. I hope her health is better now? I cant handle animals being sick, its so different with a human because you can explain whats wrong, and that you can soothe them by letting them know they are with doctors to get help. animals are just terrified and in pain, and dont understand why. =(

Thats awesome what you guys are doing in your store, too bad i live in florida. I dont know what the forum rules are, perhaps the site can be posted here later? if its ok with the moderators.

I've been really getting into recycling everything lately. lol

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is definitely better. The Sanctuary is taking such good care of her! I've had many sick animals end up in my care... and I agree. Humans can tell you... animals can't. Especially prey (guinea pigs) who would rather hide it until it is too late.

We may move into shipping to Canada and the U.S. ;)

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

More pictures.
Aww, so beautiful.

I showed a picture of your cat to family members, and they actually really thought it was Kitty until they noticed the differences.

I love how they all blend into the color of her fur.

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hahaha! Honestly, I've done the same thing with a post in a FB group about a "found cat". Panicked until I saw the face, and checked on my cat.

I think them blending in probably caused us to miscount at first lol. 

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She definitely is! And I hope this sweet behavior stays... before she was a "one owner only, I don't want to be on your lap, feed me, give me water, now go away!" When she suddenly became a cuddlemonster I figured something was up lol.

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Quick snap of two new members (I have been wanting guinea pigs again for a while!). Lots of changes need to be done for them, including diet and environment. One looks to be about 50 months and the other is probably about two years old. Pretty sure they are not both female... I will be finding out later today when I upgrade their quality of life!