My young cat stopped eating and drinking tonight, and is moving slow almost like he's in pain

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well surprising turn, we had him in his own room while we were preparing our bedroom to move him into and he kept meowing. The vet said above all else keep him low stress so even though our other cat is a concern because he's older and can get fiesty with Tyrion we let Tyrion out and supervised them. Prince was sniffing him and then hissing when Tyrion turned his head to look at him...he was following Tyrion around so we locked prince in the room downstairs. Then Tyrion went over to Prince's food bowl which still had some dry food in it and ate the rest of it!! So I dont think we will need to force feed him he is eating on his own!! I do have wet food to give him too so I'll probably try to give that to him so it's easier on his system but if he hates it he loves our dry food. We use Purina one advanced indoor which is what the shelter was feeding them.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet he is glad to be home! Good to hear he ate one his own!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
He looks tired poor baby. I am sure the next few days he will sleep plenty. Let him eat whatever he will eat. When you put down wet food-mix that KMR in the wet food and mash with a fork-make it like pudding-he will either lap it up or turn his nose up. Most cats are fussy about wet food. Some like it as it is in chunks out of the can, some cats want it mashed up and add water. some cats wont eat it at all. my elder girl Floey LOVES her slurry. She was sleeping on me this morning-this is her way of waking me up and saying mom feed me. She also gets kibble but we are trying to cut back on kibble. The goal is to get them on wet food only but its been three years now-we are at 50/50 wet/dry so I am happy with this progress.

I am glad they didn't rip you off for surgery. most places get at min $1000 for exploratory surgery. He looks really good by the way.

kittykin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah we've been feeding dry only for both cats mostly because to make the transition easier from the shelter we made sure to get the food they were used to. I give them meals twice a day instead of free feeding, mostly because Prince is a bit heavy and we are hoping to help him drop a little weight. I was also using meal time to train them to get along and reward them for good behavior. Because Tyrion was gone for a couple days it looks like we are back to square one on Prince getting along with Tyrion. Prince is skiddish and slow to warm up, but he's also a bit of a bully he likes to instigate Tyrion and try to intimidate him. So we are keeping them separate for now until Tyrion recovers and we will re-introduce them.
I do keep wet food on hand because I was told dry food is better for their teeth many times, but wet food is good in preventing them getting a UTI and hydrates them more. I plan on trying the wet food on them soon I hadn't yet because I wanted to make sure the dry food we give them wouldn't cause weird behavior. After last night though I think we can confirm we are giving them food that they like.
I'm super glad we paid half of what we had expected to pay. I still don't want to go back there because of the lack of customer service, the vagueness, and only recognizing what a couple things were on our bill. The bill honestly might as well be in a different language!
They also are positive he has FIP and for now we are assuming they're right, but they don't seem to actually know anything about FIP like if it's contagious, behavior signs it might be an active problem and so on. The vet tech told me it can spread through blood to blood contact. The vet told me it's not contagious at all... I asked if there's any way it can spread through shared catbox or food bowls because I had read that on the internet...they both danced around this question and the vet tech especially went on this whole speech, but it was a giant circle basically of how it's similar to human AIDS, but she did not answer the question at all.
We are super happy to have him home though and you're right he's been sleeping a ton [emoji]128515[/emoji]

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How's Tyrion doing today?  Is Prince being a bit nicer to him?  

kittykin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are supervising them for now. Prince still hisses at him sometimes but they sniff each other. They tend to sniff and then go their separate ways. They were grooming and napping together before Tyrion got sick so we hope they get back to that level soon!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nat was not welcomed back either when he went to the hospital.  Poor baby.  The others did not like the hospital smell on him.  It took a few days to get back to normal.  

kittykin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I was wondering that because Prince was obsessed with smelling him but would hiss at Tyrion like he didn't recognize him. I'm thinking they probably associate each other by smell rather than sight which I guess since they're color blind makes sense.
We both just need to give our kitties time. I forget how naturally territorial they are to begin with. I'm probably lucky Prince isn't peeing on everything in sight right now hahaha![emoji]128514[/emoji]

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL!  Oh, don't hold your breath on the peeing thing just yet.  I think it'll be ok though.  It's not like Prince does not recognize Tyrion at all.  It's just his smell is funny right now.