My vet may have attempted to spay my male cat. Very worried…

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My new kitten Sammy is apart of a litter of 6 I adopted along with all of his siblings. I took him and his siblings for a spay / neuter visit. I made certain to tell them that Sammy is a BOY. Somehow it still gets mixed up and their computer records show him as a girl. They did tell me they discovered he was a male when they returned him to me. Sammy has been wanting to lick / scratch the incision site much more frequently than his siblings. Of course they are all wearing E-Collers but Sammy is noticeably irritated and when I come home, I am finding pools of cat pee all over my kitchen floor. The incision site looked a bit… sketchy… I took him back today and when I got him to the vet they still have him as a girl. The Kennel he is in pooled with cat pee … I’m VERY worried they messed something up…

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to make an appointment with another vet, different clinic and have him checked out. Then you need to seriously consider changing to the new vet. The kennel people/ the techs who help get the cats ready for spay and neuter shave the female cat's stomach. They do NOT make the incision, that is for the vet to do. This was done by the vet. More if this was done by someone other than the vet you have even more reason to change vets.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The incision site itself looks ok, and some cats are just more irritated by it than others. Mistakes happen, but yes, they should have checked his gender more thoroughly. It can be something as simple as an incompetent nurse who prepped the wrong area, and the vet thought they were supposed to be performing a spey.

Did they take his testicles as well? If so, its quite common for male cats to get UTIs after neutering, which would explain the discomfort and constant peeing. I would take him to another vet and get him checked over just to be safe.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you see the green line tattoo? A lot of vets do that to show that the pet has been spayed/neutered. And of course they'd have to shave the tattoo area because you just can't tattoo on fur, lol. It doesn't look far up enough to be a spay shave. Do the other males also have a shaved area for their tattoo?

Anyway, everything looks great except the razor burn, which is probably what's bothering him. There's no indication of an incorrect incision or problems with the neuter. It's obvious that his testicles are gone and the incisions are in the right places. I suppose you could mention the razor burn to the vet so that the person who does the shaving can be warned to be more careful.

As for the pee it's possible that one (or more) of them is too scared to go in the litterbox with a cone on. But if it continues after the cones are off, try to figure out who it is and take them to the vet to check for a urinary infection.

It's normal for some cats to pee in their carrier when coming to, or just when traveling, I wouldn't worry about that.

Last edited: