My two little survivors - pics

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
linka tomorrow I would go searching for baby kitten bottles- ask your vet, they should carry them. Syringes will (if used incorrectly) harm a baby kitty if liquid is squirted down their throat wrong of to quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hissy,

we do have a kitten bottle for feeding but the vet said to wait a few days as their mouths are so little! They are tiny little babies, probably because Misty is so petite...?

I am being extra extra careful, because I know the syringes have that hard edge, and I'm getting into a technique, thankfully I'm a nurse (for humans) so my syringe technique is pretty good!!!LOL

Misty is doing fine this morning and babies are suckling well now, and happy to be with mummy! She's very attentive!!!

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Linka, congratulations to you and Misty on the birth of the little ones - I'm so sorry two didn't make it.

You'd be surprised about the bottle, I've had small one-day-old kittens take to the bottle and the teat doesn't give them any trouble at all. Just make sure the hole in the top of the teat is the right size. Hold the bottle upside-down. If you have to squeeze the bottle to get drops of formula to come out, the hole's too small. If formula drips fast or runs from the teat, the hole's too big. What you're aiming for is slow dripping from the hole. You might want to give the bottle a go and see how the kits take to it.

The pics are wonderful!

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
PS It's good to give Misty a little formula in a bowl if she likes it. This will give her a nutritional boost and also help with her milk production.

linka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Tania,

I'll give it a go today!

linka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tania,

Actually, she's been trying to lick from the little bowl, where we make up the formula and fill up the syringes! I'll try to give her some today!!

mowguai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congratulations, linka! Best wishes to Misty, Eenie and Meenie.

linka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am SO PROUD of Misty. After everything, she is being SUCH a good mum. At times, I could be sitting in the living room and I hear her call me, and I go and see that she's having trouble settling with the little ones to suckle, so I help her get positioned and then leave her to it. I love the fact she asks for help, it seems so human really, learning to be a mum. Last night one of the little ones was trying to scamble over the front edge of the box and rolled back, Misty looked up at me meowed, I picked him up put him back and then made the front higher. It was psychic communication, nothing less!!LOL

The update is that both the kittens are doing well (fingers crossed), they are suckling on their mummy and getting suplemented feeds from us every two hours, but they seem to be less eager for those, than they were yesterday evening. All through the night whenever I got up to feed them, they were getting harder and harder to feed.

I spoke to the vet who asked me if they were ever mewling while suckilng or searching and mewling for another nipple. They're not, they seem happy enough, most of the time ending up falling asleep at the nipple, or after a good bath from Misty. We're still going to keep the extra 2 hourly feeds for now, I don't want to stop and then regret it later. They take what they need and I don't mind getting up every 2 hours....yawn... LOL no really I actually enjoy those moments, feeding them, with Misty tentitively watching over them. They're so gorgeous.