My Two Cats Don't Get Along Inside But Do Outside

lumo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wondering if anyone has any advice about my situation with my two cats. Our first cat (Lucy - female, 4 years old, 4.1kg) we have had for 3 years and our second cat (Gizmo - male, 10 months, 5.2kg) we will have had for a year in October. They are both Ragdolls and have been desexed.
They have never really got along as such but have always tolerated each other. We used to come home after being out and they would be sitting next to each other on the couch/bed or they would each be on their own scratch post next to the other. Over the last two months Lucy has started getting really scared of Gizmo. If she comes into the lounge room when we're watching TV and Gizmo is already there, he will stare at her with his big eyes and she will quickly take off. Sometimes he even goes as far to chase her out of the room and jump on her which ends up with Lucy hissing at him and scrabbling for higher ground. Their fights never get out of control, always ending with a hiss from Lucy. Lucy never wants to be in the same room anymore and I feel bad for her because she always looks scared when he's near.
Now it is a completely different situation outside!! We take them out in our backyard only when me or my partner are home as they never try to jump the fence. If Gizmo tries to chase or jump on Lucy she stands her ground and will chase him back - sometimes even beginning a chasing match outside and it actually looks like they are playing. She has no issues if he walks or sits next to her and are happy to sniff each others faces.
How is it that she is so fearful of him inside but is confident and happy to be around him outside?
I have tried the Feliway diffuser and Rescue Remedy which has no affect on either cats. I will be taking Gizmo this weekend for his yearly vaccination and will ask the vet whether they have any advice but was just wondering if any one has been through this situation or knows what I can do? At the moment we are separating Lucy and Gizmo at night and occasionally when we go to work to give her a bit of a break.
Any advice appreciated - sorry for the novel!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since they otherwise get along fine I really don't think this is a big of a deal as you are making it (and as most cat owners make it). Offer the fraidy-cat places to escape to if she needs it. Otherwise he probably just has more of an aggressive play technique then she does and she runs away instead of engaging him or showing him that she is not interested or displeased. If they otherwise are fine together then they ARE FINE. I don't think she is running away out of fear, otherwise she would likely stay hidden and not come near him at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lumo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since they otherwise get along fine I really don't think this is a big of a deal as you are making it (and as most cat owners make it). Offer the fraidy-cat places to escape to if she needs it. Otherwise he probably just has more of an aggressive play technique then she does and she runs away instead of engaging him or showing him that she is not interested or displeased. If they otherwise are fine together then they ARE FINE. I don't think she is running away out of fear, otherwise she would likely stay hidden and not come near him at all.
I know - I'm a huge worry wart. He is definitely an aggressive player. I just feel awful for Lucy as she no longer comes to sit with us as Gizmo is always with us or he chases her out of the room. I wish she would just stand up for herself like she does when they're outside! If he jumps on her outside she is more than happy to tackle him to the ground and he immediately backs off.
I just don't get why she won't do that to him when they're inside..

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try giving her 1 on 1 time with Gizmo locked out for an hour every day? Also some play during that time to build up her confidence couldn't hurt.