My Turn to Ask for Prayers

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Robin..I just heard about this from Susan. I haven't felt the best the past couple of days, so I haven't been on much. Let me tell you, before I joined here, I found my Petals foaming at the mouth one day. OH my God, it really scares you. I had a heck of a time catching her because she kept running from me, but I finally got a hold of her and sure enough, all this mucus type stuff and foam were coming out of her mouth. Well, of course, we rushed off to the vet, and it was found that Petals had gotten into my brothers waste basket. (I found her in that room and later realized that the garbage can was knocked over) He was taking some kind of meds for himself and for what ever reason, threw one of his pills in there. Petals found it and ate it. We are SOOO lucky that she was ok. She did throw up for a day or two afterwards though.....

You know I join in all the prayers that whatever is wrong with your baby is something simple. We are all here for you and will get through this together!

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Darlin', I'm praying for you and your kitties right now. Now, please let me tell you something, even if one or more of them tests postitive for FeLV, its not the end of the world that it was, even just a few short years ago! My Tigs was diagnosed with it last July, and admittedly, I lost it. The last experience I had with the stuff was a nightmare, but that has been 10 or more years ago. My vet was very postitive about it, and being able to control the problems that it causes, as he put it, I just have to be more vigilant about watching to be sure he's not getting sick, "nip it in the bud" so to speak, and the dr. fights whatever he's sick with using stronger meds than for "normal" cats. And, no, a couple of my himmys hadn't been vaccinated against it either, but they don't have it either. {{HUGS}} to you today, and if the tests come back postive, let me know, I have some very interesting links on my home computer favoites that I'll send you.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Robin, I can't imagine how anxious you must be! Little Thomas and the rest of your crew and you, of course, will be close to my heart. Hoping for the best possible results.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, Robin, this must be one of the most difficult days you have ever experienced. You and Thomas have been on my heart since I read your post. I continue to pray for excellent results today. Please feel better, Thomas.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take some deeps breathes and don't think the worst. I've had so many scares from all the cats I've had over the years I would be bald and have no stomach left from the acid eating it up. We are all rooting for Thomas!! Sending lots of peaceful vibes............................

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thomas is in my thoughts - and I agree, try not to get too worried until you have a definate diagnosis. I know that is easier said than done.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Robin, this must be such a stressful time for you, being on pins and needles and trying to get some answers.
I pray that today will only be a false alarm as far as FeLV, and that it's something much more simple. I do know that ominous feeling so very well and I will be here for you every step of the way, you can count on me for that!
I just want to hug you and comfort you and your kitties right now.
We are sending our biggest and strongest prayers and vibes down to you.
Love,
Elizabeth

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no!!! Sending mega good vibes to Thomas.

ash_bct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Robin, I am just seeing this now

I am hoping and praying that Thomas will be fine.. Try to keep strong until the results come back, we are all here for you

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry that I just saw this... I hope that everything turns out okay and there's a simple, easy to handle explanation for all of this! Oh and you're right about gingivitis being common - my Baylee has it, even though I feed her Nutro and Petguard.

Please update us as soon as you find out! You and your furry family will be in my thoughts and prayers!

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just seeing this and I am adding my vibes and prayers to the rest of the groups'! You are going to give your self stomach ulcers like I have!! Trust me there no fun,,so do your best to think optimistically about little Thomas,,and as you well know, your cats pick up your feelings, so try to destress for the crew. You know what,, I bet it is something so simple and Thomas is just trying to keep you on your toes meowma! Good luck and please oh please keep us updated!!!

murphysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hang in there!!! Sometimes I think it is worse when the vet uses all of the "possiblilites"... why not just wait until the blood work results come back before making suggestions..... I had our poor kitten practically gone in my head after the vet's suggestions of FIP.... and after a week of constant care and meds... I have a healthy happy kitten.... You can always find support here.. I thank God I found this site before making the wrong decision to have Murphy put down.....

Keeping positive thoughts for Thomas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just continue to be amazed at how wonderful each and every one of you are!

Well I took Thomas to my regular vet this morning and the first thing she says is, "Oh my gosh! He has the cutest ears I've ever seen!"
This vet office has two doctors in it and I usually see the guy.....but today I saw the woman and she's never seen Thomas or Cooper. She only knows my other cats. So I told her the whole story about what he's been doing and she checked him over very carefully. He had no temp this morning, he acted like he felt fine, and she said that he had a beautiful, healthy looking coat.....so all of that was a good sign.

She listened to his breathing and she did hear the sounds I was talking about.....but she said that his lungs sounded very clear....not like asthma. She told me that sometimes young cats will get these polyps down deep in their middle ear that can actually grow down into the sinuses and cause that type of breathing sound. She said that it doesn't cause the cat any respiratory distress, unless of course the polyp grew so large that it begins to obstruct the airway. For that reason, they usually do recommend removing the polyp.

As for his gingivitis, she said that could either be a food allergy or a respiratory virus that caused that and he may not have had any other symptoms of a virus other than the red gums.

As for his vomiting and swollen lip......again...she thinks it's most likely a food allergy. Or he could be one of those kitties who has a really sensitive stomach and needs to eat a special kind of food designed to be easily digested. She said she has a cat who is like that and she has to feed that one separate from her other cats. The foam vomiting, she said was most likely because his tummy was already irritated from vomiting.....and so he just continued to have "dry heaves" basically and was only throwing up spit.

She said, at this point, feline leukemia would be very low on her list of guesses as to what's wrong with him. She said that he just looks too healthy. She even said that he could stand to lose a couple pounds because he's a little fat for his age.
(he weighs almost 9 pounds now at 6 months old) She gave me some Metaclopramide for him to take 30 minutes before meals to help with the nausea and a sample of some cat food that is for kitties with sensitive stomachs.

So Thomas and Cooper are both scheduled to be neutered next Wednesday and the other vet will be performing the operation. She suggested that I schedule it for a Wednesday because the other vet....(the guy) is the one who removes the ear polyps if he has one. Since they have to look so far down in the ear....and even in the throat and under the soft palate.....it's easier to do it while the cat is asleep. So that can all be done at the same time. They will also do all the blood work then because Thomas would not cooperate today so that they could draw his blood. Since the vet doesn't feel that it's an emergency.....she said she'd rather wait and get all the blood work done while he's sedated.

Anyway......she was very reassuring and made me feel a lot better about things. He'll still be tested for the leukemia....but she doesn't feel like that's what is wrong with him. I told her about what the vet last night told me and her response was, "I can tell you 50 things that cause gingivitis besides leukemia......and as healthy as Thomas looks.....that would not even be close to the top of my list." I'm very relieved to say the least.

I will still keep you all updated as to what all they find with Thomas next week. And thanks again to everyone for your support!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Robin......doesn't that make you feel better. I hate doctors of any kind who create the worst scenerio at first..........
Let's hope this female doc is right! I've got my fingers crossed for you!!!

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyKook

She said, at this point, feline leukemia would be very low on her list of guesses as to what's wrong with him. She said that he just looks too healthy. She even said that he could stand to lose a couple pounds because he's a little fat for his age.
(he weighs almost 9 pounds now at 6 months old)
That's great news (well except for the weight loss, poor guy)!
What a relief!