my trip to the vet/what to do

amy thornton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently was brought a rescued kitten that's mother was killed by a car. He was about 3 weeks old based on the fact that he could eat soft food and I still had to assist him to use the bathroom for the first few days, he is now about 8 weeks old and I took him to the vet yesterday, as soon as we step into the office he started hissing and growling and just became more and more tense. He has never acted this way and after the vet stepped in the room it just went down hill. He only tried a couple times to pet Gizzy and then said this is not going to go well, in order for him to even consider giving him shots was to sedate him, I really don't want to do that. We rescheduled his appointment but he told me Gizzy will only get worse and that I won't be able to keep him in the house because he would just get more and more aggressive and I should get him fixed and release him outside. I am so upset he never acts like that and now I am worried that I won't be able to keep him. I need some serious advice. I will do anything to keep him in our home we have had him 5 weeks and are attached and love him! Help

lexiegirlblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Find a new vet!!!!  That vet sounds like the new one I took Princess Elise to and what I did was filed a formal complaint with Banfield and the State of OR.  I think you should do the same thing in your community.  You know in your heart what is best follow it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amy thornton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is what I told my husband this morning that I don't have a good feeling about what advice he gave, and I really have a problem putting him under sedative and leaving him there with the vet just to get shots. Do u think it would be ok to wait and get his shots when I can get him fixed in another month or so or is that to long to wait?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Is your intent for this baby to remain indoor only for the time being? If so, I think you are ok in waiting a few weeks. I also highly recommend finding a new vet as well...one who specifically treats cats (or even look at a low-cost spay/neuter facility as they are use to handling feral cats, I'm sure they could handle your kitten...not that he is feral.)

Also, I imagine his behavior was simply out of fear. I would imagine that he hasn't been outside of the house since you got him?

I would get him use to his carrier (leave it out in the house, feed him in there) and then get him acclimated with *short* trips in the car. There are some calming sprays that you can also use in his carrier or on a blanket (do not spray directly on the cat) that could help relax him a bit.

Also, kittens need a series of 3 booster shots to gain full immunity.

amy thornton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to keep him indoors 4- ever if Gizzy will allow that. He sleeps in a large pet carrier and is in there during the week when my son is at school until he can be trusted not to poop or pee anywhere but his litter box. I just dont know alot about taking care of cats yesterday was the first time he has been taken inside somewhere else, but he has rode with me in the car on short trips here in town. I did notice today when a friend of my husbands came over today that he instantly flattened his ears and backed up to the wall, this friend has been here several times but this is first time Gizzy reacted this way

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, hope you don't mind me joining in. I agree with CatPack. Your little kitten's behaviour will have been out of fear, in an unfamiliar place with an unfamiliar person.  For a vet to make this judgement on first meeting a young kitten seems quite extreme and I would definitely be looking for a vet if that is an option where you live.

I selected my current vet when I had a seriously gentle tabby who was phobic about vets after a series of visits for recurring UTIs: my previous vet had moved on but had always given me sedatives to give her before I took her in, and even then she had sliced his hand open as the oral sedative wasn't that predictable.  I asked around everyone I knew to find out who was happy with their vets, then from that list checked if any dealt with rescue cats - I now go to the practice that handles our local cat rescue centre.  They sedate if necessary when a cat can't be handled safely, but they are so experienced that I don't think that happens very often.  Both my cats other than the vet phobic one have loved them even though not been fans of their previous vets. It makes such a difference if the vets are cat people!

As for the reaction to your husband's friend, could it be that this is a lingering anxiety from the vet visit?  If you think your little kitten is still anxious and isn't settling down after a few more days it might be worth investing in a Feliway diffuser.   The Feliway spray used on blankets in the carrier used to transport to the vet might also help your situation - but changing vet will be the best thing in my book. 

Good luck.

amy thornton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, i am glad to hear that his behavior wasnt so abnormal.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
He is a tiny kitten that has been separated from his mom way earlier than he should have been. His short life has been a scary one and he has only recently come in to your home and is learning to trust you.  It does not seem at all unusual that he should be frightened at the vets, especially as he will have picked up on any emotions around him and if the people didn't seem calm and know how to approach him sensitively this will have added to his fear.

If he isn't getting out and he isn't socializing with other cats I wouldn't rush to get his shots done until you find a more approachable vet.  He has had enough stress in his life so far and will benefit from a break to build up his strength.   Keep him warm, well fed, plenty of fluids, and watch him grow and develop his play hunting skills.  

He will need help from you on his play/hunting/cat skills too if he has lost his mom this young. (Possibly in using litter, and in his bite pressure/biting play among other things). You should find advice about this both in the behaviour threads and the caring for stray and ferral cats section.  If he starts biting and chewing and needs to learn not to do it hard don't worry that it is linked to anything this vet has said to you - again it is normal for young kittens who don't have siblings or parents to teach them - they learn from their human companions it just takes a little bit longer.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I suggest going to the articles section (accessed on the banner at the top of the page) and read as many of them as you can. I always tell newer owners it is like an owner's manual for your cat.

And Welcome to TCS. Please post some pictures of your Gizzy and let us know the origins of his unusual name.

amy thornton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have had Gizzy about 5 weeks now, he is really good with us and has adjusted very well considering everything he went through already. We play with him with the poles with feathers on them and he loves balls that he can chase and bat at. We have an 8 year old female dog that has taken to him so much we cant beleave how well. He use the litter box and only went on the floor 2 times and that was the first week.