My TINY Pregnant cat help & questions...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kriskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Where can I buy Terramycin? I have called 3 different places and no one seems to carry. I will be taking Baby to the vet again. I had her script for amoxicillin, it got thrown away, and they won't give it again, so she will get another script.

However I am worried that the kittens are generally sick. Do new born kittens sneeze too? They also have little brown dots on their eyes like mom.

I want to do the Terramycin so they are comfortable first. However I'm thinking they ALL need to go to the vet.

Am I right in assuming this? I was told by one vet it was a cold, the other "nothing".. I'm worried I will go there again and pay him to tell me it's nothing again.

One more thing. Baby has been having these attacks. It sounds like fast wheezing and it's none stop for about a minute. When I see her do it I rub her chest and soothe her so it stops early..
Is that normal in cat colds?

Thanks again so much

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ugh. Take the mom and all the babies to a vet immediately.

It sounds like mom and babies have a URI. It's a shame you did not treat the mom when you had a prescription. The babies now have what she has, only mom sounds worse at the moment. It won't take long before the babies go downhill either.

In the meantime, run a steamy shower and take the cats in the bathroom for 10 minutes. The steam will help.

A vet can advise you on the eyes. All vets carry antibiotic eye ointment.

So, you need to take them altogether today to see the same vet - preferably a new vet who will see them today and not be dismissive about their health.

Let us know what happens, but do not delay!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kriskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well this is horrible to hear, and frankly I should have listened to my instincts when it came to her health.

The medicine that was prescribed was actually only for my male cat Prince that I found her with. I took them both to the vet for their first well-being check up and to get their shots, the vet said Prince has a cold, and that Baby was completely normal, but even if she did catch it, it would go away quick.

Anyways, the part I regret was not filling it immediately, the reason I didn't at the time was because Prince cleared up almost immediately after he settled in. Shortly after that, the script disappeared.

Later I noticed Baby sneezing, however I thought it was because of dust or something. When Baby didn't seem to stop sneezing and I had a suspicion she was pregnant, is when I scheduled an appointment with my regular vet, a different one.

That is when the vet confirmed she was pregnant. I then told him that she has been sneezing more and has red crust forming on her eyes everyday. After the exam he said she was perfectly healthy, and her sneezing would not effect her kittens.

I called my vet right after your response .

I was firmer than usual saying that she is not okay, she is sneezing and now she is wheezing, her newborn kittens are also getting sick.

My vet remembered our visit and is prescribing her and her kittens Terramycin for their eyes, and antibiotics just for Baby since the antibiotics are too strong for the kittens, however the medicine will get to the kittens through nursing.
I will be picking up their medicine in 30 minutes.

Does this all sound correct?
Or is there something else I should be doing?

Thank You
I condensed it as much as possible, believe it or not! :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is perfect! Your vet is correct that the kittens will get the antibiotics through nursing.

Thank you for calling and being firm. The terramycin should heal all of their eyes.

Nice job! Let us know how they are doing tomorrow after you start all the meds! :)