My tiny kitten is so sick! Help!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am getting a bit worried OP has not been back on to update.  I would switch vets either this one does not care or maybe the kitten is not showing as sick at vet.  Something is up and needs to be dealt with.  You need a vet for you and kitten not against.

sadeeanne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You need to find another vet. My vet wouldn't stop until he found out some way to relieve the stress to my kitties. I've had two sick boys in the last four years or so, and my vet has saved them both.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlelinus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone.  Thanks for the feedback and comments!  Sorry for not updating sooner but I went to work today because Linus is doing better!  Catsallaround- I'm sorry to have worried you!!!  And Catwomen707, I thought it was strange they didn't do blood work too, but I think the vet was right about it being a parasite.  And yes Tulosai, I guess they weren't as worried  as I was since his appetite was increasing.  And he was always more active there than he ever was at home... figures!  As it turns out, I don't know why he was confused last night but now he seems to be doing GREAT!  Nearly back to his normal self.  Around 2am this morning I went to feed him and he ate like he had never seen food before!  Then he had a normal stool and wanted more.  He ate again at 4 and since has been just an eating machine!   I've been feeding him every two hours and I can hardly keep up! I am mixing in canned kitten food with rice a chicken (he still won't eat canned food on it's own so I'll slowly add more and more).  He won't eat dry food either, but I think that's better for now so he can keep hydrated until we are sure that this thing is gone.  He has had three normal stools too! Yay!  His eyes look clear and according to my postal scale he's just over 2 lbs! He still has lots more to gain, but with his appetite now, I think that won't be a problem.  He gained weight in just one day!! Or maybe it was just the weight of the food in his stomach but either way, I'll take it! :)  He is active, he is mousing my keyboard as I type this and earlier he was stocking and mousing our dogs ears lol!

I think that he must have coccidia (spelling?).  He has been on treatment for three days and the meds must be working.  He still has a week more of meds BUT I think (finger's crossed) that his misery might be over! HE'S HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am getting ready to call the shelter and let them know just in case his litter mates have symptoms.  Through it all, I can't believe how up and down he's been.  It seems crazy that just yesterday I was worried he might not make it and today he's starving and mousing like a crazy little kitten.  Let's just hope he keeps steadily going up and that this roller coaster is over.  Thanks everyone for following little Linus.  It is really great to have support and advice from fellow animal lovers.  Love to all from Linus and myself :)! I'll keep everyone posted about his progress! 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wonderful news!

Isn't it incredible how fast they can turn from sick to better, or fine one minute and sick the next?

Glad to hear things are looking up :)

carolstrio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
reading this thread has helped me immensely today.  So glad Linus is better.

I have posted elsewhere about our Cami  and that she is being treated as Linus was ...I was so worried today at the 24 hrs mark since the vet visit. I expected miracles I guess but I see here how the ALBON works by the 4th or 5th day with the stools.  She has had 2 doses so far.

And the advice about the KMR  (Cami will be about 10 weeks old this weekend and she LIKES the KMR it was not that long ago she was on it) I was concerned about dehydration when I saw the diarrhea fly our of her today.

After reading about the KMR and helping get some nutrients and weight back on her ...my husband and I went out and bought it. She is still eating and drinking but the bland diet and the loose stools really needed some better liquid support. I have been doing small frequent feedings and gave her a drink of the KMR.

She is so tiny and yet she is interested and trying ....so I am feeling better from what I have read here!!!!

thank God for people who share experiences.

littlelinus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
CarlosTrio- I'm so sorry you have to go through this too!  I think its a good sign that your little one is still interested in food.  I'm glad Cami likes KMR - it should only go up from here.  For us it has been a long road to recovery!  Linus is STILL on Albon and even has a second medication.  His stools would be solid for a couple of days and the go right back to being horribly runny.  So the vet prescribed him on "metronidazole" about 5 days ago.  The second medication has been working wonders.  Since he's been on it, he has had a ton of energy, normal stools and is eating three cans of wet food a day!  It worked after the first dose too.  The vet said to stop giving him the medication when his stools are normal... so we did and the diarrhea came right back. So he's on it twice a day for now and the albon :(.  I hate giving him all of this medicine, but it seems to be working because he's as happy as can be and has gained a full pound (he had a lot of catching up to do).  I hope Cami's case is not as bad as Linus'!  But if it is, the metronidazole has really helped us.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Keep us up to date!

littlelinus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, if you haven't already, you might want to get Cami a separate litter box so your other cuties don't get sick.  When Linus was at his worst he would drip on his way to the litter box (disgusting I know!), but the vet said to make sure to keep my dog in a separate room because it's passed through their feces.  So glad that phase is over with!!  Good luck again!  And you can do it Cami!

carolstrio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much LittleLinus.

This morning Cami was right there at the gate and took half her food with some KMR added. It might be my imagination or wishful thinking but she seemed a tad heavier than yesterday. Dose 3 of the Albon is in.

Our vet mentioned the Flagyl but said she preferred the Albon first for a kitten this little. She is barely a pound. So we will be back on Monday and see what the next plan is. The stool this morning is a light tanish color not the pink brown liquid that she had when I brought her in on Tues. (sorry for the graphics...it was first mucous then drippy liquid) It is a little thicker this morning.

It may be too late for keeping the other kittens out of this. They do have two boxes but we did not separate the kittens. I just take her separately to eat so the other two don't steal her food. They are great eaters and more than double her size.  When we brought them home the two girls were the biggest and the little male was tiny. Once home he got with the program and bypassed both girls. Cami has had the most against her in a sense from go. She had a sore bottom that needed treatment with Animax, that was from another kitten nursing on her (my three had another younger kitten with them for a short time being hand raised as they were) then she woke up one morning with a sticky eye...she got the antibiotic ointment that healed it right up. Bottom and eyes looked great!

Then I noticed that she seemed so much smaller while the other two were doubling in size.

She never stopped eating. THEN Tuesday morning the funky stools. And less playing and off we went to the Vet. So...I am now watching them all like a hawk...as if I wasn't before!!! ha ha!  And will get a chance to have them all in next Monday for check ups and at least vacs for Ella and Maxwell. 

All in all they had a rough start being born in a shelter from a stray momma and then when she couldn't feed them they got hand raised and fostered until I took over and adopted them ...they were still in a less than optimal state but did great up until these things that we have dealt with. Cami is a little fighter so I am hoping and praying that we are on the road to recovery no matter how long it takes.

That is my prayer...again, thanks so much for the encouragement. SO appreciated!

littlelinus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor little Cami!  Why does kittenhood have to be so stressful?!  Your stool description sounds all too familiar.  Linus was the same, it would go from yellow and bloody mucus and then started to get more and more tannish brown.  He would go up and down, but the brown stools were his first sign of improvement too, so hopefully Cami is beginning the road to recovery!  I am sure Cami will start to get stronger each day.  We are cheering for her!