My Timothy outside

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kinda late in the game. I have made a make shift shelter for him under my steps in the back yard. I have closed the sides up the best I can and have straw in there for him do you think he will be warm enough? Not much I can do but I still worry. Its supposed to get down to 30 tonight. He has an enclosure I made for him its insulated and has straw in it as well. I just need some reassurance I have done all I can to keep my feral warm 💔. I do worry for him

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I have 4 outdoor cats that spend the winter in an insulated wooden shed. They have wooden boxes that are also insulated and filled with straw. As long as they have somewhere dry and out of the wind they're fine.

Mine all snuggle together for warmth. If Timothy is on his own you could try the rice sock method. Get a sock made of natural fibers, not synthetic. Fill it with uncooked rice, tie off the end and heat it in the microwave. The rice will retain a lot of the heat for hours and keep his bed warm.

Thank you for taking care of him, I'm sure he appreciates it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kinda late in the game. I have made a make shift shelter for him under my steps in the back yard. I have closed the sides up the best I can and have straw in there for him do you think he will be warm enough? Not much I can do but I still worry. Its supposed to get down to 30 tonight. He has an enclosure I made for him its insulated and has straw in it as well. I just need some reassurance I have done all I can to keep my feral warm 💔. I do worry for him
You definitely did good with doing everything you did for the outdoor kitty. They do make heated shelters for strays but they are expensive and you gotta leave them plugged in. As someone already mentioned get some rice put it in a sock tie the end of the sock and heat it in the microwave. It will keep his bed warm for hours. You can also get a self warming mat to put in his shelter. I gotta redo the kitty shelter for the strays that are outside my place. But I am glad you are giving the kitty a nice little home to sleep in. You are doing great!

The cat self warming mat from Amazon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 4 outdoor cats that spend the winter in an insulated wooden shed. They have wooden boxes that are also insulated and filled with straw. As long as they have somewhere dry and out of the wind they're fine.

Mine all snuggle together for warmth. If Timothy is on his own you could try the rice sock method. Get a sock made of natural fibers, not synthetic. Fill it with uncooked rice, tie off the end and heat it in the microwave. The rice will retain a lot of the heat for hours and keep his bed warm.

I will have to try that tomorrow. Tonight i am going to staple a piece of carpet in between the top and secnd step and hope it helps as much as it can. But that is a great idea. Thank you

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I am glad I can or at least try. So my question is I got the rice tonight so tomorrow I put some in a say like a mans crew sock and heat it, how long do I heat it and do I put it under the straw so it won't burn him?

It will be cold in the morning too so I plan to use the rice when I get home after feeding him.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Usually 1 to 2 minutes in the microwave is plenty. Put it under the straw at first. It will warm the straw and as the rice sock cools down the cats usually paw away at the straw so they can sit directly on the sock.

Just make sure the sock is all natural fibers, synthetic socks will melt.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Usually 1 to 2 minutes in the microwave is plenty. Put it under the straw at first. It will warm the straw and as the rice sock cools down the cats usually paw away at the straw so they can sit directly on the sock.

Just make sure the sock is all natural fibers, synthetic socks will melt.
Well I don't know about the socks I have but they mostly of cotton. They are the Hanes men's crew socks.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I don't know about the socks I have but they mostly of cotton. They are the Hanes men's crew socks.
I am just going to use a hand towel from work they are 100% cotton and then transfer it to the sock. Thank you so much

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He made a big dent in the straw last night 💜and was waiting on his hot food 😁😁😁

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He made a big dent in the straw last night 💜and was waiting on his hot food 😁😁😁
Update and frustrating. He doesn't like the rice sock so I give up. I will supply dry straw and food. He will handle the rest. What else is there to do so. Thank y'all for everything

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The self-heating mats? I think you were given a couple of links to different ones. It could be the heated sock is just too much of a change for him to feel comfortable with. Assuming he would use a self-heating mat, it would gradually warm up, perhaps making it easier for him to adapt to?

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The self-heating mats? I think you were given a couple of links to different ones. It could be the heated sock is just too much of a change for him to feel comfortable with. Assuming he would use a self-heating mat, it would gradually warm up, perhaps making it easier for him to adapt to?
I don't know and if people only knew how much money I have spent between he and Bella to help them in the wearher they are breaking me in every since. I have bills to pay and can't afford the mat at this point I just put some fresh straw and closed the sides off some more. That is the best I can do