My three year old adopted male cat really misses his old home

fierce

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 Hi y'all
 I'm new to this site because I need some advise. I just adopted this beautiful jet black american short hair. He's three years old and in great health. His dad had to give him up after raising him from a kitten, so he was very bonded to his dad. Anyway I fell in love, Boo is playful, confident, and smart,,,,at his house. So, I get him home, and you all know rest. I think he just really misses his old life. This is my first cat who came from another home, so it feels like he's been kidnapped. How do I bond with a cat that really doesn't like me?  Should I get him a kitten? 

And to make things more weird his old owner keeps texting me, and asking how he's doing, I'm like "hey dude he's mine now," but I reasure him that Boo is fine and that we love him and all he needs is time and patience. I know how to bond with cats, I guess I just need to know that Boo will adjust and be happy here with his new forever family. Any advise or encouragement goes along way

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long have you had him? It will take lots of time for him to adjust to his new home and new human. His whole world has been turned upside down and he needs to rebuild his confidence and work on establishing a new relationship with you. He needs lots of time, tlc, and patience on your part. If you're stressed, he will pick up on it, so let him set the pace and he'll do fine.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats can take weeks to adjust to a new home, and that's after being adopted from a shelter where the cats don't have a strong bond with the people around them. As long as he is eating, drinking, and using the litterbox properly, I wouldn't worry, especially since you mentioned that you just got him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fierce

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for that :) Yes he is eating and drinking and using his litter box. When I met him he was so self assured, ready to meet my husband and I, he played with us like he always knew us. We joke that he thinks he has been kidnapped, but we call it a surprise adoption.

Earlier today I layed on the ground with him, and we played a while.

Should I not let him hide under the couch all day? Today is the first day he's been out during the day.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I'd let him come out in his own time. He may have decided that he's comfortable under the couch and has made it his "home base" - that one safe spot he feels comfotable coming back to. Eventually he'll feel that comfortable in the whole house, but for now, I'd let him keep his safe spot.

If he came out to play today, that's a good sign. As the others have mentioned, it can take awhile for a cat to adjust to a new home. I would just make sure he keeps eating and drinking, hang out with him when you can and let him come around on his own.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh you've not had him long at all!  I'd just continue to do what you're doing.  Perhaps you could get an old towel or something from his former home and let him have that to lay on.  It will comfort him.  Also, use toys on a wand to draw him out from under the couch.  Also, you might put him in a room so he can get used to all the sounds and such of your home.  Then, gradually allow him more and more access to your home.  Putting him in a room by himself seems cruel, but it allows the kitty to gain confidence in the new place.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its takes time just let him get used to you and his new home. Do not even think about bringing a kitten into your home now though..That might really cause problems.

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its takes time just let him get used to you and his new home. Do not even think about bringing a kitten into your home now though..That might really cause problems.
I agree - once he is settled in and "owns" the place, he would likely appreciate a playmate,

but he needs to be very comfortable and secure in his new home first.