My tabby

cassey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He licks the floor frequently. Why this behavior.he is 7 mths old.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
When did he start this behavior? Is it all floor types (carpet, wood, etc.?).

He is not alone in this behavior - this has been seen in other cats as well. The first thing to do is to take him to the vet to have him checked out, but this may be a nervous behavior akin to obsessive compulsive disorder. Another possibility is it stems from a nutritional deficiency or disorder.

It is really important to keep floors as clean as possible as he might eat something he shouldn't, e.g string or a rubber band or similar small object. These things can cause intestinal blockages that require surgery to resolve.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cassey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I realized it yesterday...not sure since when, but my mum loves to irritate him as she feels it is cute. Im sure it would effect it emotionally. Ok will check with the doc. Is it treatable?

margd

Veteran
Purraise
When you take him to the vet, describe what your Mom is doing. The vet is in a good position to tell her how harmful it is to tease or irritate a cat. Your kitten will become distrustful of people, nervous and stressed and generally unhappy. Your Mom needs to stop this right away. Perhaps when she realizes your kitten might develop behavior problems that require money to treat, she will see it is in her best interest to treat the kitten with the love and respect he deserves.

I don't know if licking the floor is a nervous habit your kitten has developed from being teased - only the vet can give you input on that after an exam.

As for fixing the problem, until you know why he does it, it's hard to know the right treatment. It may be as simple as changing your floor cleaner if your kitten likes the taste. Certainly eliminating the stress in his life will go a long way in helping him, if this is indeed stress related.

Please let us know what the vet says!

Last edited:

cassey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My family vet had ask me to leave shalom at home...so that he will not feel so stress in the shop

margd

Veteran
Purraise
I think we need to know a little more history.   Your vet said Shalom was feeling stressed in the shop - how did Shalom show that stress?   Also, when did he move into your home?   Moving can be stressful, but Shalom will soon feel at home, as long as he is treated well.  Also, if he just moved, licking the floor might just be part of checking out the new place and he'll stop once he gets used to his new home.  Is he showing other symptoms that worry you?

cassey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh he travels everyday since he is a baby...

cassey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm my shop is doing a lot of shifting and also renovation...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you mean he travels every day?  At 7 months he can definitely be left alone as long as the area has been cat-proofed.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
How is your kitten doing today?  

Here are some articles on stress in cats that you might find helpful.
[article="30316"]Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats  [/article][article="30307"]Is Your Cat Stressed Out  [/article][article="32758"]You Your Cat And Stress  [/article]