My Sweet Pixel is leaving me :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet gave me a/d to give my cat when she was sick and not eating when she had kidney failure.  The vet said it usually given to pets who are very sick or who have been injured.  Supposed to be 'really yummy' and hard to resist.  My cat would eat this and not much else near her end.  Miss you still sweet girl.

Hills Prescription Diet a/d Critical Care. http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-feline-ad-caninefeline-critical-care-canned.html

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat was given A/D when he was on tube feeding. It is a high calorie nutrient dense food for critically ill animals. They can get what they need including extra calories while still consuming a small amount of food. I hope your kitty makes it to the vet and gets better. If not than I hope her passing is easy and gentle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat was given A/D when he was on tube feeding. It is a high calorie nutrient dense food for critically ill animals. They can get what they need including extra calories while still consuming a small amount of food. I hope your kitty makes it to the vet and gets better. If not than I hope her passing is easy and gentle.
thank you

Sending lots of :vibes: and :hugs: your way, Laureen.
thanks - she's still hanging in there!

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry this is happening. Please let us know what happens, if she makes it to the vet or not. I hope for a miracle. 

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry this is happening. Please let us know what happens, if she makes it to the vet or not. I hope for a miracle. :vibes:
she did- she's @ the vet's now - they're planning to run a blood panel (& who knows what else - $$$ probably) & will call to let me know what they find out, if anything. she definitely seemed perkier last night & this morning than she has since saturday. her eyes are still very dilated, but this morning her haws were NOT visible - they have been since saturday midday. the only things i can think of that could cause such a sudden crash are some sort of stroke or toxin - but she's an indoor only cat, never been one to nibble/eat things other than food... plus, there's really nothing here that could be a problem - the house hasn't even been cleaned (i.e. floors mopped, etc.) for a couple of weeks.
i'll let y'all know as soon as i know anything. thanks for all the support - might very well be why she made it to today! :hugs:

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update.  Glad she seems perkier.  Hoping that a little food and some hydration is all she needs.  {{Hugs}}

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You said she eats kibble. Any chance she's eaten some of the food that's been recalled recently for salmonella? There's a long list of foods that's recently been recalled. 

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
You said she eats kibble. Any chance she's eaten some of the food that's been recalled recently for salmonella? There's a long list of foods that's recently been recalled. 
it'd be odd, since all 3 eat the same thing - RC Special 33. wouldn't one of the others be showing symptoms? or is it one of those, 'maybe she got the piece of kibble w/the salmonella' things? i didn't remember seeing RC foods on the list, unless there's be a new list.

Laureen, I'm thinking and praying for you and Pixel!!!
thanks! :hugs:

ok, all - vet just called. Pixel's been fighting a UTI, & has had several urinalyses lately - none had showed any signs of diabetes. but today, her blood sugar is quite elevated. the vet said that could be due to stress from the illness. in addition, her kidney enzymes are also very high - but she's also extremely dehydrated, so that might not be a completely accurate reading. she's had some sub-q fluids, & the vet is going to rehydrate her w/iv fluids, then recheck the blood work. the vet will call me back later today, but Pixel may have to stay the night to complete hydrating via iv.

will update when i hear again!

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't let them overhydrate with iv fluids.  My cat died after recieving too many fluids.  She had a heart murmur and was not able to process a large amount of fluid.  50-100ml should be enough at one time.  Give small amounts maybe twice a day and monitor. 

Vet sent my cat home and it was an entire day before she showed signs of labored breathing.  She was 14 and did not have heart problems befire, I just happened to notice 'heart murmur' on her pre iv-fluid appointment.  No one told me she had a heart murmur.

Last edited:

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I forgot to say I had given my cat sub-q fluids the two days prior to IV fluids.  Blood work looked very improved after iv fluids, this is why they sent her home.  Go extra cautious with too many fluids in an older cat.  Just my .02 cents after trying to live with myself and the decisions I made 14 months ago.  They robbed me and my kitty of some valuable time together.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless her heart.  I hope you can provide her plenty of very fresh water -- she may even surprise you and want some all-meat baby food. 

*PRAYERS* for Pixel and hugs for you both 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry about Pixel. When she comes home, if you're not already feeding canned food, you may want to consider that. It will help all aspects of her health. :heart2:

Did Java ever come back home with you? And do you know what happened to Chip and Firefox? :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about Pixel. When she comes home, if you're not already feeding canned food, you may want to consider that. It will help all aspects of her health. :heart2:

Did Java ever come back home with you? And do you know what happened to Chip and Firefox? :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:
Chip & Firefox were surrendered last year to a no-kill shelter :sniffle: - they both were adopted last fall - i had to move & could only take 2 cats w/me. my parents offered to 'foster' Java for the year - but she fell in love w/my dad, & he w/her, so she'll be staying w/them.

Bless her heart.  I hope you can provide her plenty of very fresh water -- she may even surprise you and want some all-meat baby food. :vibes: :kitty: :heart3:
:alright:   *PRAYERS* for Pixel and hugs for you both :nod:
well, i tried her on some baby food yesterday morning. she's never been interested in wet food, baby food, most treats - she's a kibble girl. when i was feeding wet, of my 5 cats at the time, only Cable, Chip & Firefox were interested. Pixel & Java never ate it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.