My surgery was today

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel, I've had 15+ surgeries since 2006, and just had 3 major surgeries within two months. So I feel your pain
. Sometimes it doesn't matter how much anti-nausea medication they give you, it still doesn't help all the way.

One thing I do, besides having a prescription for Zofran (nausea med), is that I have some chewable papaya flavored tablets. They taste like candy lol. But it's supposed to help calm a stomach, and it seems to work a bit for me. Doesn't make it go away, but just helps. My grandma used to take papaya tablets, that's how I know about it. I bought mine at Walgreens, it was in the vitamin and natural stuff section.

The anesthesia nausea will eventually go away. However, I've had it last in me for days in the past, and sometimes it only lasted hours. It depends. It takes a while sometimes because anesthesia takes FOREVER to completely exit your body. It's horrible stuff I tell ya.

Best wishes to you, hope you feel better soon!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mismaris777

One thing I do, besides having a prescription for Zofran (nausea med), is that I have some chewable papaya flavored tablets. They taste like candy lol. But it's supposed to help calm a stomach, and it seems to work a bit for me. Doesn't make it go away, but just helps. My grandma used to take papaya tablets, that's how I know about it. I bought mine at Walgreens, it was in the vitamin and natural stuff section.
If you're going to get more surgery, ask them for a list of all the meds you were given, and go through them with a nurse/anesthetist to try and figure out what's causing the nausea.

I know if they use gas it makes me nauseous too, so they only use oxygen through the mask for me.

And ask about Transderm Scop - it's the anti nausea patch that goes behind your ear. You can keep it on up to 3 days to help with the post-anesthesia effects too.

The combination of the patch, isolating what was most likely making me nauseous and limiting that, and delivering anti-nausea meds from as soon as they knock me out made a big difference. You just need to find someone willing to work with you

Oh and I have a heap of Zofran pills too - great stuff!

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

If you're going to get more surgery, ask them for a list of all the meds you were given, and go through them with a nurse/anesthetist to try and figure out what's causing the nausea.

I know if they use gas it makes me nauseous too, so they only use oxygen through the mask for me.

And ask about Transderm Scop - it's the anti nausea patch that goes behind your ear. You can keep it on up to 3 days to help with the post-anesthesia effects too.

The combination of the patch, isolating what was most likely making me nauseous and limiting that, and delivering anti-nausea meds from as soon as they knock me out made a big difference. You just need to find someone willing to work with you

Oh and I have a heap of Zofran pills too - great stuff!
I always tell the anesthesiologist that I have nausea issues with anesthesia, and that always helps. They give me several different nausea meds while I'm asleep. I actually have been offered the patch, but it has some possible nasty side effects. One being headaches- I really don't need anything more that will cause me headaches. Headaches are one of the reasons I have surgery in the first place lol. I haven't really had any issues with anesthesia since I switched hospitals. This new hospital very closely monitors how much they give you by brain function. They explained to me that a lot of time when people get so nauseous from anesthesia, it is because of anesthesia overdosing, which makes sense to me. I will try getting a list of the meds that I'm given the next time I have surgery (with the way I've been going, it shouldn't be too far in my future
)

I actually just had to take my zofran- my headaches are making me nauseous again.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jacky, how are you today? I hope you're feeling much better! Have you been able to eat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Everyone,
I still feel like throwing up and am very tired.
I also have bruises all over my arms.
I am going to eat something now.
I had Yogurt and Ginger Ale yesterday.
I have Cleo sitting here purring.
I am going to ask the surgeon on Tues what the stuff they gave me was.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Stay on the BRAT diet if you are feeling sick.
B-Bananas
R-Rice
A-Applesauce
T-Toast

Feel better headed your way.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear that it's over with, even though you're bruised and nauseated. Lots of for a quick recovery!

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Emy4cats

Stay on the BRAT diet if you are feeling sick.
B-Bananas
R-Rice
A-Applesauce
T-Toast

Feel better headed your way.
Definitely- I think that's the best thing to do. When I get like that, the biggest thing is making sure that you stay nourished. Or at least make sure that you always have something in your stomach if you're throwing up. And make sure you drink LOTS of fluids. You'll get dehydrated really quick, which will make you even sicker.

I hope you get better soon!

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh! and remember that Ginger Ale needs to be room temp. If you drink it cold it will just upset your tummy some more. Also remember to take sips!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or you could simply call your doctor and let them know you could use a different anti-nausea med.

As I've said before, I've had good luck with zofran. It is not a pill, you do not have to swallow it - which is why it's good for those who can't keep anything (including meds) down.
Phenergan, one of the more commonly prescribe ones, has a lot of side effects including hypotension (so it can be bad if a person already has low blood pressure, especially since low BP can cause nausea...).

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry your post-op is not going well with the nausea.
Mint tea also helps, and helps to rehydrate you as well as calm your tummy.There is also something very soothing about it, the aroma, holding the warm cup in your hands, like a minty hug.
(a gentle hug)
for your recovery.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Everyone,
I stopped throwing up but have a terrible migraine.
I have Rice, Tea and Aoolesauce here.
Tomorrow my husband will got to the Market and get me Jello.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Jacky

You know what works for me, and I always do for my friends when they are sick? Old fashioned oatmeal, made with whole milk... Not the instant type - the old fashioned, that you actually need to cook...
5 tbsp of old fashioned oatmeal
2 cup of whole milk
1/2 tsp of butter
3 tbsp of sugar...
You need to boil and simmer it for the time it says in the package - I don't remember how long... Usually until it gets thick enough for you to see the bottom of the pan when you mix it. When ready, put it on a deep plate, and sprinkle it with cinnamon.

It is the beeeeessstt... It soothes your stomach, and gives you the nutrition you need...
It's funny - my friends always call me for the brasilian oatmeal when they are sick... I always end up making more...

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,
I have to use soy milk because I am allergic to milk.
I will make the oatmeal with soy milk.
I took 2 of the bandages off today and I will take the others off in a few minutes.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Thanks,
I have to use soy milk because I am allergic to milk.
I will make the oatmeal with soy milk.
I took 2 of the bandages off today and I will take the others off in a few minutes.
Oh sweetie, please feel better soon! Just think of it this way: this won't last forever. That's what helps me get through those hell-ish post-op days.
And sometimes pulling those bandages off feels like the worst part

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Everyone,
I got all but 2 of the bandages off.
The blood is stuck to them and to the stuff holding the cuts together.
I have not taken to many of the pain meds.
I rather take pain then be messed up by the meds.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sam,
Oreo is next to Meeko and Coco is next to Sasha and Cleo.
I wish I could have shown Cleo this weekend but I am not allowed to.
Mary and Jerrie even offered to show Cleo for me but I said no.
They said I could just sit there but I can not do that.