My strange absconding tenants

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last Friday I expected two couples with one baby to come and stay in my house for one night before moving into my rental cottage for a week on Saturday. They needed the extra night because they were going to a wedding on Saturday and I offered them my spare rooms. Because that meant they had no cooking facilities that night I arranged to prepare dinner. The father of the baby told me he was wheat and dairy sensitive so I made special bread and planned an appropriate menu. I also bought a new cot for his baby. He specifically told htere werte no other problems I needed to worry about.
for them
Well, they arrived around 6 PM, Brought their bags in and went to look upstairs. The little boy (12 months old) waved at Tasha but was scared of the cats and his mother told me he had never seen a cat, which I thought odd. Then they realised that there were 8 cats in hte house. Now, hte house does not smell, there are covered litter boxes but locks on all bedrooms and everything was sparkling. But they were down the stairs and outside five minutes later, saying they could not stay here because the baby's mother was allergic to cats. I expressed horror and said that it says on the website that I have cats (plural) and why did they book? I also said that if they could manage one night, then there were no cats in the cottage and all bedding is hypo-allergenic. But they left, and I got an email later to say they were not coming back. They made me feel it was my fault. And of course, though they paid a deposit, they still owe me 550 euros, a lot of money. I invited the neighbours to dinner and we had a pleasant evening eating the carefully prepared food. So all was not wasted. But what should I do? Should I pursue them for the money? Do I write it off? I am sure htat they will accuse me of having a house that is unsuitable for anyone to stay, but \\I had a guest the previous night who was very happy and said he would recommend me to his friends in Switzerland. So I don't feel guilty.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
see over here we have to make sure our holidays for cottages are paid at least 4 weeks before our holiday date and its non refundable - well the places ive stayed they should have to pay you the money hun you went to all that trouble, and you clearly stated you cats so its their fault they did not stay

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Basically, they did not read the details in your website and they won't accept their mistake. So they put the blame on you. I think you have the right to demand what they owe you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Simply that the 10% deposit is payable on booking and the balance is to be paid on arrival. I do not charge for small breakages, they happen. There is no provision for refunds. This is the first time anything like this has happened - I will tighten my procedures next year. I am still fairly new at the holiday landlady business.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they owe you money. Will they pay it to you? Probably not without you having to take them to court, and then the decision is left to the judge who is a neutral party and it could go either way. If you lose, you may have to not only pay for your court costs, but also theirs. Should you win, they would likely have to pay your court costs plus the amount they owe you for the booking.