My son is distroying his fingers...

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok My son is now 5 years old and his poor hands are so bad. He has crewed then and his nals all up. What can I put on them that will make him stop. I can not use hot sauce cause he had GID....

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hot sauce isn't a good idea anyway.....

My fiance's son had a bad habit of sucking his thumb. He is 9 now, but we finally managed to stop it last summer by making him put a band aid on his thumb anytime we caught him with his thumb in his mouth. He absolutely hated wearing it, but it reminded him everytime he went to stick his thumb in his mouth not to do it. It didn't take very long for him to stop completely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
10 fingers o that is way to many bandaids and he likes them LOL.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm you're right.
I was trying to find suggestion online. All I could find is that if he is chewing on his hands often that it could be a symptom of stress or anxiety. Most sites said to reward him when he isn't doing it and when you catch him doing it remind him not to.
If they are really bad though have you thought about discussing it with his pediatrician?

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

Hmmm you're right.
I was trying to find suggestion online. All I could find is that if he is chewing on his hands often that it could be a symptom of stress or anxiety. Most sites said to reward him when he isn't doing it and when you catch him doing it remind him not to.
If they are really bad though have you thought about discussing it with his pediatrician?
I did and she said maybe try the nail bitting stuff but I have not found it anywhere. I was going to polish what he has left so it would taste nasty but I dont want to hurt him.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While your at home maybe you could start making him put gloves on when you see him chewing. Latex gloves would leave a yucky taste even after the gloves were off. I guess those would work the same way the band aid worked for us

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I will look for Latex gloves at walmart then. OK I have to go or the rain will be here. Thanks will let you know how it works. bye.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I sure hope that was good advice. I worry about giving advice when it comes to kids

I am not a professional by any means!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was broken of that habit at around 10 or so, when my mom showed me my own nails under a microscope.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ok, not sure I should be admitting this, but.... I sucked my 2 middle fingers (instead of my thumb) until I was 10- the only thing the stopped me was I got one of of those pallette expanders (widens top of mouth) in prep for my braces, couldn't fit 'em in there anymore!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You buy the nail yukky stuff at the chemist,
But i tell you it doesnt work because i went and bit my nails anyway.

When i had braces my nails were so nice and long

You could get him to piss on his hands before bed and dont make him wash his hands.... im sure he doesnt want to stick yukky fingers in his mouth!

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew someone that I think was about 8 who wouldn't stop sucking her thumb. They eneded up giving her some kind of retainer that had wires that went across it. It made it impossible/uncomfortable for her to suck her thumb and helped break the habit. I think that is used by doctors when all else fails and the child is getting to old. You still have time...

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you ever think of keeping a journal to see when during thye day he is doing this and what activity was he doing. For instance could he be watching a movie or cartoon on tv and not realize he is doing this? Or was he upset at something. Maybe there is a pattern that you could mention to his doctor??

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

You buy the nail yukky stuff at the chemist,
But i tell you it doesnt work because i went and bit my nails anyway.

When i had braces my nails were so nice and long

You could get him to piss on his hands before bed and dont make him wash his hands.... im sure he doesnt want to stick yukky fingers in his mouth!
I hate to admit it but I think he would LOL. I do not think he knows he does it at night. He does suck the 2 fingers LOL

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used nail polish remover to keep myself from biting my nails. I just swipped my nails with a cotton ball soaked in remover just as I would if I were taking off nail polish. It worked for me. That stuff is yucky tasting!

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by esrgirl

I used nail polish remover to keep myself from biting my nails. I just swipped my nails with a cotton ball soaked in remover just as I would if I were taking off nail polish. It worked for me. That stuff is yucky tasting!
Well the thumb stuff was a failed attemt. I am going to try the sports tape tonight HEHEHEH. This kids is going to hate me

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sucked two fingers until I was at least 5, because I remember worrying that I would be embarrassed if during naptime at school if I fell asleep and accidentally started sucking my fingers!

I think it is just a way of comforting himself. I never had this problem with my kids, but I don't think wrapping all his fingers is a good way to break the habit. Instead of fighting against him, try working with him.

Will he agree to choose two different fingers each night for you to wrap? That gives them a chance to heal. And maybe buy some manly lotion, so he can put lotion on his hands to help them heal. Even a sticker chart, for positive reinforcement when his fingers aren't sucked on, or if one fingernail grows a little bit long.

I wouldn't go for breaking the whole habit at once. And see if there is another comfort activity to replace the thumb sucking, like sleeping with a special stuffed animal (or if he is like my boys were, a truck!). Help him learn to be proud of himself for changing his habit.

Be careful with kids and rewards, though. I had a friend who offered her three year old any item at Toys R Us for getting rid of her pacifier. The girl proudly walked into the store, and chose a new pacifier!

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

I sucked two fingers until I was at least 5, because I remember worrying that I would be embarrassed if during naptime at school if I fell asleep and accidentally started sucking my fingers!

I think it is just a way of comforting himself. I never had this problem with my kids, but I don't think wrapping all his fingers is a good way to break the habit. Instead of fighting against him, try working with him.

Will he agree to choose two different fingers each night for you to wrap? That gives them a chance to heal. And maybe buy some manly lotion, so he can put lotion on his hands to help them heal. Even a sticker chart, for positive reinforcement when his fingers aren't sucked on, or if one fingernail grows a little bit long.

I wouldn't go for breaking the whole habit at once. And see if there is another comfort activity to replace the thumb sucking, like sleeping with a special stuffed animal (or if he is like my boys were, a truck!). Help him learn to be proud of himself for changing his habit.

Be careful with kids and rewards, though. I had a friend who offered her three year old any item at Toys R Us for getting rid of her pacifier. The girl proudly walked into the store, and chose a new pacifier!
I have tried it all he chews all his fingers. So I am putting a piece of tape ofer each one sort of like each finger has a bandaid just using tape.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by momof3rugratz

I have tried it all he chews all his fingers. So I am putting a piece of tape ofer each one sort of like each finger has a bandaid just using tape.
Well, to someone who used to suck her fingers, it sounds cruel. But you are there, and know the situation best. I know at that age both my sons got a nervous habit of licking all the way around their lips, so they had a chapped area about 1 inch all the way around their mouths! Especially the one who is 17 now, he just looked like a clown! I finally got real diligent about using chapstick, and yes, I did try to shame him about it some too. Finally it went away.

So I do understand the frustration with trying to change a kid that age for the better. Good luck, I hope he improves!