My son has Influenza

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I'm not sure how phenergan would help coughing, unless it has dextromethorphan in it too. If not, that's why it isn't doing much.

As for him being in a stupor - that's likely not the codeine. Phenergan is sedative, antihistamine, antiemetic, and at larger doses an antipsychotic (it's original use). It's also a strong anticholinergic (lots of side effects because of this) which is why I now have it in my medical records as a medication that I cannot be given at all. If you've never had it given to you, just a little warning if your blood pressure is low - it can make that much worse.

Chances are if he's coughing that much there may be a secondary infection now or bronchitis.
Personally I've never found anything to help the cough that comes from bronchitis, only getting the infection under control helped.
According to this http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/phe1333.htm both the Phenergan and the Codeine help with coughing. *shrug* I have been prescribed Phenergan for nausea control in the past (I still have some in my cupboard) but it didn't work well enough so I have a standing rx for Compazine now. I have it for my Addison's, to prevent vomiting.
I do have low blood pressure, but I never noticed the Phenergen to bother me. It just didn't work. I used to use it as a sleeping aid on occasion when I couldn't sleep, before I was put on Ambien.

I have no clue about a body's reaction to Codeine since I'm allergic to it and haven't had it since I was in middle school, when I found that out. I just assumed that his stupor was from that. He did pretty good today, and wasn't coughing very much. He went quite a while without medication, but tonight he started coughing again and I gave him some. He seems to be on the upward climb, though!

The mother from his class dropped his valentines off today, along with a bunch of treats from the party. He was SOOO excited!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Supposedly it helps with coughing if it's from a histamine reaction - being an antihistamie.

With my reaction to it, I'm not sure if it was strictly from it reacting with another med I was on (pharmacy did not know enough to catch this one) or because it's an anticholinergic. Others with dysautonomia with low BP have reported it making them feel horrible so I think it might just be the med itself. It caused very bad anxiety and made me startle from the slightest noises - it would feel like mini panic attacks. The rush from this was so bad I'd actually fall.
Between the weird panic attacks it did have me very dazed out feeling and lightheaded. And you're right, it did little for the nausea, too.
This spooked me enough that I have in my med records to never be given it again and I warn others about the drug because it does have a lot of side effects.

As I've mentioned before codeine and pain meds don't really do anything to me - so maybe in one more sensitive to them they could possibly cause drowsiness. Still putting bets on it being the phenergan knocking him out, though.

The worst part about getting sick is the cough, IMO. I'm glad to hear he's on the mend. Hopefully by Monday he'll be well enough to make it back to school.

I remember back when I was in fifth grade, I got sick and ended up with a cough that lasted for three months. I could hardly stay out of school for it but the teachers and other students would actually get mad at me for coughing. I seriously hope that no one else ever has to go through something like that.