My Sister has been offered 2 Guinea Pigs She needs advice!!!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has 2 Cats a Rat and a Guinea Pig. She is afraid if she dosent say yes they will go to the Pound. She lives in a 1 Bedroom Apartment. Should she take them. She is thinking of taking them and finding them a home later on.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Be sure she knows what to feed them. When I was young, we were given a couple of guinea pigs who I know realize we fed wrong, resulting in their eventual demise.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand garlic and onion goes well. Ha ha, just kidding, but I did see an Anthony Bourdain show, where whatever country he was visiting ate guinea pigs all the time. wish I would have remembered where it was. darn

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she feels she can handle taking care of all those animals, then go for it. Just keep the two new piggies seperated from the resident piggie for about a week to make sure there aren't any diseases the new piggies will spread to the resident - watch for sneezing, coughing or itching and/or hair loss. These can be signs of respiratory problems, or mites.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am on my sister's name and thought I would reply myself instead of her relaying the message. I know what to feed the guineas since I already have one. She just turned a year old and I believe the other two are around the same age. I am just afraid of getting two more since that will make a total of 6 pets in my little apt and not sure if my apt will approve. These little piggies are at my b/fs mom's house. She let her daughter pick them up from somewhere else around Dec. They realized that they take more responsiblity then they though. I have done a lot of research online to make sure my piggy gets the best and right stuff for her. I just want them to find a secure home and someone that is going to treat them correctly and I know I will. I guess we will see how things goes. BTW...they eat these little guys in Peru! Poor things.

mochaviolino

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If your sister is also located in CA, there are a lot of really great guinea pig rescues around, such as Cavy Spirit in San Mateo.

http://www.cavyspirit.com/

Otherwise you can post onto the Guinea Pig Cages forum, where there are a ton of helpful people (many of whom run their own rescues or help with no-kill shelters) that would gladly help her out.

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/index.php

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Sister got her Pig from a Rescue in San Mateo County. I was with her when she Adopted her a year ago. She was here tonight and told me she wants to try to keep them. Her Bfs family didnt relize they are hard work.

mochaviolino

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In that case, I'm glad they found a happy home and assume she already knows about the aforementioned websites

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well your sister needs to make a firm decision on whether or not she will rehome them - then she won't have to worry about if the apartment allows it. Plan on getting them healthy and rehoming in a month or however long it takes.

If she goes with the thought of rehoming, then its only a temporary thing.