My sick old cat

tuxedokitten217

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A couple of months ago I got my first place I decided to get a 6 month old tuxedo kitten the 3rd night he began to act strange he would walk then fall over when I tried to get him to eat he wouldn't that nite when I went to bed he would no longer walk I would stand him up but he would fall down my friend said he was passing and I couldn't take him to the vet because they were closed I made him a bed in the living room and went to bed knowing he wouldn't make it I woke up the next morning to find him eyes open frozen solid on the bed I couldn't move him there was no response I had him buried at my granny's house I've got a new cat now but I can't let my old cat go wat should I do???

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's a bad memory that is going to keep on replaying in your mind unless you stop it. It's hard but you need to take the remote control and change the channel when those thoughts come up.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. We do get very attached to our pets and it can be hard to let go. 

Since you have a new cat now, I think you should focus on getting this new cat the best possible care. Please do find out where the nearest emergency veterinary clinic to you is. Have the number for that clinic available to you and start saving up for that emergency visit. They do come and they can be expensive. Make sure you have enough money both for the treatment and for a way to get the cat there in time (a taxi, for example, if you don't have a car). 

I hope that by focusing on preparing for possible crises with the cat that you have now, you may be able to find a way to emotionally let go and put the past behind you. Also, I suggest starting a thread in our Crossing the Bridge forum, where you can share pictures and tell us more about the life of your cat that has passed on. 
 I hope you'll start an introduction thread in New Cats on the Block as well, and tell us more about your new cat too 

yoohoora

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear this.  It is traumatic to lose a pet. We grieve as long as it takes.  Just be gentle with yourself.  I know you didn't have your kitten long, but it's clear you cared about him a lot.  If you have a picture, why not frame it and hang it somewhere special?  Light a candle.  Put a kitty treat on his grave from time to time. And let your new little one help with the healing.  Love and play with him or her.  It's amazing how they can fill our hearts.  They don't replace the ones we've lost, but they still fill us with love and give meaning to our lives.

And yes, you can reframe what happened.  Remind yourself how much you cared about your kitty, and that you wanted to give him a wonderful life. There are some things that are beyond our control, though.  

Take care.  Hope you post pics of both your kitties, if you haven't already.