My sick little kitten

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, what a precious baby!!! I'm so glad he's feeling better, bless his little striped heart!

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most adoption groups and even pet store owners will try to keep and heal a kitten with diarheaa rather than give it to the new parents. This is because kittens with diarheaa tend to die really quickly if they are not treated correctly and promptly. And many new kitten parents (not counting you) make a mistake and stop treating the kitten too soon or just do not do the right thing or do not act quickly enough.

Also there could have been a fear that the kitten has FIP or another disease which cannot easily be tested for or ruled out until symptoms like diarheaa or other signs appear. In this case since you have another cat, it would be prudent for the adopting group to not want you to have the sick cat until they could treat it.

So the people who wanted your cat back for a week were actually trying to do the right thing even if it was scary and disturbing to you. And it sounds like they did not have the best communication skills.

Your kitten stopped using the litter box because he associated his diarheaa pain with the box. Indeed the Cat Attract litter is a really good idea and you should get that.

Also you need to go the extra mile on the places where he eliminated inappropriately. Cover them completely if you are able to, using furniture, aluminum foil, or anything that will keep him from going back there. You may have gotten rid of the smell but just in case, you should make that area off limits for him.

In order to get him situated back to his litter box, you should keep him in one room where the box is nearby. You may already be doing this, but if not, it is a good idea. If you see him use the box, give him lots of praise and an occasional treat.

Good luck. You really care for your kitty and that is commendable!

thepatches

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww! He's a sweet little baby isn't he!!!?

Your terrifying story is all too common with pet store cats and dogs. They just don't care and the vet's that give "certificates of health" are in on it most of the time.

I hope you and your buddy make it through your ordeal and stick it to that pet store and vet! You and Joey will be having good thoughts sent your way by lots of people and kities it seems

chowchow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please read this website immediately: www.catinfo.org. It's LOADED with valuable information, including about IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease), which your kitten may or may not have. Dr. Lisa Pierson wrote this website and has helped my cat tremendously -- my cat got diarrhea brought on by me giving him Whiskas Temptations cat treats for only one week and the diarrhea lasted for 5 MONTHS even though I had thrown out the treats right away. I tried many different natural remedies first and nothing was a permanent solution. Finally took him to a vet who prescribed Flagyl and Albon (liquid form), which we had to force feed into his mouth and the trauma made his diarrhea far worse -- he ended up pooping diarrhea on our bed and in every room of our place! The medication did nothing!

Anyway, Dr. Pierson's advise and information solved the problem with just the right food that nature intended for cats -- we should know that cats are carnivores. The ideal food she recommends is raw food you make yourself, her recipe is on her website. But I opted for her plan B, which is commercially prepared frozen raw food, which my cat didn't eat at all, even though I tried mixing it with things he does like such as catnip, etc. So I had to go for her plan C, which is canned food. First I tried a brand she recommended, Nature's Variety canned chicken+turkey, and he DID have solid poop finally! But he ate less and less of it, so I panicked and bought a canned brand which wasn't on her recommended list, Pet Promise canned chicken -- I bought it because it had no hormones or by-products, but it did have rice, and my cat pooped diarrhea on our bed a second time. You will see in Dr. Pierson's website that she doesn't recommend giving cats any grains because it's not what nature intended for them to have. Then I tried Wellness canned chicken, which is a brand she recommends -- he likes it and has been having solid poops ever since!!!

I'm so happy and relieved that my cat's chronic diarrhea problem had a solution AND it turned out to be such a simple, healthy and inexpensive solution after all!

In case anyone's wondering what I was feeding my cat before being referred to Dr. Pierson, I was giving him Innova Evo dry food. The wierd thing is that he didn't have problems before I gave him the cat treats, but the treats had corn in it which may have been the culprit as I've heard corn can cause problems for cats. Dr. Pierson didn't know why the diarrhea continued long after the cat treats, so she concluded the problem to be IBD.

I hope Dr. Pierson's information about proper diet will help your sweet kitten! Do keep us posted!