My Siamese has an excessively “drooly” mouth - licks her WHOLE face...!

Portlandsiamese

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Oliver, is a 7-8 month old female Siamese, and seems to have something going on with her mouth... it all started today when she was in my shirt; we were sitting on my bed because I had a friend over that oliver didn’t like, so I put her in my shirt to comfort her and hold her close. It’s not uncommon for us. Then all of a sudden she desperately clawed her way out, which is very unlike her since she never claws me.
I tried to observe her to see what provoked her to do that, considering she was so content Just seconds prior. I noticed she was acting like something was in her mouth, but not like normal, she is licking her lips VERY dramatically- like sticking her tongue out as far out & as far back as it will go on her face. she also was putting both her paws up to her mouth and it appeared as though she was trying to pick whatever it was out of her mouth, In almost a pulling motion like there was a hair in her mouth, but there wasn’t.
Could it be stress related from when my friend was over? She was shaking, very anxious and fearful before I put her in my shirt.. I have no idea what she could’ve possibly gotten in her mouth that was in my sweatshirt.
I tried to get her to drink some water but she would not. This was about noon today. She then went to her hiding spot and took her nap about 12:45-1pm today, and then woke up on her own around 5pm-530 approximately with drool marks on both the sides of her face along with a noticeably bad smell coming from her face... i don’t think it was coming from her mouth necessarily, because I tried to smell her mouth on purpose to see if it was her breath, but it smelled normal to me. Not sure what else it would be though.... She seemed extra disheveled when she woke up from her nap; she didn’t groom herself as usual right away, and literally looked like she just got back from a drunken night out (lol.)
i tried to get her to eat, but she would not eat hard food. I could tell she was hungry though so she ate as much soft food as she could (about 630pm) before her mouth started to bother her; I could tell she hesitated before she ate anything because of her mouth. She groomed herself after eating however which is a good sign I believe. she has not taken one drink of water at all and wouldn’t drink milk even when I offered her some, so that’s how I know she’s not feeling well: she normally eats really well and drinks water with her meals.
In between every single bite of soft food, she was licking her lips again. I’ve NEVER seen a cat’s tongue out so far in my entire life... it is now 8pm and by her facial expressions I can tell she’s really uncomfortable; she rests with her tongue just barely out/her tongue Sits between her top and bottom rows of teeth, all the time when she’s just sitting not doing anything, which is unusual. she is not purring as much as she normally would- even remotely comparably as much. still has not drank anything.
She has had normal bowel movement since the occurrence began, and her nose is similarly moist as it was before.

ive attached pics... And im trying to attach a video of her eating soft food so you can see how she licks her lips and face after every bite, and most notably the lick span is super wide!??? What does this mean?!
Is it the back of her throat bothering her or something? Can I attempt to rinse her mouth out with anything that would help? Any cat safe mouthwashes? I know that if she drank any water that it would likely help but I cant obviously force her to drink.

Should I give her baby aspirin to help with inflammation in her tongue/throat from the irritation? Does anyone have experience with it & how did you successfully administer it to your kitty, if so?

And yes I’ve made her vet appointment for tomorrow, I’m really hoping it gets drastically better by then (I will take her regardless!!!) because it’s just really uncomfortable for her and I can tell.

Thanks in advance for all the help, thoughts and advice!!

Attachments

PaperCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be a sign of discomfort from a tooth, esp since she's drooling and licking a lot. Cat's tend to also have some smelly breath so I would guess the smell is just her saliva that's all over her face. I hope things go well at the vet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Portlandsiamese

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s not normal for me to smell her at ALL when she gets up from a nap, It was like really bad. I’m sure it had to do with her drooling in her sleep and mouth open or something. I guess we will find out tomorrow. Thanks!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely a dental problem or throat problem. Most anything will make it hurt more. If you know someone who uses herbs, they may have slippery elm on hand to use as a soothing wash. If you can possibly afford it, have the vet sedate her for the best and easiest exam/treatment. Wishing the best for you both - don't forget to treat those scratches.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Portlandsiamese

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your advice. She didn’t scratch my skin luckily, I was wearing a sweatshirt lol. but thank you thank you!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper had a similar problem, a while back.

We noticed that he was chomping his teeth and licking his chops a lot, as if he had something stuck in his mouth. He seemed to be acting a bit sluggish and was off his food a little bit, too.

We took him to the vet and she took one look in his mouth and said, "Yup! Bad tooth!"
His upper, right fang was loose and getting infected.

The vet pulled the bad tooth, right there, in the exam room. The whole thing was over and done in less than five minutes.

She gave him a quick physical and said, "You're good!" We left with a prescription of antibiotics which we had to give for ten days.

Casper took his pills... begrudgingly... and, after that, he's been good, ever since.

I'm betting that your cat has a similar issue. (Fingers crossed. ;) )

I suggest getting your cat to the vet ASAP because a bad tooth can get infected and that can cause systemic illness. Getting the bad tooth out and curing any possible infection is important.

Our vet told us that it's a relatively common thing. It just happens to some cats.

Ever since we adopted Casper we noticed that he had one snaggly looking tooth. It was that tooth that got infected. We kind of wonder whether that tooth had been bad for a while. Casper was abandoned before we got him and he does have a nick in his right ear, the same side his bad tooth was on. We're guessing that he might have gotten in a fight while he was living on the streets.

Bottom line is that cats are masters of hiding pain. These kinds of things can fester for a long time before you notice. If you do notice a problem like this, it could have been brewing for a long time. Always check with a vet if you notice something out of the ordinary going on with your cat.