My Shelter Kitties

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I was at the animal shelter, I took pictures of the kitties. Several weeks later, I got kicked out. See this thread for details.

So here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to post pictures and descriptions, just like I would've done if they'd let me do it officially. And if anyone's around in Xenia, Ohio, and wants to visit Animal Control and take one of these kits off their hands, I imagine the felines (and me) would be quite grateful. I'm including a full description rather than the "only say the good parts" you'd do if you were trying to get the average person to adopt a cat... anyway, none of those bad points is very bad. Just shyness and kitten exhuberance, mostly.

Hopefully you will excuse my bad photography... I have no talent with it and am lucky just to get the cat in the frame, much less facing the camera and not licking its nether regions at the time.

Note that the ages here are the ages on the cats' charts. They are probably older than that; the ages were written down when they first came to the shelter.

This little tuxedo boy is the quietest cat I've seen at the shelter. He's a young adult who spends most of his time sleeping or watching the other cats. When you interact with him, he will rub against you and butt his head against your hand to be petted... all slowly and in a rather dignified manner. Nothing seems to faze this fellow. Neutered.

She's three years old, spayed, and front declawed. She's a big cat--at least twelve pounds--and, when it comes to humans, all love. She loves to be petted, and will wind around you and push her head under your hand. She doesn't like having her belly or paws touched. She doesn't do well with other cats--she was probably raised as an only cat--and will hiss upon seeing one. Other than that, she's pretty easygoing, though I think perhaps her declawing affected her temperament--she's more defensive than she needs to be. She loves having "conversations"--meow at her, and she meows back!

Four months old and already a beauty, this little tortie girl loves people in general, and shoulders in particular: If you don't watch out, she'll climb up to yours and take in the view! She doesn't like being carried around too much, though she'll tolerate it--she likes playing and exploring too much to sit still. Chicken-flavored treats are a favorite with this little lady.

All black except for a tiny white spot on his chest, this 8-month-old neutered male is quite a looker. He's big for his age at about 10 pounds. He'll chase anything that moves, especially a jingle ball; but he likes pouncing on bugs as well. He seems to be quite nervous at being in such a big, noisy place; his chart says he was raised in an apartment, which must've been quieter than this. He'll probably need some time to get adjusted to his new people when he's adopted: While he'll let you touch him, and doesn't mind, he's not all that keen on human interaction. Some playtime and some kitty treats should work wonders.

This small gray tabby is five months old. She's spent over a month waiting for adoption, probably because she's shy. If you open her cage, she'll skip to the back of it, not quite sure what to do about this gigantic human looming over her. However, if you were to pick her up and hold her securely, she'll start purring and sniffing at your face. She needs a quiet, calm owner to be happiest. Don't let her initial shyness fool you: She's quite a curious little cat when she's got her courage together; and she likes to explore. She seems to calm down most when you make firm, constant contact with her, whether petting or holding. She has a very good hunting instinct, and she loves to play with her jingle ball, her cagemate's tail, or just the shadows in thin air--she isn't picky.

"Hi! I'm cute!" says this three-month-old neutered male kitten. He'll purr at the mere sight of a human; and if he's excited, he opens his mouth slightly and ups the volume until you wonder where the motorcycle is! Generally seen reaching his paws out through the bars of his cage at any passer by, he especially loves to play with string. He needs to be trained out of play-biting when he's overexcited, which happens when he's had a long play session with a visitor. It's not a problem now--he doesn't bite down--but in about six months... watch out!

(The person holding this little cat is a shelter employee, who didn't give me permission to post her picture, so I've cropped out everything but the cat.)
This kitten disappeared from the shelter less than a week after I noticed signs of illness and reported them: a gummy, swollen right eye (it looks shut in this picture; it isn't actually), shaking, and sneezing. Other than her illness, she seemed to be quite a personable little one. She didn't like to be held much, preferring to explore and play; and she loved to dig her claws into the carpet scraps on the floor. Upon first meeting her, she was rather shy; but she eventually warmed up enough to purr--a very quiet thing you can feel, but not hear--when someone stroked her.

What you see here is a little brown tabby whose description I can't find... maybe four months old, probably female. If I recall correctly, she was one of the more skittish ones, and a little frightened of the boisterous new kittens (eight-weekers) in the room.

A cat and string: This is a thing of beauty... or, at any rate, that's what this three-month-old girl thinks. She's absolutely crazy about anything that dangles, drags, or flips: in a word, string toys. She won't stay in your lap a moment longer than it takes to notice something moving; and when she notices it, she's off!

He's the only one left of his litter; gray and tabby sisters were adopted out recently. He's a cat of simple passions: A jingly ball, a cat treat, and a dangle toy are all you need to make him quite happy. He doesn't mind petting but would much rather play.

And here are some photos of the shelter in general...

The bundle of gray fur on the bottom shelf is actually two eight-week-old kittens, which should give you an idea of the tiny size of those kits. Their sibling, the black kitten beneath their perch, is still at the shelter...

..and that's her, two weeks later and a little bigger, on the lower shelf again. The orange and gray tabbies on the top are the same as the ones on the top cage of the first picture.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i loved your pics, & your descriptions were delightful! you have a wonderful way with words, & made me want to go & get all of these adorable furbles!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a rare beauty in your descriptions - I could easily envision what a visit in person with them would be like! You have a wonderful gift - perhaps you could train to be an ASPCA adoption counselor

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, but being an adoption counselor means being able to talk to people, and not just to cats! :p

You can't blink at people, dangle a string, and give them treats... you have to be (shudder) sociable!

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Callista,, you really are selling yourself short on this..

You've just got to be more happy with you... Be happy of the person you are and what you want to do with life.. Talking to people isn't that hard,, just think your worth of it, and go for it..

I do like your descriptions though.. I'm in love with the black cat, and the orange cat.. How cute.... If I only had more room....

There adorable.. I might run up there this weekend, and check them out though,,It's a road trip kind of weekend.. Maybe I might get lucky and talk my husband into one of them..

Heather