My senior cat, Sandy

carol decker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Sandy, who has been with us 16 years has been diagnosed with Kidney failure - borderline serious.  For a couple years now, I have been cleaning up urine in various parts of the house.  Every door I can close has been closed to keep her from peeing in every room of the house.  I have newspaper, litter boxes, etc.,  in various parts of the house.  Seriously, I feel like I'm being held hostage.  She is sweet, still eating, even though she has lost a considerable amt of weight.  She is not peeing well at all....only little bits at a time, but all over.  We have a grandson, who spends weekends with us and don't want him stepping in cat pee.  I am struggling with the decision whether or not to have her put down. Very difficult!  Help!

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This might sound silly, but how about diapers?

One of my cats has mobility issues and will eventually become paralysed (hind quarters only). I've been researching what to do when that terrible moment happens. A few cat parents that have walked in my shoes have resorted to putting diapers on their fur babies with a hole cut out for the tail.

Best of luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carol decker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That may be a good idea. I don't think I'd take that route.  I really believe that her quality of life is declining.  She is thin, has problems defecating.  I am leaning towards putting her down, as mean as that may sound.  I have to keep in mind that as much as I love her and as sweet as she has been, she is still an animal.  I have to think about the health concerns I have for my grandson.  Very hard decision to make, but I think better for all concerned.  Her, as well. :(