My school has lost it's mind..(rant)

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my highschool they had rules about us walking home! They didn't want us walking in large groups in case we scared the elderly population near our school so we were only allowed to walk in twos along the road! And as long as you were in school uniform they had a say and could punish you for breaking the rules - and you had to leave school in uniform you couldn't get changed at school.

I can imagine most schools would have a problem with it - and they would only know about it if it was parked on school property - as far as they are concerned it does not give out the right image for a school and I have to say i agree. Its obviously noticeable enough for someone to see it, find out who the car belongs to and complain.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

I am going to play devils advocate on this one. if the car is on school property. which by the comment of paying for a permit to park on their lot i am going to assume it was. they DO have the right to restrict the content of what is on their property. I am sure they do not allow offensive tshirts, things on books ect on school property..sooo if its on their property it is in their right.

Do I agree with it. No. I am not a prude by any means I have matching piss on ford stickers on one of my cars, LOL.

But can they if its on their property..Yup
Oh absolutely they have the legal right to control it on their property.

diane8704

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that someone saw it and was offended and complained about it? The thing is, I dont care about that kind of stuff. To each his own...but when it comes to schools, they tend to be very strict as to what they allow on their property. Yes its his truck, but at that time, it was on school property, and they can regulate it. Its wrong and I dont agree with it, but they do.

My husband attends night classes at a nearby college, and they require parking decals. Well, my husband didnt have one yet, and he has a sticker in the corner of his back window that is of the confederate flag that said historic pride, or something to that effect. A security officer was giving out tickets to cars parked without a decal, and as my husband walked up, he caught the officer scribbling on the sticker with a black permanent marker. The officer said that as a black man, he found that sticker offensive and drove off. My husband lodged a complaint with the school. Nothing was done. So, this security officer thought it was perfectly acceptable to vandalize personal property and he got away with it. The marker wore off, but the point is still there: now my husband has another sticker that says "If you think this symbol is racism, you need to look at a history book." Hes a huge civil war buff, being that his family was involved (He has ties to John Wilkes Booth) but hes not racist.

And do these people think they know what others stand for, or the things that they believe in because of stickers on their vehicles? I think some of it is just about control.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I am descriped by many as very old fashioned (i am 28) and old for my age , but I find no offese at those types of things ,,, they arent anti semetic or racist ... so whats the problem
Well, to be the devil's advocate, the naked woman (I assume its the old reclining silhouette of a woman) could be considered sexist. So it could be an issue of an "ist".

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm about as far from prudish as you can get, I have things on my truck that some might find offensive.
I think expressing your individualism via decals is just great, however, when you are on school property, what they say goes.
They can quite legally either force him to remove the stickers, or refuse him access to on grounds parking.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with a number of others; while admitting this seems silly, if you are paying for use of the schools space, they do have the right to regulate that space how they see fit. Theres probably a disclaimer on the actual permit. I think people put stickers on their car to make statements to other people, a sitcker is an announcemet....a $2 one that can be replaced easily at any time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lil_axl_gurl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An update on this issue..

His dad had called the school and asked if he could make something to temporarily cover the windows where the stickers are placed while the truck is parked on the school's property, the response was "No if he doesn't take them off the truck will be towed." OOKAY NOW WE'RE PUSHIN IT!!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lil_Axl_Gurl

His dad had called the school and asked if he could make something to temporarily cover the windows where the stickers are placed while the truck is parked on the school's property, the response was "No if he doesn't take them off the truck will be towed." OOKAY NOW WE'RE PUSHIN IT!!
Ok, that seems a bit beyond anal retentive to me.

lil_axl_gurl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really feel sorry for Ryan now. Today as I was going to school I saw his truck parked alongside the street that's by the school. So he paid a $50.00 parking pass for nothing
..I hope they gave him a refund

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Unfortunetly it is there rules. I think its Anal. but its their rules.

tigerfanfrv

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sounds like that woman down south somewhere who got fired for haveing a kerry/edwards sticker on her car. makes no sence to me. free speach stops at the school grounds i guess......... ask the principle(s) that next time you see them. (if your in the US of course)

fatkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

You really wouldn't see the car anyway and who's to say that that car sitting in the parking lot isn't a customer's? I don't really like that kind of stuff either, but Ryan does and you know he's really a great person. My point is that the school has no right telling us what to have on our vehicles. I myself don't really like stickers on my car, but I do wish this was my issue so that I could fight it strong and from the looks of things I would probably win
I'm almost tempted to fight it anyway
If you frequent a business often enough, and see the same car parked there a lot, you figure it out. I live in a pretty small town (1500 people live in the city limits, another 1500 in the outlying areas), and it's pretty easy to tell which cars belong to the employees. They are the ones in the parking lot when the store is empty of customers.

I'm not denying that Ryan is a great person, and not saying that he is, because I've never met him. But it extends way beyond school. I don't like driving through town and seeing naked woman sillouettes on cars, or obscene phrases. I really don't like my 3 year old seeing that stuff either. I don't care if people like to look at that stuff, I'd just prefer them to have it where I don't have to see it. Stuff like that is intended to "make a statement" about yourself. Whether or not the statement I come up with when i see that stuff is accurate about the person or not, I don't know. But it's nothing I'd like to be known as.

Amber

fatkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Plus how often when you go to a job interview does the employer walk out to the parking lot and ask, "What vehicle is yours?"
They watch you pull in the parking lot many times. It's good to see how someone acts when they don't know they are being watched, it tells a lot about a person.

Amber

kathylou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Excuse me, but the parking lot is school property. Teachers can't smoke on school property, so why should students need to have offensive stuff on school property? What's so mature about it anyway? It's a school. It's their job to teach you things like what's acceptable and what's not. Only a high school student would think those stickers were cool, anyway. And yeah, SURE they faculty sit around thinking of ways to make you suffer. They get really bored at night after they spend half an hour grading all your wonderful handwriting and brilliant essays.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kathylou

Excuse me, but the parking lot is school property. Teachers can't smoke on school property, so why should students need to have offensive stuff on school property? What's so mature about it anyway? It's a school. It's their job to teach you things like what's acceptable and what's not.
I have to agree with that part.

lil_axl_gurl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Excuse me, but the parking lot is school property. Teachers can't smoke on school property, so why should students need to have offensive stuff on school property? What's so mature about it anyway? It's a school. It's their job to teach you things like what's acceptable and what's not. Only a high school student would think those stickers were cool, anyway. And yeah, SURE they faculty sit around thinking of ways to make you suffer. They get really bored at night after they spend half an hour grading all your wonderful handwriting and brilliant essays.
Smoking and stickers are 2 completely different things. Smoking can kill you, stickers can't.

me-n-my guys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I find a few points of disagreement with this. I do agree that it is school property, but I also agree they are being overly ANAL about it.
I don't believe that it's always someone else's place to teach what is acceptable & what's not. Meaning only that you can't teach someone what their identity is. You can't teach them who they are, that just happens. And stickers, in the whole grand sceme of things, probably don't mean diddly-squat to anyone except those politically correct "Sheeple' who want everyone to be the same, act the same, think the same, etc. Gads, how BORING can you get? Do I want to live in a world like that? No. And if I had a kid, I wouldn't wish that on them, either. We could sit in traffic every day & see countles stupid stickers that may be offensive & still mean nothing. Some of us just move on. Big deal.
Age versus maturity is irrelevant.
Question authority.

Can you get a picture of this sticker?

me-n-my guys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Ever see a sticker of a swastika?
What on Earth does a swastika have to do with this debate? I don't get any type of hate message from these young people at all.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Me-n-my guys

Can you get a picture of this sticker?
Well......not to push the 'anal' envelope, but please do not post photos of either of the described stickers here. They are not considered appropriate for this site.