my resume needs to be purrfect. need advise, pls!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lemur 6

Not including a cover letter is bad practice IMHO. It makes you look lazy. Cover letter is also a great place to reveal a more personal side to yourself, say things you can say on a resume.
When I worked as a full time recruiter at a corporate office where we were recruiting and filling positions nationally and worldwide we preferred not to receive cover letters. Rarely did we even give them a glance; we were too busy to read each and every cover letter. The resume was what mattered. Then after the resumes, the interviews made our biggest impression. The resume was what got our attention to pursue the applicant further for the position. Most of our resumes were submitted online, although we did get them in other ways occasionally. Unless the position was an upper level position (6 figures) cover letters were annoying and never given any time.

However, not all companies, corporate or not, are alike; there is a lot of subjectivity in the recruiting business, and in all business in their hiring practices.

If you submit a cover letter, and they don't require one (they will usually hint if they do or not in the job posting, but this is not always listed), the worst they will do it toss it aside, no big deal. But if you don't submit a cover letter and they do require one, that makes a poor impression from the start. To be on the safe side I would write a professional cover letter, just to be safe unless you know without a doubt they don't bother with them.

Your resume looks better, good luck with the position!

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catgirl2548m

yeah, i think ur right. ill take the 's' off and i think ill change 'to become' to 'as". that work?
Ok, this is getting funny.... I've brought DH into this. For some reason the sentence was sticking with me, so I IM'd him (he's my proofreader
) ... here's the verdict:

Me: does this sentence sound right? "objective: successfully apply my outstanding communication skills as a professional telemarketing sales representative."
DH: should be: "objective: to successfully apply my outstanding communication skills as a professional telemarketing sales representative."
Me: you really think we need the 'to'? its an objective statement on a resume
DH: Yes
Me: k
DH: because without it, it's not even a sentence.
Me: well a lot of things on resumes arent sentences
DH: Yes, but stating an objective calls for a sentence.
DH: listing skills and past employment doesn't.

So there's the verdict and I'm sticking to it.
It should say "To successfully apply my outstanding communication skills as a professional telemarketing sales representative."

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

DH: because without it, it's not even a sentence.
Me: well a lot of things on resumes arent sentences
DH: Yes, but stating an objective calls for a sentence.
DH: listing skills and past employment doesn't.
Resumes don't have to have sentences or periods.

But you need to be consistent in your format.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Resumes don't have to have sentences or periods.

But you need to be consistent in your format.
I don't know.. this is all greek to me because I don't even put objectives on my resumes.

And you're right, I don't think they need sentences... but I also have to agree with DH that in this case the objective seems to sound better as a sentence.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about this as the objective line?

Objective: Successfully apply my communication skills as a professional telemarketing sales representative for your company

~or~
Objective: Successfully apply my communication skills as a professional telemarketing sales representative at XYZ Company

Anyone?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

What about this as the objective line?

Objective: Successfully apply my communication skills as a professional telemarketing sales representative for your company

~or~
Objective: Successfully apply my communication skills as a professional telemarketing sales representative at XYZ Company

Anyone?
I like the second

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd agree, the second one.

Also, and this has nothing to do with the resume... make sure when you interview, get a business card or contact information (including, especially, an email address) for each party that you interview with. After the interview, within 24 hours, come home and then email them a thank you letter, and don't use a duplicate.. make each a little personal so that if they compare the note it's very obviously not written as a standard form.

I've gotten several jobs just because that gave me an edge.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

I'd agree, the second one.

Also, and this has nothing to do with the resume... make sure when you interview, get a business card or contact information (including, especially, an email address) for each party that you interview with. After the interview, within 24 hours, come home and then email them a thank you letter, and don't use a duplicate.. make each a little personal so that if they compare the note it's very obviously not written as a standard form.

I've gotten several jobs just because that gave me an edge.
Thats great advice