My resident cat is not as affectionate towards me since I got the second cat

firsttimecatmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I am a first time cat owner and I don't understand why my resident cat, Mindy, has been acting differently. I adopted her one month ago from a no kill shelter and she was four months old at the time. She had a sister, but I couldn't adopt them both at the time. In the one month I had her, we bonded and she would follow me everywhere, sleep next to me at night, and come for cuddles in the morning. She never was a lap kitty, but still had a way of showing me that she loved me. I work about 8-9 hours away from home and I would feel guilty leaving her alone all that time. I could also tell that she was getting lonely and really missed her sister. So, one month later, I adopted Comet who is four months old. He has the same energy as she does and they became instant playmates on day one. By evening, they were both cuddling and she would groom him. He became her first love and I can tell that she is really happy, but now the roles have switched! He's the one who follows me around, watches me, sleeps with me (and bonus: is a lap kitty), but she tends to keep her distance. She only greets me when I walk through the door from work, she'll occasionally blow me eye kisses, and doesn't mind if I pet her, but she doesn't come for morning cuddles anymore. He is her main focus and her eyes are always fixated on him and all she cares about is what he's doing. It's funny because even though he likes her and enjoys the company, he does tend to do his own thing (e.g. play alone) or come to me. However, when I leave for work, they are cuddled and spend the whole day napping together.

What I don't understand is why she can't follow the lead and come to me, too, like Comet. I make a point to reach out to both of them equally and show them love. I try to pick her up and put her on the bed so she knows she's welcome, but the moment I turn my back to get Comet, she's jumped off. I feel hurt and abandoned because she is my first cat and animal that I've ever had and it's difficult because I know how she used to be and what she is not now. I find myself crying and wondering whether or not I did the right thing.

I should mention that I've only had Comet for a week. Maybe it's premature to worry and she'll warm up to her new environment and eventually come to me? I read somewhere else on here that bonding can take up to months! The thought of that breaks my heart and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to ease the abandonment or help her re-bond with me.....that's if she ever will!!! My biggest fear was that Mindy would stop loving me and I hate to admit or think that this would be the case. All the advice I kept getting at the time was to get two kitties and now that I did, I'm happy that she has a playmate, but I feel left out.

Please let me know your thoughts and advice if you've ever experienced this! I would really appreciate it.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you are worrying too much needlessly. Each cat is different and has a different behavior. Also, one week is not enough time to determine how a cat will behave around you. Sugar and Spice are litter-mates, were fostered together, and have been together in my(?) house for over two years. Sugar is more outgoing, has the energy of a child on a sugar and caffeine diet and can't leave anything alone. Spice is more snuggly, more talkative, and more likely to follow me around.

Let your two be themselves, play with them together, and don't try to force them to change. It may take a while, but I am sure Mindy will go back to being her cuddly self.

Welcome to TCS. I invite you to introduce yourself and your kitties in New Cats on the Block. Be sure to include some pictures of the kitties.

Check out some of the pictures of my ladies in my profile. They were brought into the clowder at different times, yet all love to snuggle with me and each other.

maiaelizabeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got my kittens four months apart and at first they didn't get along and even fought but eventually they liked each other. Maia was very warm and lovable when she was a kitten. she would sleep with us in our bed and I was scared of squeezing her. as she grew older she stopped doing that but one thing didn't change. she's always come to me when im laying down or in the toilet and she starts suckling on my shirt or blanket and in my mind is like if she thought I was her mom and was feeding from me. is so cute. Foley is very clingy. he wakes me up very early so I can pet him, if I dont wake up with his yowlings he jumps on top of me and he's 13 pounds! or he tickles my ears. anyways they have completely different personalities but they always follow me when I take a shower or use the bathroom.

lokimonster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know exactly how you feel, I've also felt that "was this really the best decision" feeling when I got my second kitty and my first one started backing off from me. A few months later though, they're both normal and affectionate with me and each other.

It just takes time. It's hard to be patient when you're so used to them being affectionate, but it will just take time for her to get used to having another cat around. Just keep treating both of them like you normally would, give them a lot of love and attention and they'll come around.

It also is an age thing sometimes too. Mindy might be getting more independent as she gets older, and that happens regardless of if there's another cat in the house or not

Here's a thread I made a while ago that's a little similar to what you're experiencing. It might be worth looking at the replies to see if they help at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

firsttimecatmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, lokimonster. Sounds like your experience is similar to mine. It's very difficult to endure though.....Mindy is my first cat/pet ever. We snuggled every night! She did have an independent streak, and I know that she sometimes liked to do things on her own, but she liked coming to me. It's just so difficult to go from a pet you love and bonded with to one that would care less. I am more used to dogs and they would never treat you this way!! I should mention though that she purred this weekend when I pet her. But, I had to really go out of my way to bond with her....and, I wonder if it's all in vain considering that she doesn't come to me. Sigh.

Thanks for sharing your thread. It offers some consolidation. I'm glad I'm not alone, but I don't' know how to cope. I"m really struggling :(