My queen gave birth to 3 white kittens with red eyes.

Diana bailey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I could not believe it when I looked over the basket and found my queen named Camille with her 3 perfectly white kittens and 2 black kittens.
The white kittens are exceptional. The biggest thing I could not believe at seeing the hours old cuties is the open eyes.
All three of them have their eyes open hours old.
Within a couple weeks the color is starting to show better and all of them have red eyes.
So my questions are:
1.) Are the kittens ok? Should I be concerned about the red eyes?
2.) Are they deaf?
3.) Are they sterile?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don't think they have any birth defects or anything like that.

Sometimes, white kittens have pink eyes when they are born. It depends on whether they are albino, leucistic or just plain white.

"Albino" means that kittens are born without any pigmentation, at all. Their eyes will be pink, their paws and noses will be light colored or pink and they will have no coloration, whatsoever. "Leucistic" means that their cells produce some melanin (the substance that gives skin, eyes and fur their color) but they don't produce enough. A plain white kitten produces melanin but their fur is still white.

You won't know for sure until the kittens start growing and their eyes fully develop. It takes up to eight weeks for the color of their eyes to "grow in" so to speak.

If, by that time, their eyes are still pink, they are probably albino. If their eyes turn yellow or green, they are probably normal white.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What do you mean, by their colors starting to show better?? Ie some color on head and tails? Is so, they are points "siamese-mixes"

If not, I presume their dad is all white. (I presume momma isnt all white, prob black?

Red eyed cats arent that common, but yeah, albino are red eyed. Points are usually blue eyed...

What is somewhat unusual is these very early open eyes - on all three of them... and thus, it must be something genetic.