My Queen becoming aggressive with father cat

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 So. any ideas how to postpone their mating to make sure Rita is healthy enough.

Looking forward to your helpful ideas.
What did you before??

Some cats dont mate with their roomies. Which is common enough with breeders who do have both queens and stud being friends and  living all toghether in their flat.  In these cases, when they shall mate, they are locked in a "mating room".

Locked in there, they understand something is going on, and soon they discover what is supposed to happen.   :)

If Tom and Rita are such ones, the problem will perhaps solve itself.

But if Tom IS eager (he was howling after her, so he perhas IS eager!?), so separation is prob the only.

In Europe you can use the Pill, both on the female and male, to buy some time.  But the pill isnt not 100% safe quarantee, the stud can mate anyway if he really wants...

Nay, I think you must keep them separated, and if together only during close supervision.

Ps. Does he spray?  Spraying toms do have sometimes a sort of trousers on, when allowed into the living rooms.  I suppose such a stud-trousers could also be used as anti-mating device.  :)

curiosityscat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
StefanZ - Thanks StefanZ, and Thank you for posting that info clarification.Just fyi, in NO WAY was I recommending cow milk. Cow milk is BAD! BAD!! Cow milk can cause intestinal issues for cats, because they can't digest it properly, and it is worse for kittens. Regardless of the cute pics and movies where people give cow milk to cats in wee little cute bowls --DON'T DO IT! Just to be clear: COW MILK IS NOT GOOD FOR CATS!!! Even knowing that have I personally given a cat a little cow milk, guilty, and I admit the mistake. But it was only about a tablespoon at a time, and only rarely. Still, according ro my Vet, DO NOT feed cow milk!I have heard about goat milk as a substitute kitten formula, but (Personally, this is just me), I do not particularly trust canned goats milk. But, I don't even buy for my own human consumption canned coconut milk for cooking. I only cook with carton coconut milk, just my own preference. What I meant regarding formula/mother cat milk substitutes (IN CASE OF AN UNEXPECTED BIRTH OR FINDING AN ABANDONED KITTEN --like in your yard) and about buying what you need, was to use the KMR powder (many local grocery stores, and even Wal-Mart or Feed & Seed Stores) carry a few containers for local emergencies (they don't tend to stock much, but it works in a pinch), and locally here (though I can't recall the brand name) they did offer little tiny pint cartons of pre-mixed liquid kitten formula milk safe for kittens and even adult cats for occasional treat use) at like Pet's Mart and another Pet Store. My preference is DEFINITELY the KMR dry formula. As for the bottles, I've only seen them sold separately from any formula. Hence my comment about best to buy the bottle kit that comes with the cleaning brushes rather than the 2-pak with rubber nipples only (as it leaves you stranded when it comes time to clean the bottles, and that can turn into a big huge pain) for you, especially if it is your 1st time bottle feeding (and it happens that you end up with a kitten needing bottle feeding unexpectedly). Obviously if you have time to plan it all out, you know your cat is pregnant, then of COURSE, take your time, research the cat milk formula brands and options locally and available via online retailers. I should have used the word "cat" previously, but as we were discussing a pregnant cat, I made an assumption readers would know I meant cat milk formula, my bad. I started to type out my list of Do's and Do's when it comes to feeding new born kittens (in an Emergency -- if a kitten is abandoned or rejected by mom cat), but I've not finished. Once done, I'll put it out there in Cyberspace/Forums (as always, just my personal opinions and experience).** Separating cats to keep them from mating, is as easy as a door, and only allowing supervised interaction. However, I recommend the door method (just separate rooms), because it is a pain to keep cats apart when they are trying to mate. Also, I am a FIRM believer (personally) in spaying/neutering, as there are too many cats and dogs alive when compared to the available good homes and people that will provide the proper level of care, medical attention, food, love, etc for the cat/dog population (even just the cats/dogs that exist/are alive at this moment today! That is not even counting the ones that will be born tomorrow or even tonight)..I'll stop there, because I try not to preach, only to help. *winks* I just put that out there as a thought to consider when bringing new litters into the world (I mean who wants to think their cat's kittens will end up homeless, hungry, or abused..*shrugs*..but it happens more often than people consider). *zipping lips*..and I do NOT mean to or intend to offend anyone for their own choices. I respect everyone's right to make their own choices (under the no right to make that decision for anyone until they walk a mile in that person's shoes/life, better yet, walk/live a few years in it *winks*).. Stopping now as I'm babbling! *laughs* Best of Luck, and Much Love to you and yours!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't make her go through this again. Have you sent the little ones bodies in for autopsy to see why they didn't make it? Have you done any testing on the male and female?

Breeding cats is not just sticking 2 cats together and having cute kittens.

Do not count on them not mating if living together, that is not wise advice at all. If you don't want to keep them apart them get them both fixed asap and they can go on happily living together.

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
FYI,  my local Super Walmart carries fresh goat milk in the carton, I even use it to make ice cream for myself due to cow milk allergy.

I think it might benefit you to think about whether this is your preference or just something someone else is pushing you into.  If something goes wrong, who is going to be the one to bottle feed the kittens every 2 hours?  Who will clean up after them and find them homes?  IMO all kids want kittens, but we also have to show our kids how to set limits and care properly for domesticated animals by preventing overpopulation. 

If you are really set on wanting the experience, why not foster a pregnant mom through your local shelter or animal control?

Last edited: