my pregnant kitty

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittycatlovemew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is stong, and like before; we a: can't afford it and b: she could infertile or c: she can be pregnet and we don't want to abbort also d: all the clinic's are not good ones. If humans never steped in this "over breeding" thing would have never happened. Some people have there cats in such trashy invirments that they would rather be dead then live there. Some cats are happier outside then being trapped in a house they do not want to be in. But some cats do like being inside. I think a cat can experience one litter then be spayed. The kittens can be spayed/ neutered also. It can be costly unless you can give your cat chicken or have her or him accsesed to outside meals.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't understand. If you cannot afford to spay her, how can you afford to raise kittens with all the extra food and litter? What if your cat has complications during pregnancy or birth and needs vet care? What if she needs an emergency c-section? The kittens will also need vet care.

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think I follow... so you can't afford to spay her, but you can afford to take care of a group of her kittens? That makes no sense.

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No one follows, because your not making sense. You want her to have a litter before you spay her, right? If that's the case just say so. Unfortunately, you won't get alot of support in your decision because you are only adding to the problem. You don't have money to pay for one spay but in 6 months, you will have enough money to spay perhaps 4 females and 3 males? Not to mention the food, litter and possible medical care that might arise.

You should do a search on this site, type in  "Tigger's mastitis". It is a foster I had early in the year. A first time mom who gave birth to seven kittens. Seven. She developed mastitis and 3 of her kittens died. The other four, I hand raised on expensive formula and if it weren't for major intervention they would all have died. In the end. The cost was over $1000.00. That's not including any spay/neuters. This mama had a gaping hole in her stomach where her milk gland ulcered and she almost died a couple of times.

I know it's a romantic notion to watch the birth and experience kittens but complication happen...alot. Please think this through.

shunra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree.  If you are finding it hard to afford spaying her you really cannot afford a litter of kittens.

Infertility in cats is very rare, and even an infertile unspayed female is at risk of pyometra (infection in the uterus, often fatal) and breast cancer.  The longer she is unspayed the greater the risks.

Being strong doesn't guarantee she won't have problems delivering kittens.  A c-section is often needed in the middle of the night and will be $$$$.

And where on earth is 'katdog'?  Changing it for the country you actually live in would be most helpful to us, and therefore to you.

kittycatlovemew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Katdog and the area I live in is my privacy. I am sorry. We have food for her anc kittens, plus it id organic. Iive in the us, but the area we live in doesn't hsve experience spay or neutering vets. The only other placr is way way to expencive and we are doing other yhingd so we can't pull up the money now. I bet that I am making no sense, sorry for that to. I just don't want to break out sn argument. I hate when that happens.

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going through 2 cans of cat food a day plus some dry kitten food for our mama cat right now, it really does get pricey, I can just imagine the cost of vets for all 7 of them in eight weeks! and then if anybody has any health issues, (with 7 cats altogether, it is very likely, even if it's something easily treatable) A simple trip to the vet and antibiotics for one cat would cost me $75. You HAVE to start saving up money for those very possible health issues, it is unlikely that neither the mom or kittens will not need any trips to the vets in the 4 months of pregnancy and newborn kittens. And if you can manage to save that much needed money to set aside, you probably can save up enough to get her spayed. Just really think about it! I know it seems so exciting to have kittens, I totally get that, but it doesn't always end well, and it's all very stressful!

I think if you are out right plannig a pregnancy for your cat, you have to be 100%ready for anything and have a lot of "just in case" money set aside, it's just the responsible thing you can do, aside from actually getting them fixed.
I'm pretty sure I remember you saying you think it's irresponsible to not get a cat spayed (or something to that affect) in fact, I think you even may have told me I should have gotten my cat spayed before you knew I rescued my cat pregnant!) it's just confusing to us to see you completely say the opposite now.

I have to ask, do you live with your parents? If so, Are you the owner and financially responsible for the cat or are your parents? I get it if you are a kid and there isn't much you can do.. But if not, then yes I am not sure what else to say.

kittycatlovemew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't do much. I am completely prepared and I am saving up money. I nagged my mom constantly to get hrr spayed. Did she listen? No. I really can't do a thing. I am the only one concerned about are animald health. I really am sorry I can't do it for her. I will tell my mom to get her spayed right away if she does have kittens. Like I said, our money is a little tight.... but I will try my hardest to help her in any way. I feel really bad that I can't do any thing. :( :( :( ;(

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does your mom understand that caring for a litter of kittens costs more than spaying the cat?

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raising kittens right would surely cost more than spaying the mama  even if all goes well.    Doing it right means keeping them at least 10 weeks so they get the best start in life;   spending at least that much time with their mom and littermates helps with physical, mental and social development and makes for a better socialized cat who is less likely to have behavior problems. 

The costs in food and litter for a pregnant and nursing cat  and then a litter of kittens,  really add up especially if you are feeding high quality meat -based food.   ( If you are making your own food,  it is vital that it is a balanced diet with the right amounts of muscle meat, liver, other organs and bone,  and it may be safest to add some supplements.    There is a vet's site catinfo.org  that has a recipe and advice about making cat food.  and the nutrition section on this forum has a special area for discussing homemade diets.) 

It also means getting them examined by a vet and vaccinated and de-wormed  before they go to new homes.  Then it really adds up if you consider also the cost of spaying / neutering the kittens so that you are not responsible for probably adding even more and more to the cat population if those kittens go on to have more kittens.

There might be low-cost spay / neuter options that you aren't aware of .   There is a hotline you can call to help you try to find a clinic.  

"Call us toll-free at 1-800-248-SPAY (1-800-248-7729).
Our phone counselors are available Monday – Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. EST and Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. EST."

http://spayusa.org/  

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
   We don't need to know your identity or exact location but it does sometimes help to know at least a general location.    Knowing you were in the U.S.  helped with giving you that info about Spay USA,   which of course would not have been useful if you were in Australia or Egypt! 

If Kitty IS pregnant again now  keep her inside until she can be spayed when they are 8 or 9 weeks old   .    Cats can get pregnant again even when nursing young kittens , but it is not good for them or the kittens for them to get pregnant again so fast.      In fact keep her in starting now, and in case she is not pregnant you can get her spayed earlier.     When finances are very tight already is not a good time to decide you want your cat to have kittens.    Usually cats do give birth and raise kittens without much trouble.  but nothing is guaranteed.     I hear that you care about your Kitty and I just don't want you to have to be in a situation where IF something goes wrong you can't get vet care that is needed to save her or the kittens.   

jazzysmumma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow I cannot believe the 'story' I have just read...to be blunt u are being selfish and thinking of yourselves this is a cats life u r playing with...if ur cat did absorb her kittens why on earth would u let her out so soon? It's cruel..u also commented and said u were worried cos she's so young but now u r trying to get the poor thing pregnant!!

My cat that I bought 12 weeks ago tomorrow was sold to me pregnant she now has 7 healthy beautiful kittens in that 12 weeks she's had 4 vet visits an one last Friday with her babies...her special dried food has cost me 20 pound and their worming treatments nearly 60 pound her pouches cost 10 pound a week all within 3 weeks of her giving birth I am not complaining about costs just of how much things are in the real world seriously get her spayed and if she is like 2 day pregnant it not like ur aborting fully grown kittens!

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The only people who should be breeding cats, or willfully allowing their cat to become pregnant, are registered, experienced breeders who are continuing a line or bettering a particular breed by mixing the superior genetics of two cats with proper papers.

Allowing your cat to become pregnant because kittens are cute is highly irresponsible. What makes you think you will find them all proper homes when every shelter in the US is full of kittens? Believe me, those kittens are plenty cute, too. Thousands upon thousands of cats and kittens are euthanized horribly in gas chambers in shelters every year. And it is because irresponsible people allow unfixed cats to wander freely and then have no money to care for the kittens. It is A LOT harder to find homes for kittens than you would imagine, mainly because if someone wants a cat, they can easily find one to adopt.

Do the rescue community a favor and please keep your cat indoors until you find a low cost spay and neuter clinic. Just about every area in the US has them now and you can get her spayed for under $100. That is a lot cheaper than the cost of all the check ups and shots and food a healthy litter of kittens will require. If you really want to see kittens born, go to the shelter and volunteer.

kittycatlovemew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I still am asking her! That was really un called for jazzysmum! I am doing no cruelty and I am trying my hardest! How do you think I fell on being helpless to this problem?! I think I am going to stop even trying to tell you guys the real problem. You ddon't understand! You think I am doing nothing?! I never wanted an argument but I guess I can't even be promised that! I underdtand breeding her is ment for others, and I don't want to abandon her! I am trying do hard, anf I am already overwelmed by other things! Ys know, maybe you won't hear from me for a while. Whoever else took this, it Iss time to STOP TAKING IT! I bet you all have tried! I would never make up excuse for this! Why are you doing this to me?! I never killed a cat nor another creature! I have been trying FOR EVER TO HELP! BUT WHAT DO I GET? I GET TO BR YELLED AT FOT TRYING! I AM SOOOOOO MAD! AAARRRRGGGG!!!!! :( :( ROAR!

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think people just get confused because one moment you are telling us you want to spay her as well as telling us to make sure we spay our cats and their babies(like we need to be told that- we know this, most of us have adopted pregnant cats) . And then the next thing we hear is tht you want her to have babies . You can't deny that you have said both, so as you can imagine we would be confused by how you say one thing and then completely contradict yourself in another post or thread. I mean you have to see that? Right??

If you are a kid and can't do anything about it, then ok we get it, just be clear and say so.. In fact that would make much more sense to us all.

Last edited:

jazzysmumma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not being unfair, if u read the past 5 pages you would be confused and as dumbfounded as I am!

Status
Not open for further replies.