My Poor Sister...

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just have to tell this to someone because I can't post it on facebook or anything yet... 

My sister lives just over 12 hours away with her two daughters (aged 17 and 15). They left today to come home to celebrate Christmas with our family. 

My mom answered the phone about an hour ago, it was my sister asking to speak to my dad. Apparently, she was a hotel and had forgotten her purse at a McDonald's they had stopped at 3-4 hours before! She called to ask if he could give them his credit card number so that they could get a room for the night. He agreed and started talking to the person that was going to book the room. They told him he had to fax his credit card to them so they could verify it - my parents don't have a fax machine, it was past 10pm so nothing was open, and he didn't want to fax his credit card because then god knows what could happen. So they wouldn't let her stay there. 

She told my dad that she was going to see if she could find another hotel that would let them do the credit card over the phone, or else just push through and drive all night. Driving through is not really a good idea because it's freezing rain where they are, dark, and is known to have a lot of black ice on the highway. She gets the idea to go to the police station and see if they can help her out at all. Well, she starts driving and can't find a police station, but she finds a customs place, so she stops there. While she's trying to explain what happened, she started crying. The customs agent goes to the bathroom and brings her out a roll of toilet paper and hands it to her so she can dry her face off. He also gets a cop to come so that she can get some help. She explained everything to the police and they tell her that they have a place that they can let people stay and take her over there, once she gets there, she has to sign papers saying that she's homeless. She was telling the cop about the toilet paper incident and he reached into his pocket and gave her $5, so "they could get something to drink".

Meanwhile, my parents found the phone number for the McDonald's that they stopped at and text the number to her. She calls them and, thankfully, her purse is still there and had been put in the safe. She calls a friend of hers that's husband works for Purolator and arranges for her purse to be picked up and shipped to her mom's house COD. So she will get that back in a few days. 

Between her and my nieces, they have $200 - enough to get back here, and if they happen to run out it's enough to get them close enough that my dad could drive to where they are and fill her car up with gas. Thankfully, my niece also just passed the second part of her driving test, so she doesn't need a licensed driver in the car with her, so my sister doesn't have to drive illegally since she doesn't have her license on her. The cop also gave her his card with his personal cell phone number on it incase she was driving and was pulled over for any reason. 

After I found out they were fine and that they were going to get here alright, I burst out laughing. This is definitely going to be a story that they'll tell for a long time to come and maybe now my sister will be more careful with her purse (she never really keeps an eye on it and is pretty absentminded). 

It also goes to show you that there are still nice people in the world and that there are people that are willing to help others out when they have no where to turn. 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
What an experience - it's lucky her purse isn't gone for good. It's a great Christmas story, though. :cross: that the rest of their trip is uneventful and everybody has a great holiday!

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh my GOODNESS!! That is some experience, just to get home for Christmas!! I'm sure by the time she arrives, she's going to need to just nap for a day just to recover! 

I'm glad it turned out ok though, you hear so many terrible stories it's good to hear a happy ending!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I"m so glad she will get her purse and all its contents back! There are some really wonderful people in this world. I'm glad that it all will turn out OK.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to read the happy ending! I'm SO glad she got her purse back, thank goodness for the honest people involved.

I would NEVER fax my credit card or scan and email it to anyone, particularly a stranger. If someone has that and the three-digit number on the back they have "the keys to the kingdom." A number over the phone should have worked fine, after all that's how hotels make and hold reservations (and pay themselves if you don't show up or damage the room). 

My sister Linda used to shop at Whole Foods, and one day she found a purse left in the bathroom. She looked through it and there was over $900 in it - somebody's paycheck no doubt! She knew it must have been just very recently left behind, this was in Houston after all. Linda started taking it to the customer service desk and saw there was a high school kid at the desk (nothing against young people in particular, but with that kind of temptation in the purse, she was hoping for a manager or someone with more accountability).

She decided to sit and wait for the woman to come back for her purse, and sure enough about half an hour later a worried woman ran into the bathroom and out again. Linda stopped her and asked if she had lost her purse, answer was yes and the woman described it. Linda gave the purse to the woman who proceeded to gripe at her, never gave a thank-you, nothing. Linda said the woman was upset so it's understandable but I wish she'd at least said something nice since Linda gave up her time to make sure the woman got her money back!

Last edited:

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear there are some honest people in the world --- hopefully moe honest people than dishonest people.  Yes, now that it's over this will be a story that will be told over and over again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well she doesn't have her purse back yet, but she has made it to my parents and her mom's house. I talked to her while she was at my parents house and I was on break at work (we have the same father, different mothers). 

The Purolator person that was supposed to pick it up went there and refused to take it because there were credit cards and cash in it. I guess they called her and asked her, I asked her why she said that stuff was in there, lol. Anyways, her friend's husband is working on it to see if he can pull some strings and get them to send it anyways, but if not she'll be without anything until they go back and she can pick it up.