My poor old neighbor kitty - advise needed

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a old neighbor across the street from me. He's got dementia now and his daughter has moved in with him. He has a kitty who just turned 20! The daughter moved in with her little dog. Since she came, the 20 year old kitty has been getting put outside all night. It's really sad. Doesn't matter what the weather is. Like last night it rained. Then the cat just sits there and stares at the door. No one comes.

The first few times I went over and knocked on the door. I thought for sure it was a huge mistake that the cat was out. After two months now, I know it's not. The daughter has told me she hates the cat. She has started locking her in the basement so the dog (a tiny one) doesn't get upset. So, this poor old kitty is either locked out at night or put in a basement. I can't stand seeing her out there like that, knowing this is not something that was ever done before.

I have talked to this girl a few times. She insist "she doesn't know how the cat is getting out'. What? Oh, I know. I just think it's so awful that after 20 years of living in that house she is all of the sudden stuck outside. Aside from speaking to the person doing this, I don't know what else to do. She is out there now, and it is raining here. I feel so bad for her. Any advise?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor kitty! But we see it all the time at the shelter; the kids won't take care of the cats that have been their parent's loves for years.

The only suggestion I could make would be to bring the poor old cat inside and make her short remaining time a little better.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I probably would bring the cat in from the rain. That is terrible especially with a cat that is that old. I have the same concerns about my own cats now that I am 55. My children wouldn't pamper them the way I do and cats don't adjust to change very well. I got my cats as kittens and they are eight now. That will probably be the last time I get kittens. I hope they live to a ripe old age and then if I get another cat I will probably look into a senior pets for seniors program. I would probably go so far as to get one from a local rescue that will always take a cat adopted from them back and make sure my children are aware of that.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would do my best to take that cat myself. It's owner obviously wouldn't want him treated this way.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please find a way to rescue that poor old girl. I can't imagine the owner's daughter would mind at all, but I'd ask her just to be 'neighborly'. If she says 'no' I'd do it anyway
; let her assume the cat ran off.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd just go get it honestly. We adopted an 18 year old cat whose people were tired of taking care of it....it's been one of the most rewarding rescues we did. The old guy deserves better.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could just offer the kitty a place to sleep when she's kicked out. Sort of a second home, you know. Give her some love and kindness. I bet she would appreciate it.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The local group that does rescues (Cat Matchers) has one lady that takes in elderly cats, such as our foster Tiger. She says that she feels bad about taking in these "used up" cats. Bad for the cats, not for herself. She says they are some of the nicest cats she has ever met (and Tiger certainly was).

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others, if at all possible bring the cat into your home. This is so sad, some people are really heartless.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so sad ♥poor cat. Are you able to rehome it with you? If you are go have a talk with the daughter.Just say you know how hard it must be for her to have to take care of her dad and her own dog.And that you would gladly take the kitty. Soon it will be cold fall nights and freezing winter time.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Locked up in the basement by day and out at night?
Poor kitty!

I agree - talk to the daughter and tell her you'll take the kitty (if you can). Kitty deserves better, and I'm sure her daddy wouldn't want her to suffer like this.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You do need also to consider the old man who owns and probably still loves her. It is amazing how a knowledge and love of pets can survive in the mind of people with severe dementia. My father always loved cats and used to ask after his cat long after he could not recognise family members. Even just before he was finally taken into a care home one of his greatest pleasures was to sit with the cat on his lap or the arm of his chair and he would 'talk' to her when he could not talk to my mother. So if the owner is still relating at all to the cat, while you need to see to her needs at night especially, do not deprive him of her company during the day. Of course, the daughter in her ignorance and selfishness, may already be doing that and he may be unable to say anything. It is a difficult situation.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's already deprived of access to his kitty because the daughter locks it in the basement.

But this is a good point, Jenny. Maybe Ligwa could bring the neighbor over for visits with his kitty.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is how my Gracie ended up with me.... My neighbor developed Alzheimer and forgot she was her cat - somehow she only forgot Gracie was her cat, not her other cat, who is the sweeter of the two. She left Gracie outside to die without her meds. The husband, even lied to me saying she no longer needed her thyroid medicine - which duh - I know better, these you need for life

When I asked him to transfer Gracie to me, he said "she doesn't need to be fine, she can just go to the bridge"

You can imagine how much I like that guy (NOT). He doesn't really live here, and doesn't care about the wife either... It is really sad....
Gracie is doing great - she is 13, and aside from the fact that she HATES the other kitties and has to be separated (she sometimes jumps the bookcase and comes to the living room - fisty little thing she is
), she is just a joy to have around and I love her to death. She has turned a full 180 and is SO loving with me now.... Is chatty, playful, as healthy as she can be.... Rescuing her was the best thing I have done, and I will never regret it.
If you can give this sweet kitty a home, by all means, do it - it is highly rewarding

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please talk to the daughter to se if she can give you the kitty. Soon the cat is going to get sick and who is going to care for her? She is too old to be left outside. My heart just breaks for that kitty