My poor kitty Pumpkin won't come in the house any more!!!

momto2kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to do about this.  I am so sad and frustrated about this situation.  Let me start by saying that his litter mate and best bud, Jasper, died a couple of weeks ago and I sense that this has been very hard on him.  They were together A LOT so I know he misses him.  I swear I see Pumpkin looking and listening for Jasper and it breaks my heart.  It's very hard to watch really.  He probably doesn't know what happened because Jasper was fine one day and then dead the next.  How freaky is that?  Then, I couldn't bear to see Jasper dead.  Heck, I was basically hysterically crying and asked my very kind neighbor to bury him for me, while I and my 2 sons stood and watched.  What could Pumpkin have thought as he was nowhere around?  

Anyway, we have 2 dogs which we got after the kitties who have always been indoor/outdoor cats.  Since I got the second dog in the last 6 months though the two boy kitties were coming in the house less and less.  Mango, my female cat has always been a home body as she is very attached to me and manages to avoid the dogs as best she can.  Now, I am so worried about my Pumpkin as I don't know how Jasper died and I want him IN THE HOUSE for safety reasons.  I know you all can understand.  I wish I had never let any of them outside EVER.  My son and I have set up a part of our house as a sort of kitty haven with 2 kitty climbing structures, we also installed a couple of kitty shelves on the wall for them to lie on up high and off the ground and have put stuff in the way of the dogs so they cannot reach that area.  Their is a litter box, kitty food and water in this area.  I want the cats to feel safe in there.  They can climb the kitty trees, get up high, heck the shelves lead up to the top of a china chest with cushy pillows on top and there is even a shelf in front of a nice window so they can look outside.  

I brought Pumpkin in the house the other day and showed him this kitty room and the food, but he darted off under the couch and spent, I swear, 8 hours there.  I tried everything to get him out, his favorite treats, chicken, lots of sweet talk, coaxing, locking the dogs up in my room for hours but nothing worked.  Finally we let him back outside because the poor guy had to pee and eat.  Mind you, he used to like to spend time in the house, used to love to cuddle with me and with my sons.  He even tolerated the dogs to some extent.  

Please help me!!!!  I am so afraid for my baby!!!  Not sure I could handle losing another kitty.  

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss of Jasper.

Chances are that you're right in thinking Pumpkin's grieving and a bit distraught that his friend's not there. If you can catch him and want to keep him in the house long term or permanently, I would bring him into the room you have set-up for the cats, and close him in there away from everyone and the dogs.  Go in once in awhile and talk to him, but don't try to coax him out. He's going to be stressed and the fewer people, animals and noise around him, the better. It might take a few days, most cats don't adapt quickly to change, but he should start to calm down and remember that he likes it in your house.

We have a few members with more experience along these lines than I do - I'm sure some of them will be along soon with more advice.

God Luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto2kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Ms. Freyva.  The problem is, this is a part of the house, a kind of dining room where the kitties can get out, but the dogs can't get in.  In other words it is sectioned off with furniture, amplifiers [sons are musicians], etc.  I thought about making the guest room the kitty room but Mango likes to be out among her peeps so that wouldn't have worked for her.  So you see, Pumpkin as soon as he was placed in the kitty/dog free zone, dashed off under the couch.  I have read in other posts about some sort of phermone spray that calms cats.  I wonder about that.  

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feliway is the best!  I use the diffuser in the house and it really helps with behavior issues with my four cats.  The spray is not as effective for using in the house as the diffuser is.  The spray is really good for spraying in a crate before a vet visit and maybe fave spots around the house but for the best results in my experience the diffuser plug in has been the best.  Best of luck.  So sorry about your Jasper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto2kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All righty then.  Feliway it is.  I have already scoped it out on Amazon and will order it straight away.  I can't wait to have Pumpy in the house again.  It's so funny the nicknames we give our kitties.  Jasper was Jazzy, Mango is Mang Mang and Pumpkin Pumpy.  Of course my kids had odd nicknames, too.  Paul was Pooka.  God only knows where that came from and Colin Col Col.  I am sure they are traumatized for life...