My poor baby ate poison...and it's my fault.

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure if alot of salt near the plants would be advisable - granted I am not a great gardner though! I had always hear a good way to kill a weed with long roots was to put salt on the root. Is this an old wives tale?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
First of all, I am glad Guiness seems to be doing a bit better today. Don't beat yourself up about it. You were trying to be responsible and bought something that was labelled "pet-safe". .

As far as salt, I am positive it is bad for some plants, particularly vegetables. The hosue we recently moved to has an asparagus bed. I was looking online last week on how to care for it, and it specifically said not to pour salt around the plants. I have always heard of using beer, but never had the problem at the old house. We'll see if I will be buying a case of beer for the slugs over here!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update on Guinness

He is doing well - I managed to give him another does of charcoal last night (3 tablets) without any problems. I am quite pleased as at least I know that the next time he is due to be wormed I should be able to do it with no probs!

I wasn't able to catch him last night - he was hiding in the jungle next door and everytime he came near me he ran for it. I was even tempting him with catnip / laserpen / toys etc but he just knew he was in for more charcoal.

So I called the vet who said it would be okay to give him his final dose this morning, which I did. I went to the hospital this morning (to get my stiches out) and when I came back he was acting funny and sleeping in a really odd position but after about 10 mins he was fine - and is fine now. I think he was just hot and tired.

He did have a bit of a ordeal I must say. Thanks everyone for your help :hug:

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad Guin is OK!!!

We never had a big slug problem, but sometimes when I was a kid they would show up on Mom's tomatoes. She would just give us the salt shaker and send us girls out to torment slugs. We thought it was funny to watch them shrivel up.
It didn't take much salt, and it never hurt Mom's plants when we did it.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I'm a "keen" gardener and have slugs -however not as big as the ones in the UK thank goodness. I never have purchased commercial slug bait because of the safety concerns but the beer (in tuna cans buried in the ground up to the rim). works well.
Or in the evening place boards around the plants and then in the morning turn them over and pick up the slugs!! I'm going to try this one. But what to do with the slugs??? I'm going to toss them onto the road!!!

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad he's okay! We used to have a BIG slug problem in Oklahoma... we just kept pooring salt on them, and eventually, they went away.